Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I am an omnivore, as are the bears. My dentition shows that I have teeth designed for meat-eating, and my digestive tract is also designed to process meat. I don't eat grass, I lack 2nd and 3rd stomachs to regurgitate and rechew cellulose.
This is a specious argument. The human organism, above all, is blessed with a powerful and highly evolved brain. The deepest foundations of our ethics lie in the control of our elemental instincts. To take your own example of grass - yes, you don't have the physiology of a cow but then you also have the ability to cook grass. The central arguments for vegetarianism have less to do with human biology (although now we know that read meat is not good for you) and more to do with belief systems (which may have certain rationale) or a way of life. I grew up in a society where the vegetarian ethos is pervasive and strong EVEN among those, like me, who occasionally eat meat. I find some of the new-age American vegetarian converts to be tight-assed self-righteous dicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Dang it! I can't see that photo here at work starlight!

These are from a couple winters ago driving the iceroads on the Arctic Ocean off the northern coast of Alaska.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM

We've got plenty of grizz on the slope too.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6558/grizzly6zh5.jpg (broken link)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1797/grizzly4lv9.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 PM

We have way to many bears in my area of southcentral AK. Matter of fact the Monster Quest show this evening, did a show on bears in the Skilak Lake area where I grew up. That was pretty cool.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/402/imagineergr6pf8.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I second that the picture is too graphic. If a bear ever chose to attack me,
which i thought would ever happen, I would defend myself with a gun. But that is the only reason. I wouldn't ever do overkill of an animal. Brown bears need to grow in numbers before they should be hunted. I know I know, you will come back with HEY! they are many around. But if it isn't 50 000 or more than its not many. And trust me I love meat, my favorite meat is still beef, pig then nothing after that. The other sort of meats rarely taste as good as beef or pig.
I don't really think as any wild animal as cute. Especially if it will kill me with complete ease. But those caribou or moose that get attacked by bears or wolves. Well thats nature for you. Humans shouldn't try to ruin it even more.
Sorry you feel the photo is graphic, but it is real...

Nature is not all cool sunsets and walks in the park. The only animals that die in "Bed" is humans and our pets... The rest are killed and eaten by those other animals in the food chain, for which we are at the top.

There was a big story on someone had found that Polar Bears were killing and eating each other. They were finding this was some new kind of trend... Fact is that they have been doing it for eons, just some nutcase found the remains of where one had eaten the other by either killing it or finding it dead.

Male bears of all types will kill cubs of the same species and eat them, that makes the female go back into heat, same story, just not talked about.

Got to see a bunch of Orca's (Killer Whales) track down a 900 lb. sea lion and play with it and when they caught it, they started to toss it into the air while it was bellowing, then another Orca would come out of the water and hit it like a bat and ball with it's tail. The seal was alive while they flipped it back and forth while it's skin was being pulled inside out. Pretty graphic, but that is how nature works...

People got eaten a lot until they invented the spear, then bow and so forth. Hunting is what we do just like the rest of the food chain.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So...anyone have any good brown bear recipes?

Have any of you ever eaten grizzly meat?
My mom use to use a pressure cooker and fix it like a roast with garlic, onions, carrots and the like, tasted pretty good and the meat was tender after the pressure broke the meat down.

There were a few friends that made jerky out of it by Copper Center. They made a brine that was a secret and it turned out pretty good as well.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We have way to many bears in my area of southcentral AK. Matter of fact the Monster Quest show this evening, did a show on bears in the Skilak Lake area where I grew up. That was pretty cool.
Are those spots on the shoes from the photographer pissing his pants and the pressure is leaking though?

Good photo though, steady hand on the camera or a really high shutter speed....

Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM

That Monster Quest bear show is coming on at 9:00 PM here shortly. On the History Channel. It covers all the bears including extinct species. I highly reccomend seeing it! It shows some of Skilak Lake where I hang out considerably.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Male bears of all types will kill cubs of the same species and eat them, that makes the female go back into heat, same story, just not talked about.
Not talked about? This is old hat. This kind of behavior is seen in several animals, eg. lion. You want graphic? Then you need to get down to the size of small critters. The ichneumon wasp would make those killer whales look like followers of Gandhi. If you want to find out about them, Google is your friend. In fact, when Darwin first discovered their grisly ways he realized that the idea of a benevolent God was incompatible with some specimens of his creation. But that is how Nature is. The late Harvard biologist Stephen Jay Gould coined the apt phrase "Non-moral Nature." The truth is, the ichneumon wasp has simply outpaced the caterpillar in the evolutionary race.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That Monster Quest bear show is coming on at 9:00 PM here shortly. On the History Channel. It covers all the bears including extinct species. I highly reccomend seeing it! It shows some of Skilak Lake where I hang out considerably.
Thanks, recording it in HiDef....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska