Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times

Advertisements

What, I'm not being paid to live here?
Oh wait, I am being paid, but I'm working for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Sorry, but I am going to hang on to the dream of the little log cabin on a lake, fairy tale or no
Well...come this time next year we'll have a cabin on the lake we could probably rent for a week or something. It's on an island tho.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM

164 posts, read 328,637 times
Really what is wrong with us wanting to live a happier life somewhere we want to be? Some of you all act like we are invading your property on here and other forum posts, I am not trying to take anything away from anyone but last I heard Alaska is part of the US and I have been a resident of the US all 29 yrs of my life and if I have thoughtfully chosen Alaska as my future home state (after much more consideration than any of you can imagine) then why can't it be and why are all of you so hard on us "lower 48ers" for wanting a better life for ourselves...?

I came on this forum to get insider information and maybe just maybe develop a friendship or two so I wouldn't feel quiet so alone when I get there.. not to get treated like a naive little outsider that don't know what she's getting herself into.. if I fail, I fail, my problem not anyone else's.. I just don't have money flowing out my *** to be able to vacation there before I move there, I wouldn't have the money to vacation anywhere whether it is Alaska or Oklahoma for that matter, I am making a life changing decision not just looking for something fun to do for a weekend..

Can you guys give us "dreamers" a break please... its hard to live everywhere right now not just in your little piece of the planet..

Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
Really what is wrong with us wanting to live a happier life somewhere we want to be? Some of you all act like we are invading your property on here and other forum posts, I am not trying to take anything away from anyone but last I heard Alaska is part of the US and I have been a resident of the US all 29 yrs of my life and if I have thoughtfully chosen Alaska as my future home state (after much more consideration than any of you can imagine) then why can't it be and why are all of you so hard on us "lower 48ers" for wanting a better life for ourselves...?

I came on this forum to get insider information and maybe just maybe develop a friendship or two so I wouldn't feel quiet so alone when I get there.. not to get treated like a naive little outsider that don't know what she's getting herself into.. if I fail, I fail, my problem not anyone else's.. I just don't have money flowing out my *** to be able to vacation there before I move there, I wouldn't have the money to vacation anywhere whether it is Alaska or Oklahoma for that matter, I am making a life changing decision not just looking for something fun to do for a weekend..

Can you guys give us "dreamers" a break please... its hard to live everywhere right now not just in your little piece of the planet..
You haven't heard of the AIP then have you?

Having seen my home state destroyed by flatlanders (outsiders) I see precisely why not every outsider is welcomed with open arms...but you'll find if you're a decent person and don't try to turn the state into where you left or another CA or whatever, aren't some crazy PETA type, etc., you'll find people pretty friendly in AK...

You don't need to take an expensive vacation...just fly up with a bit of gear and a good backpack and explore the areas you're interested in. All I did when I checked out some land.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Wait a minute Rance. Are you telling me that if I move to Alaska I'm not getting the cabin on a lake?
Not even one on a stream where the salmon leap out (past the friendly local bear) onto the grill.
And what's this about the cash? You expect me to pay to live there?
Well that's just not very hospitable.
No jackets either? (maybe ya got tee shirts?)
Well you can get a cabin on a lake but it's gonna cost you...money and work...

Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1,347 posts, read 3,913,807 times
I can understand where Alaskan's are coming from. It does make me a little angry that more and more Northerners such as people from MD, NY, and PA come down to NC and buy up all the beach land because it's cheaper. But it does make me feel like an a-hole at the same time. Isn't much you can do about it. But anyway, I was reading the AIP website and found this in the FAQ:

Q:If Alaska became independent, would U.S. military bases leave?
A: The strategic location of Alaska would indicate that it would serve U.S. interests to maintain a presence in Alaska. The military are good neighbors. There would be no compelling reason for the military to leave Alaska.

If the military did leave, what would Alaska's strategy be to defend itself in time of war?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
JerseyKat, bajadrmin and all other dreamers....first I think you need a tad bit thicker skin....the responses you are getting are a reality check... not meant to discourage or say your dreams cannot happen. If you are as you say "I am making a life changing decision not just looking for something fun to do for a weekend.." then with that you have to have made the decision to be happy regardless of how to unfolds. You can have your dream of a cabin on the lake or river, it is not going to be easy or cheap, work is not going to be easy, the daylight change is not going to be easy...and on and on ....my husband and I are doing just that...we bought land on a lake on the Kenai, we will be building a house....but we are not starting out with nothing. It will take everything we have worked the past 30 odd years for financially. Finding work will be a priority and necessary to survive the future in Alaska.
Keep dream'n and put plans in order to make it happen!!! Best of luck to ya!!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,485 times
Arctic I do know nothing is free, sorry my reply was an attempt at humor in response to Rances comment.

Bajadrmin I'm not sure on your venting here. I did read your earlier thread and the vast majority of replies were informative and polite.
Please don't take offense where none is meant.
Moving to AK is a big move compared with the majority of interstate moves within the United States.
Not only is one moving to a state which is far geographically from the lower 48. But for the majority of people the move is to a climate zone they have never experienced before.
So you will find that the posters here can be blunt about the reality of the
situation in AK. They want to keep people from moving up based on the impression given from TV reality shows versus actual reality.
Also they answer the same questions over and over, you will find numerous threads on "i want to move to alaska". It gets a bit much to be asked the same question repeatedly.
They are not rude but honest. But possibly many find this too honest and believe it's Alaskans keeping their good thing to themselves.
Rather contrary to that I would say Alaskans are extremely generous and
open about the state they live in and advising people on moving up.
They just don't want people moving up without knowing what they are getting into.

BTW I'm not from Alaska nor am I moving to Alaska in the near future (but ya never know).

Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Arctic I do know nothing is free, sorry my reply was an attempt at humor in response to Rances comment.
Oh I know, I was just saying that while there aren't free cabins by the lake for everyone who moves to AK, like elsewhere, a person could get one.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I can understand where Alaskan's are coming from. It does make me a little angry that more and more Northerners such as people from MD, NY, and PA come down to NC and buy up all the beach land because it's cheaper. But it does make me feel like an a-hole at the same time. Isn't much you can do about it. But anyway, I was reading the AIP website and found this in the FAQ:

Q:If Alaska became independent, would U.S. military bases leave?
A: The strategic location of Alaska would indicate that it would serve U.S. interests to maintain a presence in Alaska. The military are good neighbors. There would be no compelling reason for the military to leave Alaska.

If the military did leave, what would Alaska's strategy be to defend itself in time of war?
I don't think Alaska can become independent. The Federal Government won't allow it, because of Alaska's strategic location and vast source a=of natural resources.

Putin and other Russians have said numerous times that they would like to take Alaska back. Without a strong military force, Alaska may not be able to defend itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: