Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You make it sound like Alaska is a smörgåsbord on the hoof, and that just isn't reality. With 653,000 people living in Alaska it is hardly a "self-sustainable" paradise. If those barges and planes were to suddenly stop coming up from the lower-48, you would kill off at least two-thirds of the state population and probably more.

The multiplicity of natural resources CAN be dismissed as a person's "pipe-dream" when that person doesn't have the first clue on what is involved in obtaining them. It isn't like rabbits, moose, or caribou are going to jump into your lap, or birds fall from the sky, and say "eat me!" Why do you think Chris McCandless starved to death? If you think you have the skillset necessary to live off the land, think again. Alaska is unlike any other environment you have ever experienced. I used to hunt in Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, and California. I've taken more deer, elk, boar, pheasant, ducks, geese, and grouse than I can count. Just about everything I knew about hunting and fishing was completely useless when I moved to Alaska. I had to learn new skills from the locals.

Sure, Alaska has more moose, caribou, and bear than people, but then again Alaska is bigger than most countries, and more than twice the size of Texas. How far are you willing to hike in the Alaskan bush to get your game? Assuming you get your game, how are you going to keep bears from taking it away from you?

If you want to pretend that you are Euell Gibbons and stalk the wild asparagus be my guest, but don't say that you weren't warned.
As you'll notice I inclined "SELF-sustainable" will within the context of one's individual stuggle.

None the less lets consider the entire population. Considering a population of 600,000+ would in best practically involve technology. Tidal energy, kinetic surface water, and geothermal in my opinion would be well sufficent. Iceland's energy demands are mostly provided by these measures. They place automotive hybrid, battery power, and hydrogen degradation to the forefront. While great thinking is for from the best choice for energy savings. Animal power and better yet human sweat seems to be ignored every where one looks. Ah, I'm drifting down a tangent...I'll stop.

653,000 ppl can't even compare to the DFW area, let alone the total population of Texas. Enough of that...

Any successful hunter will tell you that the game can not be expected be easy prey. It's a moot point, regardless where you hunt it's expected to be a difficult success. Yet, the odds greatly increase when the game count is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
My thanks to all who gave information.

Including you, Glitch .... you seem to be worried that I'm a McCandless wannabe, but that's not the case at all. I wouldn't WANT to live in the Alaskan bush ..... the mosquitoes alone in summer would probably kill me once I ran out of DEET and I know how hard it would be to survive even in the comparatively moderate climate of California. Nor would I go traipsing into the wilderness with a light load even if I did want to survive for the sake of the challenge .... I'd carry sufficient gear to last a year, and that would probably involve carrying several heavy loads into a camp, including an adequate rifle and case of ammunition, food, clothes, gear .... sheesh, just thinking of it all gives me a headache. But if I did end up in his situation .... which I wouldn't .... I'd sure as hell know how to preserve moose meat.

No, while I can hunt and survive to some extent, I see myself possibly ending up in a bush village some day just because I get tired of having a lot of people and traffic around me .... it's not likely though, since I'm a bit prone to SAD .... but if I did, I'd like to know how to supplement my diet if things get tough. And survivalism is also simply interesting to me as a sort of hobby thing .... a hobby which might conceivably turn out to be useful some day, but enjoyable regardless.

Now it's my understanding that Southeast Alaska has such abundant runs of salmon that it would be difficult to starve there .... don't know if I could handle the rainy climate though.

I suppose some other area, near river and ocean, would have the most abundant meat, fish, and whatever plant foods there might be in Alaska. Our remote prehistorical ancestors were mostly nomads from the evidence I've seen, generally roaming up and down rivers, or seminomadic (having a summer camp and a winter camp).

Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 14,558 times
The combination of the rich soil and four months of daylight would be a stocking potiental. Man the size of some vegatables those gardens grow, crazy!!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Glitch, I'm not allowed to give you any more rep until I give it to some other people first, but your post was right on.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Why do you think Chris McCandless starved to death?
Far be it for me to agree with Texas here, I believe Chris McCandless starved because he ate moldy grain which screwed with his metabolism?
Nevertheless, I do agree with the rest of the topic. The vast majority of us would starve or run away if something happened to Freddies.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Far be it for me to agree with Texas here, I believe Chris McCandless starved because he ate moldy grain which screwed with his metabolism?
Nevertheless, I do agree with the rest of the topic. The vast majority of us would starve or run away if something happened to Freddies.
"His official cause of death was starvation. Jon Krakauer [the author of "Into the Wild"] believes McCandless died from ingesting the seeds of the wild potato (Hedysarum alpinum), which McCandless wrote about eating and blamed for his debilitating final illness. Although they are not commonly known to be poisonous, and the root of the plant is edible, there is evidence that the seeds contain an alkaloid which prevents glucose utilization. However, Dr. Thomas Clausen – of the University of Alaska Fairbanks – carried out extensive tests on the seed and found there were no toxins or alkaloids. (Note that this is the theory that Krakauer presents in his book on McCandless, and differs from the earlier theory he related in his article for Outside magazine, about a second plant — Hedysarum boreale mackenzii, a wild sweet pea plant — resembling the wild potato and known to be poisonous.) In the most recent edition of his book, Krakauer has slightly modified his theory regarding the cause of McCandless' death. He believes the seeds of the wild potato had been moldy, and it is the mold that contributed to the seeds' toxicity." -- Wikipedia

Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
I just came back from "foraging" a turkey and ham sub from the pizza place. It was a tough hunt, I'm exhausted!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I just came back from "foraging" a turkey and ham sub from the pizza place. It was a tough hunt, I'm exhausted!
Not sure way, but I find this very funny. Even have tears

Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
"His official cause of death was starvation. Jon Krakauer [the author of "Into the Wild"] believes McCandless died from ingesting the seeds of the wild potato (Hedysarum alpinum), which McCandless wrote about eating and blamed for his debilitating final illness. Although they are not commonly known to be poisonous, and the root of the plant is edible, there is evidence that the seeds contain an alkaloid which prevents glucose utilization. However, Dr. Thomas Clausen – of the University of Alaska Fairbanks – carried out extensive tests on the seed and found there were no toxins or alkaloids. (Note that this is the theory that Krakauer presents in his book on McCandless, and differs from the earlier theory he related in his article for Outside magazine, about a second plant — Hedysarum boreale mackenzii, a wild sweet pea plant — resembling the wild potato and known to be poisonous.) In the most recent edition of his book, Krakauer has slightly modified his theory regarding the cause of McCandless' death. He believes the seeds of the wild potato had been moldy, and it is the mold that contributed to the seeds' toxicity." -- Wikipedia
Hmm... well we may never know. The truth is, going out into the wilderness and living alone is perhaps admirable, but not very bright. From a survival perspective, you have a much better chance of doing your hunting and gathering warptman style!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM

200 posts, read 718,019 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Modalities (http://altmed.creighton.edu/AKNative/Modalities.htm - broken link)
Thank you, warptman, for posting this link. You have helped answer questions I have been asking. I also visited the Cultural Center link you posted as well. I learned from there as well. You have helped me find answers that will help me attain goals I have set. thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska