Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,790,083 times

Advertisements

I've seen natives tan skins many times; I've always seen it done in the exact same manner. An ulu is used to scrape the skin until it is very soft. Tavra!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yeah, but at the time I was more interested in sledding than tanning...

Hope your doing well!
Thanks. I'm doing ok. Son is having a bit harder time. Being a 13 year old boy is hard enough without the added stuff he is going through. We are moving into a bigger house, with running water so they are looking forward to that. I'm not looking forward to the heating bill... The place had a wood stove in it, two actually. The land lord said they would be agreeable to me having one put in so I am looking for an affordable one.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Not to stomp on the thread.

Any one use the Vexilar Cold Snap Parka an Bibs?
They seem rugged and have a ton of pockets.

Vexilar Wear Cold Snap (http://vexilar.com/pages/wear/wear_cold-snap.php - broken link)

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM

460 posts, read 610,104 times
The coldest I ever got was wearing a down jacket on a sitka black tail hunting trip in November. Got very wet from sweat, and almost froze. Layers and wools and a few man made fabrics inside make up my clothing. No nylon outer, they melt around any thing hot, and puff nothing to wear. Had that happen out trapping at -59 F. Down flying every where.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,514,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Thanks. I'm doing ok. Son is having a bit harder time. Being a 13 year old boy is hard enough without the added stuff he is going through. We are moving into a bigger house, with running water so they are looking forward to that. I'm not looking forward to the heating bill... The place had a wood stove in it, two actually. The land lord said they would be agreeable to me having one put in so I am looking for an affordable one.
No more outhouse? Your little cabin in the woods is quite nice. Will you still have an incline to drive to get to the house?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Not to stomp on the thread.

Any one use the Vexilar Cold Snap Parka an Bibs?
They seem rugged and have a ton of pockets.

Vexilar Wear Cold Snap (http://vexilar.com/pages/wear/wear_cold-snap.php - broken link)
Looks OK. If you buy it get it larger than you need so that you can fit a couple layers under it just in case.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
No more outhouse? Your little cabin in the woods is quite nice. Will you still have an incline to drive to get to the house?
Oh boy do I. The drive home will be much more challenging by a good bit. So much so that I already took video of some of it. I got some good, though used, studded snow tires now though so I'm good.

Big Ass Hill
Big Ass Hill - YouTube

Curvy Bottom (right by the Tanana River)
Drive to new house. - YouTube

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,057,986 times
Quote:
Aren't you going to miss your home made shower?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 AM

Not very badly lol. I'm not much of a foo foo girl but man am I am going to be having some bubble baths!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,057,986 times
Quote:
Not very badly lol. I'm not much of a foo foo girl but man am I am going to be having some bubble baths!
Well good for and I'm glad that you're moving up in the plumbing department but thanks to you I've got my 'hula hoop' shower up and running!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska