Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseakayaker View Post
Sure anything helps! I will buy you a cup of coffee when I get there.

I have been talking to a girl in Douglas about renting out a room in a large home. She works for the state and also has a band called slow gun runners. She looks pretty cool. I hope that works out as it is $550 and though I do make good money I like to spend it on other things.
I called the company and the apartments they are renting are part of the Frontier Suites Airport Hotel. Here's a link:

Juneau Alaska Hotels Frontier Suites Airport Hotel

Hotelguide.com - Hotel FRONTIER SUITES AIRPORT HOTEL - Juneau Hotels - Book Hotels in Juneau, Alaska, United States

A picture of the hotel is on the second link, the rooms they are renting are just off to the left of the photo. It's a separate complex and sits above Domino's Pizza and a conference room. I tried to get a google street view of the place, unfortunately the streets are off so google won't let me get to a frontal view. If you want to look, you'll need to get to Patricia Pl and go towards the sun. When you get to the end of the road, it's the building just under the sun.

The hotel is probably within walking distance of the airport and Jordan Creek Center, but I wouldn't walk it with the current weather or when it's raining.

The $550 rent is a good rate. Does it include any utilities? The only problem would be the commute. Depending on where on Douglas Island the rental is, you could be located about 2 miles away from the office, but have a 20+ mile commute. If you don't mind driving, Douglas does have some nice areas.

Be aware that while some places allow pets, many do not, so you'll be limited on your rentals. If you're looking for a house to rent, we used Taku Realty some 20+ years ago. Carole there was very helpful in finding a place that accepted pets. They may have gotten out of the rental business when houses were selling, but current conditions may have made it advantageous again. Good luck and if you have any more questions, please ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 AM

44 posts, read 98,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I called the company and the apartments they are renting are part of the Frontier Suites Airport Hotel. Here's a link:

Juneau Alaska Hotels Frontier Suites Airport Hotel

Hotelguide.com - Hotel FRONTIER SUITES AIRPORT HOTEL - Juneau Hotels - Book Hotels in Juneau, Alaska, United States

A picture of the hotel is on the second link, the rooms they are renting are just off to the left of the photo. It's a separate complex and sits above Domino's Pizza and a conference room. I tried to get a google street view of the place, unfortunately the streets are off so google won't let me get to a frontal view. If you want to look, you'll need to get to Patricia Pl and go towards the sun. When you get to the end of the road, it's the building just under the sun.

The hotel is probably within walking distance of the airport and Jordan Creek Center, but I wouldn't walk it with the current weather or when it's raining.

The $550 rent is a good rate. Does it include any utilities? The only problem would be the commute. Depending on where on Douglas Island the rental is, you could be located about 2 miles away from the office, but have a 20+ mile commute. If you don't mind driving, Douglas does have some nice areas.

Be aware that while some places allow pets, many do not, so you'll be limited on your rentals. If you're looking for a house to rent, we used Taku Realty some 20+ years ago. Carole there was very helpful in finding a place that accepted pets. They may have gotten out of the rental business when houses were selling, but current conditions may have made it advantageous again. Good luck and if you have any more questions, please ask.
Thanks for the links and looking into that. The utilities on that particular place are split four ways. I am still looking at other options. The other good thing is that I don't have to sign a lease and if I don't like it then I can get out. It is still difficult trying to arrange things being out of town.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,323 times
Default Thanks again!

Thanks so much for this information. Very helpful . I have been out of town for the holidays and came back with a flood of responses on here!

Quote:
1) UAS is a small school and has a great campus location by Auke Lake. There is also a voc tech and I think a class building by the downtown high school. I don't know much beyond that.

2) Housing is expensive. Expect to pay anywhere from $600 to $1800 for housing. Prices range from $125,000 for condos to $750,000+ for housing on the water. Figure you can get a 3-4 bedroom house for anywhere from $250,000 to $350,000. Prices are coming down and houses are staying on the market for longer periods (months versus days at the peak).

3) New comers are welcome and kids are the best way to network, as long as you participate in activities with them. Sign them up for sports and participate at school. That's where we found most of our long term friends.

4) Lol!!! There is only one airline in Juneau, Alaska Airlines. We figure we subsidize their routes south with what they charge us. Your best bet is to join their mileage program and credit card to get "free" trips. They usually offer Permanent Fund Dividend discounts in Sep-Oct period.

5) Today, it was 0 degrees in the valley and 14 degrees in town. We usually get a cold period for about 1-2 weeks in Nov/Dec and one for 2-3 weeks in mid-Jan/Feb where it gets below 20 and as low -5. Most of the other time it's in the 20s and 30s during the winter. Usually, we get anywhere from 1" to 24" of snow over 1-2 days, which then gets rained off a day or two later. During the last two years, we haven't seen the rain off, so we see more accumulation. Two years ago, the snow pile from our driveway got as high as our roof. The main roads are plowed so the worst driving is on your street, which doesn't get plowed as often, and your driveway. Once you've been here for a winter and driven, you get used to it, however, there are always stupid drivers on the road who can cause you to get into an accident or send you into the ditch.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links and looking into that. The utilities on that particular place are split four ways. I am still looking at other options. The other good thing is that I don't have to sign a lease and if I don't like it then I can get out. It is still difficult trying to arrange things being out of town.
Other than the commute, the Douglas place sounds good. I agree that you need to be here to make arrangements. You might want to spend a night or two in a hotel before committing to a longer term arrangement.

I assume you might need a car rental since you're flying in. Besides the national car rental companies at the airport, Rent-A-Wreck and Evergreen Ford are available. I've used Evergreen Ford when my car was being repaired, but they changed owners recently, so I don't know if they still rent cars. Their rates were $5-10 less than the national rental companies.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Other than the commute, the Douglas place sounds good. I agree that you need to be here to make arrangements. You might want to spend a night or two in a hotel before committing to a longer term arrangement.

I assume you might need a car rental since you're flying in. Besides the national car rental companies at the airport, Rent-A-Wreck and Evergreen Ford are available. I've used Evergreen Ford when my car was being repaired, but they changed owners recently, so I don't know if they still rent cars. Their rates were $5-10 less than the national rental companies.
Well that place didn't work out. People don't like to commit when your 4,000 miles away! I am going to call another one this afternoon. It is a one bedroom in the Valley for $935. This includes everything. It is on Meadow Lane near the airport. What do you think?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Well that place didn't work out. People don't like to commit when your 4,000 miles away! I am going to call another one this afternoon. It is a one bedroom in the Valley for $935. This includes everything. It is on Meadow Lane near the airport. What do you think?
Meadow Lane is right by the river and is not a bad place to live. There are apartments on the north end of the road. They situated by the highway, so you might get some traffic noise. If it's a 1 bedroom off a house, it should be quieter. $935 is a little high, but if it includes everything, it's not that bad. I'd guess if you had a roommate, you'd be looking at $600-800 on the cost split for a 2 bedroom including utilities.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Meadow Lane is right by the river and is not a bad place to live. There are apartments on the north end of the road. They situated by the highway, so you might get some traffic noise. If it's a 1 bedroom off a house, it should be quieter. $935 is a little high, but if it includes everything, it's not that bad. I'd guess if you had a roommate, you'd be looking at $600-800 on the cost split for a 2 bedroom including utilities.
Well they haven't called me back either. I guess it is four hours earlier there. I am hoping to get a call later tonight.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 AM

Ahhhh...I finally made it! Well...I was in Juneau but I am gone already!!! Work sent me to Anchorage for two weeks so I am exploring Anchorage. I LOVE THE MOOSE TOOTH PIZZA RESTAURANT IN ANCHORAGE!!!!!!!! This is the best pizza/brew pub that I have ever been to...EVER! The pizza is AMAZING and the beer is pretty darn good too.

The food in Juneau is a bit more expensive but not very much if you go to Wal-mart. It is still more expensive than Wal-marts in the lower 48 but at lot less than other store in Juneau. I not saying you should shop at Wal-mart but it is an option. Alaskans take A LOT of pride in purchasing local.

The gas is like $2.33 now BUT BUT BUT there is an AMAZING public transit system that cost about $32 a month for an unlimited pass. The transit system goes all over the place! You can also pay $1.50 per ride or $1.26 per ride if you buy the tokens.

I would not move here if I wasn't financially secure but it is possible if you PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU BUY. I do make good money so maybe I am just naive.

Despite the fact that Juneau always has bad weather...the two or three days I was in town were sunny. It is beautiful of course and I look forward to exploring southeast Alaska this summer.

QUESTION. I moved on January 21, 2009. From what I understand I will have to wait a full calendar year under before I get the PDF (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31). That means that I will not get the PFD until 2011?!?!?!?! (Jan. 2010 - Dec. 31 2010). Did I read this correctly? If this is true that sucks but maybe this will be useful to the next person. GET TO ALASKA BEFORE JANUARY 1 and make sure you can prove it.

I appreciate all the help on this forum. If anyone has any questions I will continue to check this post and answer accordingly.

Last edited by ncseakayaker; 01-29-2009 at 12:40 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 AM

OH and despite what others in this post have said, Juneau is not a dirty place. It is actually cleaner than a lot of places I have been to in the lower 48. It is certainly cleaner than where I came from. It is all relative!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Don't count on the PFD's to be around much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with that program alltogether in the next year or two. Things ain't what they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska