Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

Im trying to locate a job and move to healy myself so please post if you have any luck
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
Healy is a terrible place!!! Only nice thing about it is the highway which makes it easy to escape. The locals (year rounders) are nice but in reality it's a drunken, drug haven for the summer workers.The cruise lines put their temporary workers up in shanty camps here. Just imagine housands of immature young people in a small place with nothing to do. This includes hundreds of eastern Europeans on J1 visas, who think the entire summer is a drunken spring break with no consequences. Also, anything that you can buy, which isn't much, cost a fortune. This is top five of the worst places I've been. I'd rather live in Salina KS or Tupelo MS. I've lived in many places around the world and this place is just awful. I don't recommend it for anyone!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack View Post
Healy is a terrible place!!! Only nice thing about it is the highway which makes it easy to escape. The locals (year rounders) are nice but in reality it's a drunken, drug haven for the summer workers.The cruise lines put their temporary workers up in shanty camps here. Just imagine housands of immature young people in a small place with nothing to do. This includes hundreds of eastern Europeans on J1 visas, who think the entire summer is a drunken spring break with no consequences. Also, anything that you can buy, which isn't much, cost a fortune. This is top five of the worst places I've been. I'd rather live in Salina KS or Tupelo MS. I've lived in many places around the world and this place is just awful. I don't recommend it for anyone!
Rose's Cafe serves a mighty fine omelet though.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:43 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
A place is what you make it. Healy has its downsides, but there are many upsides. I play $3000/year in property tax here in BC, but my friends in Healy pay a big fat zero. Nothing. Nadda. Zip. Ziltch. That's a huge savings right there. Housing is a problem because the Princess business has really expanded and housing has not kept up. In my opinion, you should buy a chunk of property, and build on it if you plan to settle down in the area. Even if you don't build, the price of land is going up in the area because of the park activity so you can always sell later, and taxes aren't eating away on your investment like they do elsewhere in the world.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 PM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
I grew up in Healy but all that area is gone now. My dad worked for the ARR and we lived in the railroad homes by the depot and Healy hotel. Have great memories of Trivalley school. I am actually driving through here in a couple of weeks from Fairbanks to Anchorage and plan on taking my kids through to show them where I grew up.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
A place is what you make it. Healy has its downsides, but there are many upsides. I play $3000/year in property tax here in BC, but my friends in Healy pay a big fat zero. Nothing. Nadda. Zip. Ziltch. That's a huge savings right there. Housing is a problem because the Princess business has really expanded and housing has not kept up. In my opinion, you should buy a chunk of property, and build on it if you plan to settle down in the area. Even if you don't build, the price of land is going up in the area because of the park activity so you can always sell later, and taxes aren't eating away on your investment like they do elsewhere in the world.
Property tax in some areas of Alaska is quite high. For example, in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Maybe in Healy there isn't property tax (I don't really know), but what you save on property tax is rapidly spent on the high cost of food. You won't believe how much a simple dish of "fish & chips" (just 3 small pieces if fish) costs in Healy. I do stop by for the omelet, and sometimes "freedom toast" (French Toast) at the place mentioned by blackzzz01 above.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
I grew up in Healy but all that area is gone now. My dad worked for the ARR and we lived in the railroad homes by the depot and Healy hotel. Have great memories of Trivalley school. I am actually driving through here in a couple of weeks from Fairbanks to Anchorage and plan on taking my kids through to show them where I grew up.
Healy is alive during the summer, tourists all over the place visiting Denali Park. It is not a bad place to stop if visiting the park, or just driving to Fairbanks. During the winter there is hardly any work there except for the few local businesses by the road (gas station, a couple of places to eat, and so on).

During the summer the place is packed with students and other people from around the world, all working for the tour companies, and small businesses that deal with recreation such as rafting and things like that. To come to Healy looking for work can turn into a losing situation. The best way to come to it is by applying for seasonal work with Princess and other tour businesses.

Healy coal mining used to be a good thing for Healy, but it seems that our present Federal Government frowns on anything that has to do with the coal industry. However, most of the power plans in the interior run on coal, so at least for the time being there is a little employment in the coal mining operation in Healy.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I GOT CRABS AT THE CANTWELL DOCK. That'll be the logo on the new t-shirts I'll have for sale at the Cantwell Ship and Drydock this summer.
LOL

Hmmmm....I can only think of one type of crabs in the Cantwell Dock, probably the same kind found at the Fairbanks seashore

Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Dang! Old thread, but still funny

Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Healy is alive during the summer, tourists all over the place visiting Denali Park. It is not a bad place to stop if visiting the park, or just driving to Fairbanks. During the winter there is hardly any work there except for the few local businesses by the road (gas station, a couple of places to eat, and so on).

During the summer the place is packed with students and other people from around the world, all working for the tour companies, and small businesses that deal with recreation such as rafting and things like that. To come to Healy looking for work can turn into a losing situation. The best way to come to it is by applying for seasonal work with Princess and other tour businesses.

Healy coal mining used to be a good thing for Healy, but it seems that our present Federal Government frowns on anything that has to do with the coal industry. However, most of the power plans in the interior run on coal, so at least for the time being there is a little employment in the coal mining operation in Healy.

I don't think I would ever want to live there again. I was there before the tourist boom and the changes are a bit hard to take for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska