Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

You are welcome. I'll work on something this weekend. I'm heading to Anchorage tonight and up to Fairbanks on Friday morning. I'll be in Fairbanks until Tuesday. If you happen to get there then, let me know, would be nice to meet up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You are welcome. I'll work on something this weekend. I'm heading to Anchorage tonight and up to Fairbanks on Friday morning. I'll be in Fairbanks until Tuesday. If you happen to get there then, let me know, would be nice to meet up.
We should be in Fairbanks by Monday if all goes well. I will call you when we get in and maybe we can do coffee. Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM

31 posts, read 85,157 times
I treat others with respect...I stop to help people stranded on the side of the road or in ditches..which not once I have I had this help offered to me. I treat people at work with respect and have them turn around to stab me in the back and create drama to the point it's unbearable to work there. I have had two people tell me that those same people do it to everyone new coming in and they don't care. I have had companies hang up on me and tell me they will order the part for my vehicle when they feel like it...and then tell me they will call when it's in which will be about 4 weeks...after 4 weeks I call and they say it's been sitting there for 3 weeks and since I didn't call they sold it to someone else and then tell me I have to wait even though they told me they would call when it arrives. I have not met a nice person here yet...I am not mean or nasty to anyone here and haven't been since I want to make friends...I have been told by 3 people at work and 2 people that work for the state, 3 people here with the military and 1 cop..and 4 store clerks that the people in AK are here because they want to be left alone or they can't make it anywhere else and the rest are born here and don't know the difference. I have been told by several people they have more than enough friends and don't have time for any more. I have lived in this neighborhood for years and don't know a single person, the first day I moved into my house down in the lower 48 I had several neighbors come to welcome me and offered to help paint my house...within months I knew all my neighbors and we were all friends...everyone helped everyone..Just don't understand how come the people up here are not as friendly....I have become this way after several years here...but I am never nasty to people as I have been treated by Alaskans. So don't judge me or assume you know me and that I treat people this way I don't. I just want to warn everyone coming that thinks this is such a wonderful place to live that it's not as great as they think or even I thought. Oh it's a beautiful state with lots of scenery..I'll give you that...but it's expensive to live here and with no friends it's miserable to live here and with cliques at work treating you like crap to where some of your co-workers ask why you put up with it and your reply is because I need the money is wrong, then when you go to the boss to make a complaint she does nothing, why? because she is part of the clique and it becomes ten times worse! So When I ask if my co-workers need help as she is struggling to juggle many things in her arms and open her door and she tells me she doesn't need any help from me, or when I offer to help her finish cases and she replies I don't need it from you...and when you are ignored..yet when I leave and I see my co-workers cars in the parking lot and their headlights are covered in mud as I am cleaning mine off and I go take the windex to their lights and clean them and brush off the snow off their cars too and then leave before they come out and don't tell them, but know that I did something nice for them makes me feel good even though they still treat me like crap. But I never ever make a person feel like they are not good enough or treat them as I have been treated..I do things for people because I like to help. yet when I get asked why I was a little late to work one morning and I tell them it's cause I was helping a old lady who was off the road stuck in the snow..and as I passed I saw her on her knees brushing snow away from her tires and a little girl in the front seat and others passing her..I stopped to help pull her out..you know what they said to me at work, WHY?? and then said "I would never do that for anyone" so I asked them what if it were them, wouldn't they want help? and they said they didn't care. that is what I get from people here. So for you Warptman to judge me without knowing me is just proof that people are not caring, empathetic, sympathetic or caring up here. I will not turn into that kind of person...I love helping people and I have a caring heart I have treated and still do treat people as I want to be treated yet still get the same unkind uncaring responses...have a great day and try not to judge people before you know them.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 PM

31 posts, read 85,157 times
[quote=Nephler;12988437]I doubt Masterloo knows what a loo is.[/quote

A Loo is the British term for a Bathroom.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Have a safe trip and hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterlu88 View Post
I treat others with respect...I stop to help people stranded on the side of the road or in ditches..which not once I have I had this help offered to me. I treat people at work with respect and have them turn around to stab me in the back and create drama to the point it's unbearable to work there. I have had two people tell me that those same people do it to everyone new coming in and they don't care. I have had companies hang up on me and tell me they will order the part for my vehicle when they feel like it...and then tell me they will call when it's in which will be about 4 weeks...after 4 weeks I call and they say it's been sitting there for 3 weeks and since I didn't call they sold it to someone else and then tell me I have to wait even though they told me they would call when it arrives. I have not met a nice person here yet...I am not mean or nasty to anyone here and haven't been since I want to make friends...I have been told by 3 people at work and 2 people that work for the state, 3 people here with the military and 1 cop..and 4 store clerks that the people in AK are here because they want to be left alone or they can't make it anywhere else and the rest are born here and don't know the difference. I have been told by several people they have more than enough friends and don't have time for any more. I have lived in this neighborhood for years and don't know a single person, the first day I moved into my house down in the lower 48 I had several neighbors come to welcome me and offered to help paint my house...within months I knew all my neighbors and we were all friends...everyone helped everyone..Just don't understand how come the people up here are not as friendly....I have become this way after several years here...but I am never nasty to people as I have been treated by Alaskans. So don't judge me or assume you know me and that I treat people this way I don't. I just want to warn everyone coming that thinks this is such a wonderful place to live that it's not as great as they think or even I thought. Oh it's a beautiful state with lots of scenery..I'll give you that...but it's expensive to live here and with no friends it's miserable to live here and with cliques at work treating you like crap to where some of your co-workers ask why you put up with it and your reply is because I need the money is wrong, then when you go to the boss to make a complaint she does nothing, why? because she is part of the clique and it becomes ten times worse! So When I ask if my co-workers need help as she is struggling to juggle many things in her arms and open her door and she tells me she doesn't need any help from me, or when I offer to help her finish cases and she replies I don't need it from you...and when you are ignored..yet when I leave and I see my co-workers cars in the parking lot and their headlights are covered in mud as I am cleaning mine off and I go take the windex to their lights and clean them and brush off the snow off their cars too and then leave before they come out and don't tell them, but know that I did something nice for them makes me feel good even though they still treat me like crap. But I never ever make a person feel like they are not good enough or treat them as I have been treated..I do things for people because I like to help. yet when I get asked why I was a little late to work one morning and I tell them it's cause I was helping a old lady who was off the road stuck in the snow..and as I passed I saw her on her knees brushing snow away from her tires and a little girl in the front seat and others passing her..I stopped to help pull her out..you know what they said to me at work, WHY?? and then said "I would never do that for anyone" so I asked them what if it were them, wouldn't they want help? and they said they didn't care. that is what I get from people here. So for you Warptman to judge me without knowing me is just proof that people are not caring, empathetic, sympathetic or caring up here. I will not turn into that kind of person...I love helping people and I have a caring heart I have treated and still do treat people as I want to be treated yet still get the same unkind uncaring responses...have a great day and try not to judge people before you know them.

How long have you been in Alaska? I seem to recall you posted once about a year or was it 3 years?

Regarding the treatment you say you have received from others, is it mainly in Palmer?

And last, are you working for a government agency or social service type agency?

I'm just trying to sort out what has went so wrong for you.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I'm just trying to sort out what has went so wrong for you.
Getting through the paragraph taxed my mental capacity to the limit. I need to lay down.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
It's a shame when things go bad esp. at work and it's also sad to hear that people have been unkind to this person who sounds as if he says would make a decent friend. I find that there are "pockets" of people who have never left high school at work and it's just bewildering that they get away with the shallow antics they appear to love.

There is one person who makes just awful comments to me and though I have talked with her, she continues to do so. I plan to carry a discrete digital tape recorder which voice activates when she is around. I have never had to do something like that so I would support the contention that there are people here are simply awful. That said, there are awful people Everywhere, and learning how to deal with them is important. Treat a bully like a child and reprimand them is my mode. Typically they back down quickly when confronted.

Alaska is not for everyone, the seasons are wonderful and the roads are terrible (unlike Arizona), people can be wonderful or unusually difficult and just like Arizona is not for everyone. My point is that when you don't like someplace It is not good to stay......keep looking for that place that makes you feel welcomed and happy.

Alaska for me is like the Shire. Just colder. And the good so far outweighs the bad.

Good luck Masterloo. I hope you find your happiness down the road a ways. =)

Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Getting through the paragraph taxed my mental capacity to the limit. I need to lay down.
LOL

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
There's a few things I have learned along the way that have worked pretty well for me:

1. You have to get along with the people you work with, but they don't all have to be your friends.

2. They may look at you funny (they will), and they may think you're antisocial (they will), but it's better to not wear your heart on your sleeve while at work. And it's better that not everyone knows your entire life story.

3. Regardless of what you tell your coworkers, they will make stuff up and/or fill in the blanks any way they want to anyway, just for their own personal amusement and to distract themselves from their work. That's just the way people are.

4. You can't please everyone. Not everyone is going to like you. And that's OK. Just know who is important to you, and whose opinion of you DOES matter.

5. Treat everyone with respect and dignity. Many times they will treat you like **** in return, but that doesn't matter. If you treat people like your momma taught you, at least you will be able to look yourself in the face in the mirror at the end of the day.

There's probably more, but I need more coffee. Must......find.....more.....coffee.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska