Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,533 times

Advertisements

I work for a major lender, do mortgage processing/closing, but have done almost any type of admin work. I never saw any point in hiding my age, just turned the big 50 this month, but don't tell my brain, it still thinks I'm 30. What about you? Would you be able to live out in the bush or do you have to eek out a living like the majority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,581 times
Major Lender huh? Im guessing Wells. Then you do get my 'theories'! What a royal mess huh? Id love to pick your brain -- always interested in the real skinny ya know. 7 million vacant homes in the US? I think most of the major banks are bancrupt. Reverse mortages still the rage? We'll see 3500 Dow in the next 2 years-- if Im wrong I owe you dinner, Pikes in Fairbanks ok? Madoff acted alone 50BIL$? Impossible.

Ill be 50 next summer too. Is there a place where time seems to stand still? Alaska maybe. Whats that old old saying "the first part of our lives we look at how old we are and the second half we focus on how much time we have left".

No must in ekeing out a living as I have no debt liabilities or dependents.

A home based business would be great and it would prevent negative cashflow for the needs wants and desires.

Got a song for ya...

YouTube - John Denver - Live at The Apollo Theater (1982) [2/11]

Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 PM

What a hoot! The first record I ever bought myself was John Denver
Yep, I work for WF, as with any huge corp, the employees are in the dark about what really goes on. But they are a stong lender, I refer to them as one of the few legit mortgage companies left.
This country is such a mess, I agree with those who say we will never recover. No one left working to be able to buy the few products actually made in our own country anymore, and the snowball is only going to keep getting bigger.
I've been looking long and hard for a legitimate home based business that actually pays enough to be an only income source, haven't found it yet, so if you know of any pass it on!

Last edited by lyoness; 12-27-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,581 times
I've been looking long and hard for a legitimate home based business that actually pays enough to be an only income source, haven't found it yet, so if you know of any pass it on! [/quote]

I'll do that. I think on average it would take a few years to build up to a satisfactory income level .

Ya I heard Wells was one of the few who didnt do subprime, but there derivitive exposure is huge--- I could be wrong , been watching the real fireworks going on over at Citi and Goldman Saks.

Like all things there is a SILVER LINING in this epic societal breakdown of Amerika and thats where One can be......You take care my Alaska friend.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 PM

We did a very limited amount of sub prime until about a year before this mess started and they discontinued the product. WF is one of the only lenders that doesn't sell off their mortgages, they service all their own loans, which is why their requirements for approval are so strict. But they are a major buyer/servicer of other bank orginated, which is where I believe a huge loss came from. So at least I'm still one of the few in the US with a job, but not secure anymore in my neck of the woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
....You take care my Alaska friend.
And you as well

Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
What a hoot! The first record I ever bought myself was John Denver
Yep, I work for WF, as with any huge corp, the employees are in the dark about what really goes on. But they are a stong lender, I refer to them as one of the few legit mortgage companies left.
This country is such a mess, I agree with those who say we will never recover. No one left working to be able to buy the few products actually made in our own country anymore, and the snowball is only going to keep getting bigger.
I've been looking long and hard for a legitimate home based business that actually pays enough to be an only income source, haven't found it yet, so if you know of any pass it on!
So the question is - Do you still have that record?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,873 times
Lyoness, Mr. Prennoke was 50 when he started his journey.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,873 times
HMM. where's that vidoe?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM

351 posts, read 686,272 times
Wow, that big 50 is looming right in my face, even more significant as my brother just turned 50, he's the first male from my dad's side to make it that far - that I know of - family history is difficult as poor rural Nebraska in the 20's didn't keep vital records very safe.

eBay. The friends I'm going visit used to have an antiques store, specializing in antique furniture and repair and refinishing. As age crept up and the store became too much, she transitioned to selling things on eBay.

Over the past 10 years she has managed to do quite well - it helped send her daughter to college - that and she used to provide Karaoke for a bar.

But it's not a get rich quick endeavor. She worked hard long hours - probably a lot more than when she had the store. But it allowed her to be at home with her kids and to take care of the house. And it was something she could do as age (read that physical ailments) crept up. But she is a tough women - I remember once getting a call that she was in the hospital and they were very unsure if she would make it. She kicks a$$.

I've thought of a number of small businesses that I think would do well here. Problem is they all need a fairly good amount of start-up capital and a committment to make it work (read - time, time, time, long hours, long hours, hard work, hard work, hard work, work, work, work.)

I've got another who is now in Turkey - started on eBay and now is a textile exporter and has opened an English language school, and is planning to Franchise the school in Turkey. I wouldn't doubt if he will expand to Greece and other friendly countries in the area. Same thing - time, time, time, work, work, work.

Get my point - I think pretty much anything you want to do on your own can be made to work - but it takes that committment and, work, work, work.
After all - where is the satisfaction in a quick buck.

I would like to be more like them, but I'm actually pretty lazy.

Brian

First ask yourself what you want; then you have to do it.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
So the question is - Do you still have that record?
LOL, I did until last year when my basement flooded, was in great shape too! Now John Denver is just in the ol' I-pod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska