Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 02:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Interesting....never heard of them..not all that surprising for me.
I totally don't seem to get indie.
Heck, I don't even know what constitutes indie.
--INDIE 101--
Well, technically Indie is a type of record label, but it has become something altogether more than that. The name stems from Independent, as in Independent film, and generally stands for anything non-mainstream. As a genre, indie music varies greatly but is often acoustic (usually referred to as Indie Rock) OR very electronic. My fave indie bands include Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, of Montreal, Tegan and Sara, etc... After an indie band becomes more mainstream, it is often labeled as Alternative (i.e. Snow Patrol, Coldplay, etc etc)
Indie is also a fashion style, characterized by wearing whatever the &^$# you want and calling it artistic.

Last edited by Xa'at; 10-28-2007 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
--INDIE 101--
Indie is also a fashion style, characterized by wearing whatever the &^$# you want and calling it artistic.
Well, H*ll ! I been dressin' indie for like years and years!!! Oooowhee!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Well, H*ll ! I been dressin' indie for like years and years!!! Oooowhee!
Hooray for being indie!! *high fives Goddess*

Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Hooray for being indie!! *high fives Goddess*
Back atcha!!
Thank ya, Thank ya very much!!

***singin' with Montgomery Gentry***
This ain't no give it time, I'm hurtin' but maybe we can work it out, uh uh uh
Won't be no champagne, red rose, romance, second chance, uh uh uh
This is gone (gone) gone (gone) gone (gone) gone

Gone like a freight-train, gone like yesterday
Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang
Gone like a '59 Cadillac
Like all the good things that ain't never coming back
She's gone (gone) gone (gone) gone (gone) gone
She's gone

**the goddess loves music*****

Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
You should party down at the wheathole in Talkeetna some evening. And wholewheat radio plays nothing but Indie.
Main Page - Whole Wheat Radio Wiki

Some very good stuff. I'm gonna try to get up there for this house concert on Nov 15th.
Antje Duvekot House Concert - Whole Wheat Radio Wiki

Scroll down and there are some videos of her playing. I recommend giving dandelion a listen (first one)

Last edited by Rance; 10-28-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: I cain't spel! Does recommend have one c and two m's? ;-P

Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Sweet!

Under the pretense of learning more about the whole 100 fee dealie, I snuck onto AK airlines website and found out how much it would cost for me to fly home next month.
$175! Sigh... Obligations abound, though.

On that note... Listening to KT Tunstall's One Day:

"I would dearly love to run away
From your shadow for just one day
Yeah, I would dearly love to run away"

Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You should party down at the wheathole in Talkeetna some evening. And wholewheat radio plays nothing but Indie.
Main Page - Whole Wheat Radio Wiki

Some very good stuff. I'm gonna try to get up there for this house concert on Nov 15th.
Antje Duvekot House Concert - Whole Wheat Radio Wiki

Scroll down and there are some videos of her playing. I recommend giving dandelion a listen (first one)
Wow Rance Thanks! That really looks interesting. I listened to some of her stuff. I like it. It sounds folky to me, is it considered indie???
The concert sounds great. I could actually make that, I think? Gotta check a few things. Never been to Talkeetna. Gotta figure that out.

Okay, thanks again, now that I figured out how to listen to the station! Why is it never as easy as point and click? They always have to make me work for it.

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 10-28-2007 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Goddess, take a look here for more on that:

MySpace.com - Whole Wheat Radio - 51 - Male - Talkeetna, Alaska - www.myspace.com/wholewheatradio

Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
JimBob and Esther run the wheatpalace and whole wheat radio. They hold great house concerts. Esther just released her second CD in Sept, which I went up and attended her concert.
MySpace.com - Esther Golton - TALKEETNA, Alaska - Acoustic / Folk / Indie - www.myspace.com/esthergolton
2 years ago I went up and attended the 3 Blind Mice concert. It's well worth the trip. I just checked the calender and I'm on days off. So I am there for the house concert on Nov 15th.
Their radio station broadcasts worldwide via internet. They have a great group of listeners. Many have traveled up here from out of state to attend concerts and I've met many great folks.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Speaking of Alaskan music, who here has seen Bearfoot in concert? Not only are they great musicians, but also really nice folks. I've met them personally and they really are great people.
They come through Juneau every year on tour- this summer I saw them in Centennial Hall and it was completely sold out. People didn't think to buy their tickets in advance and so they had to stuff some 1,000 people into the main hall. The folks from Juneau Arts and Humanities Council were up on the stage urging people to buy in advance next time! (It was like the 2006 Harry Potter Party at hearthside all over again! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska