Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

I guess maybe I'll work on losing my old people accent. On second though I guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Natives definitely have a distinct accent, which is made fun of often in Anchorage.

In my opinion, "non-natives" who were actually raised in Alaska also have a less-distinct accent. We speak a little slower than most americans, not drawled though. Kind of a slow mumble maybe. People tell me that I sound Alaskan all the time. The woman I'm dating said I sounded Alaskan, and later told me that was a nicer way of saying I sounded like a pothead.

Since people in AK (other then the Alaskan Natives), come from "all" over the place.....I have no idea what an Alaskan accent would be ? ?.. Texan, Oklahoma, California, NY...Midwestern States....you name it.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I guess maybe I'll work on losing my old people accent. On second though I guess not.
Yes I'm wondering just what is an "old people" accent ? Never heard of that one.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Yes I'm wondering just what is an "old people" accent ? Never heard of that one.

Hmmmmm....it is the one most of us have here

Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Hmmmmm....it is the one most of us have here
Pleeeeeeease speak up - I can't "hear" you. LOL....

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Pleeeeeeease speak up - I can't "hear" you. LOL....
Not hearing comes with the territory, how the heck would we know them old accents if we can't blessed hear'em...you need some aids girlee!

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-10-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: I mean hearing aids... :)

Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
eh?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
Quote:
[/b]

Since people in AK (other then the Alaskan Natives), come from "all" over the place.....I have no idea what an Alaskan accent would be ? ?.. Texan, Oklahoma, California, NY...Midwestern States....you name it.
Those were her words, not mine, but I've noticed a subtle accent with people who were raised here myself included. Like I said I think we speak slower, more space between our words, and maybe a little bit monotone.

People raised somewhere else usually carry the accent of where they are from. Palin sounds like she's from North Dakota or Minnesota to me, so maybe her parents were from there. My parents were from Oregon and that probably affects the way I talk.

The native accent exists, you can't deny it, I don't think it's racist to point it out. I know a lot of natives from all over the state. Natives raised in Anchorage or Fairbanks don't have a strong accent but those raised in the bush do.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Those were her words, not mine, but I've noticed a subtle accent with people who were raised here myself included. Like I said I think we speak slower, more space between our words, and maybe a little bit monotone.

People raised somewhere else usually carry the accent of where they are from. Palin sounds like she's from North Dakota or Minnesota to me, so maybe her parents were from there. My parents were from Oregon and that probably affects the way I talk.

The native accent exists, you can't deny it, I don't think it's racist to point it out. I know a lot of natives from all over the state. Natives raised in Anchorage or Fairbanks don't have a strong accent but those raised in the bush do.
Yes that is what I said, the accents are from people "all" over other then AK Natives. No it's not racist to point out that AK Natives do have an accent. I have found that the AK. Natives do speak clearly and I can understand them a whole lot better then alot of the folks moving up here.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
I guess when you say "AK Natives" some people tie it to race and some tie it to where you were born. I was born and raised in Alaska but I'm white. I believe I have somewhat of an "Alaskan" accent but when I say native accent I'm talking about the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska