Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM

21 posts, read 65,822 times

Advertisements

The ferry takes 3 days to get you where you are going, Skagway. This might be a tour package where you get off in places and got picked up days later. But, I have never heard of this 8 day package. Cabins are tight and small, but gives you privacy. Lots of wildlife scenes, including whales. You just have to be creative with your time to keep your sanity. Food in the cafeteria is good but expensive. Heck, food is expensive anywhere here in comparison to the lower 48. Go on deck and get cold everynow and then. That's your chance to appreciate nature and keep your sanity from the long ride. Make sure you have a good company for a good conversation or take a lot of reading materials. Otherwise, you will be bored out of your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
I've never found the ferry boring. Commercial plane fights bore me.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
I slept a lot on the ferry...
Not out of boredom, though. There's something about the motion of the ship that just knocks me right out.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Xa'at,.............are.................. very..............sleepy...................to..... ...........a
............you...............getting............. very.................Time...............take...... ........nap. (boat rocking)

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzZzzz...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,416 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetwho View Post
Great post, JustT&Me. ... - if you drink coffee, bring your own coffee and a lexan French press (available at REI or similar stores). Hot water is almost always available and free, ...
Thank you, Forget-yoo-hoo! Yes. I have always traveled with my favorite tea and was going to post that as well, but... I didn't want to press using "free" water on the boat. I also *always* travel with two rolls of my favorite T.P.! (Amongst other things...).

When I was in school, I traveled with a performance group in EUR. Within the first 2-3 stops, *everyone* on our charter knew I was carrying T.P. and giving me a bit of flack for it. Within two more weeks of our summer tour, my fellow-musicians were offering me anywhere from $10 to "name your price" for one of those rolls! I graciously declined ... and let them use the tiny sheets of wax paper they were given in the public restrooms (if they got anything at all)! One of those "Must Have's"!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
well if you won't, I will....HOT WATER IS FREE !!!!
A lot of "vet" ferry riders carry their own tea, coffee, mountain house meals, and the fav of most....Nissan Cup O' Noodles. (hint...take some beef jerky to put in with the noodles while they "cook")

Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Eight days, my lord!
It's three [full] days, max, m'dear.

I dug up some of what I have written in the past on the subject...

Fare Info:[url=http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/]Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF[/url]
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to my art history class.
Thanks for the great info abou the ferry. Could you give me a sense of how big the lockers are for storing things? I am trying to figure out whether to bring a backpacking pack, small suitcase, or duffel etc. I saw you had a pic posted but it said it wasn't able to view it...
Thanks for the help!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM

49 posts, read 232,664 times
It's been a long time since I did this, but it seems to me that I got a backpacking pack into the locker. This was on the Columbia. Maybe someone who has done this more recently can verify that the lockers are that large.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
It would be tight, but I think you can do it. I cant guarantee anything though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska