Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
Thanks for your input. I wanted info. and more input about this. I have suggested to the people that asked me about it that they do some more research before jumping on a wagon just because it sounds good. I also said that they don't live in these areas and might not have an idea of what is "really" going on. I did say that if wolves get hungry they could become dangerous to people living in the remote areas.
I also love wolves and all animals but they do and will pose a danger to people and their dogs. Yes folks in the lower 48 do love to jump on the bandwagon about what goes on up here instead of tending to their own business; have they looked at the wild animals in their zoos lately? Not being nasty, just truthful. If one is going to live in Alaska then they need to remember to not try to make it just like the place they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
If one is going to live in Alaska then they need to remember to not try to make it just like the place they left.
Why not? Isn't that the tradition here for them to come up here and ***** because it isn't like where they left and then do everything they can to wreck it?

It's damn near wrecked already. I guess the lower 48 trash can HAVE IT.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why not? Isn't that the tradition here for them to come up here and ***** because it isn't like where they left and then do everything they can to wreck it?

The thing that always burned me was each person saying they left the Lower-48 to get away from it, and they didn't want to change Alaska... but they did want just this one little thing. Of course each of them wanted a different "little thing", and all totalled what they wanted was to make Alaska just like the Lower-48, which they were running away from.

Of course, then they started building the pipeline, and the place was flooded with folks who didn't give a hoot, and knew nothing, about Alaska. It's been 30 years and we are just now starting to throw the bastards in jail for the resulting corruption...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Amen To Lower 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

As you can see they form opinions even "before" moving up here...and then once they are here they start their politically correct bull and want change. Then I wonder why they left their polluted, over-run city in the first place!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 AM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
Thanks for the attacks folks. Gee I asked a question and then all of the sudden it becomes a lets bash people thread. I was interested on WHY this was being done. I wanted to hear what folks that maybe had lived there a little while had to say,so that I could go back and maybe help educate some people as to why or why not the actions of killing wolves by plane would be necessary. I am not one anyones side about the matter just wanted to maybe enlighten someone that was getting ready to sign that thing that there is always 2 sides to the story. Wow,I wasn't expecting this though, maybe I'm a little to stressed and this just rubbed me wrong. I don't know but my intentions were good I promise you and I am insulted that you called me trash.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
No one was attacking you; my statement was generic. I actually have no problem with you whatsoever. You're going about your move up here in the right way. What gets to me is the people who still think this is the land of milk and honey, where you can take a big cash stash back to the lower 48, and the ones who want to just "build a cabin" wherever. All that sort of stuff. It's gotten real, real old.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 AM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
Oh ok, guess I am just a little stressed. I guess I understand the way you feel just like here most people you meet are just take,take,take and what do I get out of it.Not what I can learn or contribute. I have meet some really kind and helpful people here and I hope to be one that comes there to do better,but also to learn more as well. Money is great and I wish I had a ton don't get me wrong but there are also things in the world that you can't put in your wallet that are far more valuable.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
I wish I had a ton don't get me wrong but there are also things in the world that you can't put in your wallet that are far more valuable.
Family & friends top my list in that department.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Was not an attack..

Quote:
Oh ok, guess I am just a little stressed. I guess I understand the way you feel just like here most people you meet are just take,take,take and what do I get out of it.Not what I can learn or contribute. I have meet some really kind and helpful people here and I hope to be one that comes there to do better,but also to learn more as well. Money is great and I wish I had a ton don't get me wrong but there are also things in the world that you can't put in your wallet that are far more valuable.
How can I say this? Well, most Alaskans don't give 2 hoots what people in the lower 48 think about what goes on up here in response to you're wanting to educate those in the lower 48. So many come up here wanting to make it the way the place is they left so you can understand why Alaskans get more than tired of it.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How can I say this? Well, most Alaskans don't give 2 hoots what people in the lower 48 think about what goes on up here in response to you're wanting to educate those in the lower 48. So many come up here wanting to make it the way the place is they left so you can understand why Alaskans get more than tired of it.
Manifest destiny is at the root of it all. People have the preconceived notion that Alaska is a place to be roped, tied & tamed. They don't realize that the place that they've discovered & chosen to call home could actually be destroyed in the process. OMG I could be talking about Charlotte... I think that the great & powerful ally that will help to stop the influx will be the cold weather. I hope the climate changes make the weather even colder... I wish we had a winter down here I really miss snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska