Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 14,338 times

Advertisements

Open fire is just the term used as the day the crews can began the hunt for whales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:03 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonarts View Post
Hi,

Ever since I have been a young child I have yearned to visit Alaska. I'm 43 and married now and still would like to visit. It has become like a part-time hobby learning about a particular area I would like to visit and that is Barrow.
Years ago I wondered what the northern most town in the US was and discovered Barrow. I read about the area, and I even check out the Barrow Ice Observatory web cam to watch the changing seasons. I've got a barrow weather widget and web cam widget on my computer so I can watch the differences in climate from where I am as opposed to where Barrow is. There was a 51 degree difference in temperature the other day!
Maybe someday I will have the privilege to visit, but I doubt if it will be anytime soon. So I was wondering if there is anyone lurking these forums who is a resident of Barrow, or anywhere in Alaska if I can't find someone up their inside the Arctic Circle, that would like to just talk about everything from the weather to understanding native culture.
I'm a scientist at heart and love to learn about people and places. I love to see pictures and video of places far away from me. I guess it is to satisfy a desire I have to travel, which is a desire I can't fulfill due to health issues. So I do the next best thing and try to learn vicariously.
Ideally I would like to get to be friends with a native or long time resident who is interested in starting out with conversations of the differences we have in our respective geographical areas. What is it like to know that you might have an encounter with a Polar bear when you go outside to get in your vehicle to go somewhere? How warm do you keep your house in the winter? Since the water pipes are buried, probably down into Permafrost, how do they keep the public water from freezing as it travels to your house? Oh, I've got plenty of questions like that.
If you are okay with getting to know someone down here in Pennsylvania then email me I'd really like to hear from someone "up there."
OMG. You are SO ridiculous Just like ME! I too look at that webcam, at least twice a day, and I have Barrow in my weather widget in the iPhone. I have looked at that webcam for months. People think I'm weird at work for looking at it, but it's fascinating. And, you're not ridiculous - it was a joke! I love that webcam though.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmThNrth View Post
Open fire is just the term used as the day the crews can began the hunt for whales
Can you please email me pictures as well. I am FASCINATED with Barrow and want to know everything I can. I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-26-2008 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Email taken out by request of user

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 14,338 times
I have sent a few pictures to those who have given their email addresses. Whaling begins on Friday the 5th and once a whale is landed I'll be able to take and send pics later. Now that I have found my camera I will also be going and taking photos around town. We have snow on the ground now so the pictures should be nice.

In addition to whales we also eat walrus. A few have come to shore and have been taken by families as subsistance. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to see butchering so I didn't get any photos. When a family takes a walrus the meat is shared because they are usually quite large. The meat has a nice sweetness to it most likely eaten with pieces of the fat which is quite rubbery and adds a nice texture, we also dip it in seal oil. Because the ice is still hundreds of miles off shore, quite rare, walrus and polar bears have been swimming quite a distance to reach our shores. It is not normal for us to have walrus on shore, they usually stay on the pack ice.

A quick note: A great place to see some photo's of our schools and communities is on the school district's website. Here is the site: www.nsbsd.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska