Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 59,246 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know what Asian American social status is like up in Alaska. I am aware that racial make up is majority white, and Alaska has largest percentage of Native American population in the Union, and there is relatively small black population. I read in some news about Gov. Palin during 08 campaign that race relationship is different up in Alaska. I would like to know what that means....

Since I live in lower 48s as an Asian American, I know what Asian American social status is like. I would think it's just about the same up in Alaska.

Are the Asian communities such as Chinese, Korean pretty much closed society up there due to language and culture difference? Are they seen as non-prominent and non-vocal minority up there?

I think I have a stability of a state job that has plenty of leave times and paying over 50K, but I'm discontented somehow. Given my employment status, is it foolish to contemplate such a long haul as a minority??

I would consider moving up there only if I can get a job offer before the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM

322 posts, read 902,769 times
In Fairbanks, there is at least some Asian community. There are quite a few Koreans and Filipinos here. I know there are a couple of Korean churches. We also have a lot of Asian restaurants for a town our size - lots of Thai, some Chinese, some Japanese, and some Korean. We even have a couple of Asian grocery stores.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 59,246 times
Hmmm.... I don't mean to get into the politics, but I kind of wonder why Alaska was characterized as having NO DIVERSITY during the 08 WH race down here in lower 48s.... I was thinking NO DIVERSITY in Alaska is probably a bit of exaggeration even though I've never set my foot up there...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdc2009a View Post
Hmmm.... I don't mean to get into the politics, but I kind of wonder why Alaska was characterized as having NO DIVERSITY during the 08 WH race down here in lower 48s.... I was thinking NO DIVERSITY in Alaska is probably a bit of exaggeration even though I've never set my foot up there...
A lot of portraying Alaska comes from people that have no clue, based on very little solid, reliable information, and have probably never been in the state. It is very easy to make assumptions about anywhere on heresay, or the actions of a few select in the limelight...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM

322 posts, read 902,769 times
Filipino American Society of Fairbanks, Inc. Filipino American Society of Fairbanks

I also forgot to mention the nail salons. We have several of those in town and most of those are owned and operated by Vietnamese. I will say that as far as minorities go here, I observe more Asians around town than I do either African Americans or Hispanics. That is just a personal observation, not necessarily a fact.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:23 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
The Filipino community is likely the largest Asian minority group in Alaska with Filipino community centers in the larger cities. Most other Asian groups are not large enough to support similar community centers, except in Anchorage but I'm not familiar with any Asian communities there.

For the most part, there is no international district in any Alaskan city like you find in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles and no one neighborhood where a majority of Asians live (again there could be in Anchorage). There are Asian stores and restaurants in the major cities and even in some smaller cities. From a racial perspective, I have not seen any discrimination against Asians or any other non-native minority, but that's not to say it doesn't exist.

If you feel you need to be part of an Asian community, I'd say Alaska isn't for you, unless you're Filipino, which has the largest support group. Again, Anchorage may have more. If an Asian support group is not a necessity for you, then you'll do alright here. I've been in SE Alaska for over 20 years and have not had any problems and love living here.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 AM

140 posts, read 470,780 times
Unalaska, Alaska.
As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 4,283 people, 834 households, and 476 families residing in the city. The population density was 38.6 people per square mile (14.9/km²). There were 988 housing units at an average density of 8.9/sq mi (3.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 44.20% White, 3.67% Black or African American, 7.70% Native American, 30.63% Asian, 0.56% Pacific Islander, 9.32% from other races, and 3.92% from two or more races. 12.86% of the population were Hispanics or Latinos of any race.

Idk if you want to live there, however...lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
There really is not an Asian Section of town in Anchorage or Fairbanks. There is no China or Korean town. There's more or less one strip mall in Anchorage that is Asian, it is midtown. Anchorage and Fairbanks is not broken up by race like many communities. There is not an Asian side, Black side, Native side, etc. Its all pretty mish mashed. If you are wanting to find other Asians in the community the best place is church (ie; Phillipinos found at Holy Rosary Catholic Church Downtown, Koreans at churchs that have Korean on the outside, etc.)

~Kash

Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Bethel has a rather large Korean Community, they have their own church here, too.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdc2009a View Post
Alaska was characterized as having NO DIVERSITY during the 08 WH race down here in lower 48s.... I was thinking NO DIVERSITY in Alaska is probably a bit of exaggeration even though I've never set my foot up there...
That's because that message was being spread by people with an agenda. I have never noticed any anti-asian sentiment up here, or any anti-other minority sentiment for that matter. In fact, one could argue that Alaska is probably one of the more progressive states in this area because we have numerous anti-discrimination and Alaska Native Utilization statutes on our books. Does this mean that there is absolutely no discrimination anywhere up here? Of course not, it probably exists in isolated cases just like any where else.

Anchorage has a Japanese Cultural Society that meets once a month. I would imagine that there are others for for Korean, Chinese, Fillipino, Samoan, etc.

My wife and I are both Asian BTW - Well, I'm half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska