Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,593 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating moving to Alaska and I would love to hear some wisdom from Alaskans (besides the fact that it is beautiful!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,187 times
I think we'll all recommend browsing the existing topics on this forum or asking something much more specific.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
It's much easier to make it here if you have a job before you come up.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 PM

165 posts, read 552,852 times
It's beautiful sure but, there are plenty of negatives too. Do your homework and look at all aspects first.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuttman View Post
My husband and I are contemplating moving to Alaska and I would love to hear some wisdom from Alaskans (besides the fact that it is beautiful!).
What part of Alaska are you looking at. Climate wise it varies greatly from one area to the other (Anchorage vs Fairbanks vs Barrow etc.).

My sis and family lived in Anchorage and Wasilla for 7 years before they moved back to Minnesota. She loved it up there but complained about the rainy summers and general lack of sun, but I hear a place like Fairbanks has much more sun.
The other thing was that she likes to garden but in Alaska it was a challenge to grow the vegitables and such that she was used to growing in Minnesota unless you have a green house. But overall its awesome on sunny summer days. Not much humidity, mountains, forest, etc. and if you like snow and outdoor winter activities you will like it even more.

Oh, and the costs of many things are more than in the lower 48.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM

251 posts, read 706,429 times
Have employment lined up (or a decent amount of money set aside to weather it out until you find employment) for certain. Also, understand the climate of where you are moving to. It goes from rainforest in Metlakatla and Ketchikan to deep Arctic in Barrow.
Also understand what clothing and gear you need before you go. It isn't cheap once you get here and find that you either buy it immediately or risk injury via exposure...

Otherwise, once you understand where you're coming to and how you're going to live, it's the best experience you may ever have a chance to have.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 PM

99 posts, read 220,125 times
I agree...you're going to want the job before you make the trip. I don't really know what you do so I don't know how the job market is...it's probably better here than down south but stuff costs way more up here too. It gets kind of chilly up here too...I assume you'll be living in Anchorage because most people end up there when they first come up anyways, so it's not too bad, but if you're up in Fairbanks it's going to be 50 below all winter. Maybe not all, but it's cold and snowy up there.

Plus side of Fairbanks is that it is more sunny and nice up there in the summer than down in Southcentral.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,519 times
Default living Alask

we are currently living in Ketchikan Alaska and planning on relocating up north somewhere in Anchorage or in the valley and was hoping someone can give me a little insight on jobs, housing and the weather we have only lived in Ketchikan for 2 years we love it here but I'm looking for a little bit more the island is beautiful but I need to be able to drive a little bit more and do a little bit more shopping husband love hunting fishing and the great outdoors so if anyone in the area can give us a little bit of insight we would greatly appreciate it

Old 05-24-2014, 12:03 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy3637 View Post
we are currently living in Ketchikan Alaska and planning on relocating up north somewhere in Anchorage or in the valley and was hoping someone can give me a little insight on jobs, housing and the weather we have only lived in Ketchikan for 2 years we love it here but I'm looking for a little bit more the island is beautiful but I need to be able to drive a little bit more and do a little bit more shopping husband love hunting fishing and the great outdoors so if anyone in the area can give us a little bit of insight we would greatly appreciate it
The only thing that will accomplish is spending more money. You won't really gain anything by coming up here. Given the chance I'd head back down to Ketchikan over Anchorage or the valley anyday.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy3637 View Post
I need to be able to drive a little bit more
Suprisingly I did not find Anchorage to be much of a drivers paradise. There are only a couple options for heading out of town. In both cases you return the way you headed out. If you want to drive to Fairbanks You have a couple more options. Unlike in the lower 48 there are almost no roads going up into the mountains. Almost all highways are 2 lane. During the summer you will swear every motorhome ever built is in front of you going 20 mph under the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska