Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times

Advertisements

My Tahoe has full coverage so I would guess that should be enough coverage or should I need more?

Thanks for the weather tip. I have had that thought in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks. I was going to pack an easy to get to pack of stuff if it was going to be risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
We are learning and getting wiser. We have purchased a Honda Generator EU model. We will be getting an inverter soon and batteries we will purchase in Fairbanks. I have called around for the phone and also found out about the satalite dish network. Lots and lots of homework being done by me for sure.
We are thinking of buying a woodstove here and bringing it up because they are cheaper here.
We got a 4-wheel drive Tahoe this past weekend to help with our life up there if needed.
I remember seeing a post where someone asked if $5000 would be enough to get started up there and I can answer that NO way. There are deposits for the phone,buying a satalite for TV,now granted they probably were going to be living in a town and have regular power which means another deposit. And then the cost of clothing plus money to live on until a paycheck comes in.
But we are excited for sure. We are leaving at the end of March so that we arrive the first of April. I have spoken to the teacher at our little local school and my kids have shared info with the kids there.
Did you buy the Honda EU2000 (2,000-watt generator)? You could have purchased it in Fairbanks (new) for the same Honda price, which is $999.00. But since you already have one, let me tell you a little about this generator: it's an inverter generator. The generator is very small in size, and right on the motor. It's a DC generator that produces the power to run two inverters, and also to power a 12-volt DC outlet. This outlet is used only to charge batteries and such. The inverters use the DC power from the generator, and turn it (invert it) to AC power you can use to run appliances.

However, take into consideration that you may only be able to power one AC-powered appliance at a time depending on the generator's wattage. For example, if an appliance of 1,500 watts should work perfectly, but not two 1,500-watt appliances at a time. Also, lets say that you want to run a power tool that has a motor (drill, well pump, fan, etc.); in this case, you must first know how much starting power the tool's motor needs. All electric motors require a greater amount of power (watts) to start running, so you want to make sure that the "starting" power is not greater than the generator's capacity.

A coffee maker, for example, does not need "starting power." It's the same with a light bulb. Motors require starting power to start, but once running the power load drops considerably.

Inverters used DC power to run, and this power can be supplied from a 12-volt battery. However, you will have to use the inverter for a period of time that is short enough not to deplete the battery. It means that every now and then, depending on the battery's capacity, you will have to turn the inverter off, and then recharge the battery. A solar panel can easily do that for you during the summer months when we have daylight all day. During the winter months you may have to use the generator to charge the battery (or batteries), and at the same time run an appliance or two using the AC power receptacles on the generator's panel.

If you are using an appliance that uses around one-half or lower of the total generator's capacity, once the generator has warmed for a couple of minutes (longer during the winter months), then you can plug the appliance and turn the ECO switch to ON. When you do that, the generator's circuitry will match the load on the generator from the appliance, and reduce the generator's motor speed to match the load. In this condition it should run up to 15 hours on a tank of fuel, which is around 1.4 gallons.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
My Tahoe has full coverage so I would guess that should be enough coverage or should I need more?

Thanks for the weather tip. I have had that thought in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks. I was going to pack an easy to get to pack of stuff if it was going to be risky.
Check with the insurance company to see what will be required for driving through Canada. I haven't needed full coverage when I drove through there, but I had extra cash for emergencies, although that was back in 1979. Always check with US and Canadian customs ahead of time. They will tell you what you may need. Something else, the exchange rate (US/Canadian money) is very close, but you may want to think if it's worth having just enough Canadian money for fuel and lodging while traveling through Canada. I don't know if it's worth the effort today, but year ago I saved some cash by exchanging the money at one of the US border banks. It's possible that it makes no difference now.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 PM

We have picked out the generator we want and have one waiting for us. It is exactly that the Honda 2000EU it is in Fairbanks.
We will be building a battery bank for sure to use with the inverter that we get. Might start out with only 2 or 3 batteries but we hope to build it up like my father in law did because he said he only had to charge batteries every few days. The washer will be one item that will have to operate on select days with the generator. The fridge we are going to have for the first little bit is a small dorm fridge but we will be getting a propane one(fridge) I am pretty sure. The inverter we are looking at is 3000W or maybe it was 4000 I can't remember right off. But it will be big enough for most things. The home already had propane lights and floursent lighting as well. We are going to have to find out who does the propane there and get set up with a tank.

I will check with the Canada boarder about the insurance.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM

Keep in mind that the insurance company can tell you what coverage you need, and usually issue a temporary insurance and card for you to show as needed. Also, check US customs as well.

It seems that you are ready for the big move. Ah, and don't forget that when it's real cold outside you can't turn snow into a snow ball, but very easy to do when snowing during the Spring and Fall, or when the Chinook winds hit the interior and bring more snow. The cold here is "bone-chilling," but not a problem with proper clothing.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-01-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Don't worry about the drive in April, but do pack that easy to get to kit. My mom hauled 4 or 5 of us kids up and down the Alaska highway back in the 60s in an Rambler station wagon. Not a big deal. Keep the car maintained and warm clothes a couple extra flares and your good to go. Stop and take lots of pictures. Get the kids to count cars, animals, pretty much anything to get them to look out the window.

Have fun

Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Heres my trip from April 2006....

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Alcan Trip 2006

Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks so much for posting the pics. I have made a really good penpal up in our new town and she said last week they had some -45 temps,I emailed her back and told her we have some 81* temps. It doesn't even feel like Dec. here.

We are getting more and more ready. Just 3 months 18 days left. Still going through old stuff here and cleaning out stuff that we don't need or want. Getting rid of old papers,clothes,toys you name it.
We have finished Christmas shopping and now we will really start putting back every bit we can. Can't have to many funds for sure since you never know. We had a nice change box going but we got in some less than good neighbors and my husband had me count and roll it all up and put it in the bank. Just incase we get broken into. Had a couple of hundred in there,I was shocked.
My husband has been put on 7-10's for the rest of the month of Dec. except for Christmas Eve and Day. And I have started working 4 days a week to add some extra funds. We had a vehicle that we were going to sale for payoff in March but instead we are taking a check we get in Dec. and paying it off and dropping the full coverage. We think that would be smarter because then that monthly payment we can put into savings and also the insurance will be cheaper. We can then sale it in March and put that money back into our savings. We are just paying attention to what we are doing so that we don't waste money. Gotta have a new set of tires on the Tahoe before we go and a total tune up and go over as well. We are wanting either a new digital camera or a camcorder so that we can document our trip. Hoping to get one on sale after Christmas.
So much going on,and it doesnt' seem like it is going to be long before the big trip.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
If you sell your other car and just have the Tahoe how is your husband going to get to work????

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM

The other vehicle might not make it on a trip that far so we would have to get something once we get there. We will just have to figure that out once we get there and see. If he is working at a remote location mine then I will take him to the pick up point and then pick him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska