Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am gathering information to help me plan a vacation to Alaska for my husband and myself. I am interested in veiwing the Aurora Borealis and I am trying to determine the best time of year as well as year to do this.
I orginally planned to visit in late November 08, but one the Lodges I contacted for information told me they haven't had much in the way of displays from the Aurora this past year. I then saw on a site that the solar storms cycle about every 12 years. My question is if this is true, where are we in this cycle?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmpm View Post
Hello,
I am gathering information to help me plan a vacation to Alaska for my husband and myself. I am interested in veiwing the Aurora Borealis and I am trying to determine the best time of year as well as year to do this.
I orginally planned to visit in late November 08, but one the Lodges I contacted for information told me they haven't had much in the way of displays from the Aurora this past year. I then saw on a site that the solar storms cycle about every 12 years. My question is if this is true, where are we in this cycle?

Thanks
You get up around Fairbanks in the middle of winter...and you'll see some northern lights. Consider the Chena Hot Springs Resort for a wonderful outdoor hotspring experience and pretty much a garantee to see the lights.
I can't give you the cycle thing...but you can get some current info here:
The Geophysical Institute Auroral Forecast Page

Looks like they are moderate today...and will be raging pretty good tomorrow night. It's already staying light pretty late so I don't think you'd get to see much right now. Middle of winter for sure.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Like Rance said, you need to be here in the middle of winter. Then you need to have clear skies, and you need to have the aurora show. But it seems to me if you plan about a 2 week vacation, spend the time away from the city so you don't have "light pollution", tell eveyone you run into that you want to see the aurora so they will wake you up even if it is 3AM, you will see them.

I still enjoy watching the northern lights after 54 years in Alaska. I will stand outside by myself at 2AM in -30 degrees just to watch. I am usually alone because I can't get the rest of my family to stand out there and freeze. Bring WARM gear...or rent it here.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Like Rance said, you need to be here in the middle of winter. Then you need to have clear skies, and you need to have the aurora show. But it seems to me if you plan about a 2 week vacation, spend the time away from the city so you don't have "light pollution", tell eveyone you run into that you want to see the aurora so they will wake you up even if it is 3AM, you will see them.

I still enjoy watching the northern lights after 54 years in Alaska. I will stand outside by myself at 2AM in -30 degrees just to watch. I am usually alone because I can't get the rest of my family to stand out there and freeze. Bring WARM gear...or rent it here.
Haha this is funny. Living in Alaska for 22 years, the only time I ever came close to getting frostbite was watching the Northern lights. Happened in Fairbanks. I went out on the back deck in -20 with some sneakers on and stood in the snow for an hour. I was so mesmerized with the intense lights that night, I did not notice my feet went numb. My little toe was almost history.

OP. In my opinion, one of the "must do before I die" things is seeing the Northern lights. Especially when they are in full bloom.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmpm View Post
Hello,

Thanks
We are just comming out of the bottom of the solar cycle you mentioned. The more solar flares usually the better northern lights.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 AM

58 posts, read 169,359 times
i live in fort greely/ delta junction. my husband and i moved up here in january, so i cant tell you how the lights are in the fall, but they were absolutely brilliant in march here. it wasnt too cold either so i could stay out and watch them as long as they lasted! even with all the lights on base i could see them from my bedroom window, thats how bright they were! but getting away from street lights, like the other people said above, makes it easier to see them dance. any other questions just ask and ill answer if i can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska