Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 46,674 times

Advertisements

I realize the recent events that have brought your Governor Palin to the limelight has catapulted interest in your beautiful state to an ultimate high. However, I have been longing to see Alaska way before I knew of Palin's existence, for years now.

I dream of Alaska, of seeing her beautiful majestic mountains, lakes. watching whales, caribou, bears catching salmon and frolicking around, taking a plane and seeing the beautiful state by air, taking boat tours, visiting all the large and small towns it has, and learning about it's history and native cultures....and the list goes on.

Please tell me what you think about Alaska, what you love, all you love to do there and what you don't love . I'd love to hear about it. I'm starved for anything concerning the beautiful state. I hope to at least visit by next summer, or possibly take a nursing job there for the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
It's big. I don't like tourists, especially in RV's.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Wow you're really nice. I'm in the WRONG forum I guess. Hope to see you one day in my BIG RV.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Try starting out questions without bringing up Palin. Alaskans are sick of hearing her name brought up in every new thread.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesouthrn View Post
I realize the recent events that have brought your Governor Palin to the limelight has catapulted interest in your beautiful state to an ultimate high. However, I have been longing to see Alaska way before I knew of Palin's existence, for years now.

I dream of Alaska, of seeing her beautiful majestic mountains, lakes. watching whales, caribou, bears catching salmon and frolicking around, taking a plane and seeing the beautiful state by air, taking boat tours, visiting all the large and small towns it has, and learning about it's history and native cultures....and the list goes on.

Please tell me what you think about Alaska, what you love, all you love to do there and what you don't love . I'd love to hear about it. I'm starved for anything concerning the beautiful state. I hope to at least visit by next summer, or possibly take a nursing job there for the summer.
I recently moved here in June and though I have done many things since, I haven't even begun to learn all there is about Alaska...and I doubt I ever will. I have moved and seen much in my 38 years, but Alaska is where I finally have felt I can establish 'roots' as it were.
I have taken a boat out onto the ocean and glimpsed my first Humpback whales, along with many other animals, I have sat in awe of Denali, and I have succumbed to what the husband calls 'glacial fever'....I cannot witness glaciers enough.
Loves? The Nature of the place...even if I don't leave my forest for days on end. Fishing for salmon and seeing my first grizzly up close. Moose meandering through my yards and arguing with my hammock. All the leaves in my forest changing into a myriad of hues that boggle the mind and the cascade of sound as they fall from the branches. Vertical snowfall and listening to the snaps and pops of ice forming in the night. First glimpse of the Aurorae from my back balcony..and it was not even discernible without the camera, but gave me a taste of what is to come. A bald eagle soaring past my head to land on a tree in front of me...the whisper of the breeze from his wings touching my face. The scents are intoxicating, I moved from Wyoming where the air was clear, but there is something 'cleaner' about the air here. Feeling my first earth tremour and being in awe of the power of Earth. Meeting some from this forum this summer
Dislikes? Forgetting the camera once in awhile...

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
Very well said Highlandlady!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Try starting out questions without bringing up Palin. Alaskans are sick of hearing her name brought up in every new thread.
Warpt, behave!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
I hear that the air freight companies are having a special fare next summer for folks who fly their RVs into Bethel.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You are certainly touchy. I just brought her up because she is NOT why I want to visit Alaska. I hope your personality is not indicative of most everyone in Alaska. Last time I checked, this was a free country and we can visit or relocate to any place in the USA we want to. I live an exceedingly increasing touristy state with great climate, mountains and oceans. I love my state, but want to see as much of the USA as I can, including Alaska. Now you can go back to your normal tourist hating self and you do not have to reply to my posts. I hate it when people have attitudes on forums especially with new people just seeking info.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
I can relate to those feelings. The photo thread is your best friend. The first thing that I would do while people are trying to compose their responses to your question, would be to do a thorough search of this section & the Anchorage section. That's what I did. Then I started asking questions. But that's neither here nor there. Have you decided where you might like to visit/live?

Quote:
Hmm... What I love about Alaska is the beauty of it all. Everywhere you look there is something special to catch the eye & tempt the senses. Every city has the charm of a small town. The kind of town where you know everyone & y'all get together at a local bar on a cold night or go watch the kids play baseball or football.

There's always something to see & do & it expands exponentially when you have outdoor activities that you enjoy. If you don't have a camera you need to get one. Most of the best souvenirs that I brought back with me are photos & memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska