Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,860 times

Advertisements

Hi there, My husband is possibly getting a job in Homer, Ak and we have three kids ages 5, 9, and 12. We home school right now, but im just curious as to the quality of the schools in Homer? I have seen that they are very small. Not a bad thing for sure. Does anyone have any insight for me on this subject? Also if anyone has any home school info that would be much appreciated!

On another note, what do you think of Homer? Is it a good place to raise your kids? My husband grew up in Anchorage and Fairbanks. He's very excited about the possibility of moving back. I on the other hand have only been to AK in the summer. We were doing work at a cabin in Big Lake and stayed in Wasilla. I did love itthere in the summers. We are an outdoorsy family, we have horses. Im thinking that having horses is probably not that easy of a thing. Although I did find a Pony Club in Homer of all places!! How is the cost of living there? I know that it's a bit higher than the national average just from looking up info. But it's hard to put a figure on statistics. How much is gas there right now? I saw in a safeway ad that milk was $3 something a gallon, is that about right? Are your fruits and veggies outrageous?

Im a planner and don't like surprises. LOL So im trying to find out as much as possible so I know what to expect. It does seem as though he will get this job. They are flying him for a face to face interview on July 13th. We live in Yacolt, Wa right now.

I really appreciate any information and insight you might be able to give me.

Blessings,
Angel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 AM

244 posts, read 486,108 times
Cant help yah with the schools but i did spend some time running around the safeway in homer comparing prices with what i pay in SoCal. Milk and eggs were about the same, Vegetables were a little bit more there maybe 10% at most. Meat was about the same as vegetables. Cereals canned foods frozen foods were about the same as i pay here. The shock was Beer was a lot more! $18 for an 18 pack of beer. Here i pay that for 30 packs of beer. Cokes were about $1 a twelve pack more there too.
If you factor in the lower sales tax the costs were overall comparable but Homer is a bit more expensive. Im figuring weekly grocery bill will be no higher then 5% more. Gas was about 25 to 50 cents a gallon more there but varied widely by area.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Children schooled at home by their parents or guardians are exempt from the Compulsory School Attendance Law. Parents are not required to register with the state or their local school district, and no testing or other requirements are placed on home schools not funded with public dollars.

Homeschooling In Alaska
EED - Alaska Statewide Correspondence Schools (http://www.eed.state.ak.us/Alaskan_Schools/corres/Directory.cfm - broken link)
Homeschool in Alaska with Interior Distance Education of Alaska

As far as Homer is concerned, it is a nice small community with a lot of charm. Or as it is referred to in their bumpersticker:

"Homer, a quaint little drinking village, with a fishing problem."

Your biggest problem will be finding employment. In such a small community there will not be many job opportunities. The cost of living in Homer is slightly higher than Anchorage, but not much different from Soldotna, Sterling, or Kenai. Living in Homer is about 25% to 30% more expensive than what your are used to living in Washington state. Particularly in the areas of utilities (expect them to be double what you are used to paying). Just about everything sold in Alaska is shipped or flown up from the lower-48.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,860 times
Thanks for the reply and the home school links. If we moved to Homer it would be because my husband was already hired for the job there. He has a second interview on July 13th and they are flying him up there. So who knows. It sounds as if it my happen. My husband really hopes so. He is a alaskan through and through.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Homer school info?

Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
I home schooled my children for many years and I find that it's the best education you can give your child. A great online resource for home school parents is [url]www.homeschool.com[/url]. Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 07-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: First time poster border line spammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska