Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
No plans on skiing. But I am going to try and get out to the cabin a couple days and unwind. One las t boat ride.
geez....sure hope the winds die down for the boat trip....be careful on the water! looking forward to more photo's from the island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
New here, but ya gotta love that. Telling people to put their heads between their legs, and kiss their ass good bye is always a favorite of mine. Horizontal snow, with temps around 15* recently. Seems to have died down now, but had to break out the plow truck to clear our steep driveway in the mountains.

Didn't see your post Marty, before I wrote this. Heard someone went into the Matanuska as well, from my wife on her way home.
What mountains are you in? Chugach, Alaska Range, interior mountains? Just wondering. Seems like I almost never hear someone say on this forum that they live "in the mountains". I know a thing or two about steep driveways in the mountains (and about plowing them, although not with a truck, but with a tractor). Good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Blizzard conditions. A lady and 2 children went off the long lake hill. No survivors. Not good
Very tragic. While we don't know the exact specifics of the accident, reports are that it was White-out or near-white-out conditions. Most of us are familiar with that area and can probably imagine how this happened. The important thing to remember is that under these conditions it is best to either slow WAY down - like 5 mph - or better yet just get off the road and wait. Trying to press on can have deadly consequences.

Quote:
Case number: 11-110395
Type: Fatal Motor Vehicle Crash

On 11/3/11, at 1647 hours, Troopers received a report of an overturned vehicle submerged in water near mile 86 of the Glenn Highway. Patrol Troopers and members of the Bureau of Highway Patrol, South Central Team responded to the area. An investigation showed that a vehicle being driven by Leah Thompson, 28 of Valdez, was traveling south bound when Thompson lost control and the vehicle slid off the road. The vehicle then rolled at least once, coming to rest upside down and partially submerged in Long Lake. Thompson's two children, Avery McIntosh (5 yoa) and Trinity McIntosh (7 yoa), were also in the vehicle at the time of the crash. Divers were able to get the occupants out of the vehicle and CPR was initiated. Leah Thompson was pronounced deceased at the scene and the two children transported to Mat-Su Regional Hospital. The children were pronounced deceased after arriving at the hospital. The investigation is ongoing and the next of kin have been notified.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Very tragic. While we don't know the exact specifics of the accident, reports are that it was White-out or near-white-out conditions. Most of us are familiar with that area and can probably imagine how this happened. The important thing to remember is that under these conditions it is best to either slow WAY down - like 5 mph - or better yet just get off the road and wait. Trying to press on can have deadly consequences.

Just talked to a Friend that was on the recovery that it was a gal and two small children in car seats, they were coming down the hill by Long Lake and she lost control by the turn out and her car went off into the smaller pond and flipped upside down. He was telling me in more detail, but that was the jest of it.

For a bit he didn't know what to expect, he has two small kids up that way and their mom was driving them to Wasilla. So he was pretty upset heading that way til he got her on the cell phone.

Still not a good outcome for some family.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Still not a good outcome for some family.
That family is very well known around here and there are a lot of people in town affected by this. It's a very sad story, and to make it even worse, the father of those kids lost two younger sisters in a winter car accident here in town when he was little. So now their family is going through all of that again.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Weather here in the Nenana area is light snow and heavy winds... I guess the Parks Highway is really a mess down by Healy to Cantwell. If you don't have to drive, stay off the road! Knowing that I would say it is a safe bet that Broad Pass by the Igloo is a real mess!

Temps are about 19 above right now

Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM

178 posts, read 250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Weather here in the Nenana area is light snow and heavy winds... I guess the Parks Highway is really a mess down by Healy to Cantwell. If you don't have to drive, stay off the road! Knowing that I would say it is a safe bet that Broad Pass by the Igloo is a real mess!

Temps are about 19 above right now

Yep, the roads down here are a mess (as usual). Still some flurries and about 17 above. Which feels downright balmy compared to the -12 earlier in the week.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
Yep, the roads down here are a mess (as usual). Still some flurries and about 17 above. Which feels downright balmy compared to the -12 earlier in the week.
Well it was -27 day before yesterday, so I'm rather enjoying not having to haul as much coal in!

Spent the last few weeks at the Healy Power Plant during the retubing of the boiler, glad the weather held out for that! Not a long drive, but a pain in bad weather!

Drifts all over the driveway though, will have to break out the plow, or to the lesser extent, the snow blower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska