Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:47 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

We get our fair share of Tstorms here in Bethel and the southwest Ak...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
And, as one of the most Geologically active areas on the face of the planet, Volcanos are not out of the question either. (does Pacific Rim strike a familiar note?) It's what ya get when ya build a big part of a continent on shifty plates.
Lots of ground tremors in the interior, near Fairbanks. I believe that there are some fault lines by Badger Road, between North Pole and Fairbanks. I remember a few years ago when there was a pretty good size tremor. I was on a ladder working on my house's eaves, about 16' up, and the house starts moving back and forth, as well as the trees. My wife was at the base of the ladder, and she says, "how strange, look at the way the house and trees are moving, but it's not windy." I told her, "it's an earthquake, Cathryn!" and rapidly stepped down the ladder.

Then another time, around 10:00 PM, my wife and I are in bed doing "you know what," and in the middle of it, there is a big bang followed by a shake. It was in the same direction I was going, West to East. I said after the big surprise, "I really felt the earth shake!" My wife started laughing The next day, the GI at the University were asking people to call on the telephone to let them know if they could tell the direction of the quake's movement, and also what people had been doing at the moment. I just could not call and tell them what I had been doing, but told them that the quake was moving West to East. They told me that the plates at the fault line by Badger Road had moved.

Also, we do get lots of thunderstorms during the summer. Some folks have been hit by lighting at the baseball field at Newby Park. Our dog is afraid of thunder

Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
Where at in PA did you live?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Where at in PA did you live?
Born and raised in New Castle, spent the next 16 years living in Pittsburgh, and the last two in Bedford.

Nice pics btw warptman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska