Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times

Advertisements

When I went out to eat in the valley & in Anchorage I noticed that while the food may be excellent, the service rarely is. The two times I went out the service was horrible. And in one place I noticed that a tip was added to the price of the food. So when you go out to eat do you tip based on the entire experience? The food? The service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
I tend to tip on the service first then the entire experience.

The only time I didn't tip was when they served everyone else and it was mostly eaten before they came back and said the meat looked spoiled for what I ordered and did I want to order something else. I would have been fine if they told me before everyone was served, but to wait until everyone was almost finished was unreasonable.

While I tip to show my appreciation of the service and experience, there are people here who just don't tip. Maybe that's why the one place adds the tip to the bill. A lot of places will include the tip if the group is over a certain number of people.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
I tip based on the food. Generally service here seems to be slow and unattentive. Just a different way of living life.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,588 times
Tipping is a combination of both service and price. As I know that servers make less than minimum wage they use tips to make up the difference or more. So for that reason I usually go with at least the average of 15%. If service is great I go 20% or more. When a meal is stellar and the servers rock and are attentive they are working that tip and deserve it. Bad service I go 10% or less. I'm talking really shoddy such as they spill stuff, I have to hunt them down, etc. Generally unless the server is a total tool I will tip.
I've always taken TIP to mean "to insure promptness" based on service.
The caliber of the food is a problem of the cooks not the servers unless they are part of the food prep. Food that is vile gets a complaint but I won't penalize the server for that.
(can you tell I waited tables once!)

Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
The places we've eaten at have had good service, mostly. They tend to leave you alone more here, but in my view, that's a good thing. I hate being bugged while eating.

I normally tip for service, then how the food may have been. The servers are paid mostly by tips. At one time, long ago, you would tip before being served, that's where Tip(s) comes from - To Insure Proper Service.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
I think the norm is to tip for service as the server has no ability to ensure quality of food, and tips don't go to kitchen staff. Well, down here anyway. I really hate bad service though, unless they have understaffed the restaurant in which case pity on the servers!

Is there a lack of competition up there or something which has led to so many reports of bad service in restaurants?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
If they bring the food and it's edible that's pretty good service. I ain't payin to be smiled at.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
When I went out to eat in the valley & in Anchorage I noticed that while the food may be excellent, the service rarely is. The two times I went out the service was horrible. And in one place I noticed that a tip was added to the price of the food. So when you go out to eat do you tip based on the entire experience? The food? The service?
Wow, we put you up, gave you a room (albeit not all that warm), fed you, Sophie let you play with her, left the light on for you and you post about our service being horrible.. At least we know why we didn't get a tip.

I am joking of course

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If they bring the food and it's edible that's pretty good service. I ain't payin to be smiled at.
You're easy to please!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
[quote=Jerseykat;10975989]Tipping is a combination of both service and price. As I know that servers make less than minimum wage they use tips to make up the difference or more.

Servers in Alaska do make the minimum wage, fortunately for them. That is still not enough to survive. I read something recently that said to afford a two bedroom apartment in Anchorage, you had to be making around 40K per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska