Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM

167 posts, read 354,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
The muledeer in TX are bigger than the whitetails. You must be thinking about the sweaty east. Sorry about that. That's not really Texas, dude - just territory annexed from Louisiana. Even so, the largest trophy muley in the west is smaller than the smallest adult moose in AK, so ease off the mine-is-bigger-than-yours bullchitna (like that, Met?).

Peace, blackbear.

(Ha! He said black bear. As if...)

You live in Texas and you're not familiar with southern Texas brush country and Hill country Whitetails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:41 PM

432 posts, read 760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
You live in Texas and you're not familiar with southern Texas brush country and Hill country Whitetails?
I understand that Texas has whitetails. They're bigger than Georgia's whitetails, but they're still pretty small, thin-skinned, easily hunted game. Not much of a challenge if you can shoot at all.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
I understand that Texas has whitetails. They're bigger than Georgia's whitetails, but they're still pretty small, thin-skinned, easily hunted game. Not much of a challenge if you can shoot at all.
You guys need to stop shooting bambi.

Apparently whitetail dear is not the only thing we have in Texas. lol On my way home from work I was listening to coast-to-coast. Texas has monsters. I'm like what!?

Just googled to learn more on what the fuss was all about. This is good.

Cryptomundo » Don’t Mess With Texas! Monsters, that is…

Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
You guys need to stop shooting bambi.
...but, man, is Bambi stew good stuff.

Venison Stew Recipe

Yeah, baby, yeah!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't get it. I'm from Texas and Alaska doesn't **** me off.

Like a friend of mine who used to live there said (she went because of the male-female ratio)...your odds are good but the goods are odd.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
...but, man, is Bambi stew good stuff.

Venison Stew Recipe

Yeah, baby, yeah!
Awe man! lol

Truth is I have tried deer meat and it isn't for me. I can't deal with the taste. Now I love duck, so I guess wild foul is less foul.

I have family in ND, he hunts. He being my cousin, that owns a farm. They recently adopted a ten year old son. Son gets on the cell phone on the way to school spots a buck, gets on the phone and says, dad come quick with your rifle. The kid ratted out bambi. I just couldn't believe it. But, they have meat in the freezer for the rest of the year. Still though, I would never rat out bambi. Vegies are good too.

Thanks for the recipe, if it looks good I may send it on to the bambi eating family of ND.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Awe man! lol

Truth is I have tried deer meat and it isn't for me. I can't deal with the taste. Now I love duck, so I guess wild foul is less foul.

I have family in ND, he hunts. He being my cousin, that owns a farm. They recently adopted a ten year old son. Son gets on the cell phone on the way to school spots a buck, gets on the phone and says, dad come quick with your rifle. The kid ratted out bambi. I just couldn't believe it. But, they have meat in the freezer for the rest of the year. Still though, I would never rat out bambi. Vegies are good too.

Thanks for the recipe, if it looks good I may send it on to the bambi eating family of ND.
Most welcome.

Venison can get gamey - depends upon how the donor is bled. You see, just after dispatching the game, the hunter must sever the... know what? You probably don't want details. Let's just say that well-prepared venison is a tasty treat indeed.

Regards to your fam in ND. I spent two years in Minot myself. Ducks and geese on the table every other day. Loved it!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 AM

167 posts, read 354,200 times
I've spent several winters living off deer and moose meat together . Moose steaks are better but the deer meat makes a better burger. I just ate the last of my Moose sausage last week. Bummer.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Most welcome.

Venison can get gamey - depends upon how the donor is bled. You see, just after dispatching the game, the hunter must sever the... know what? You probably don't want details. Let's just say that well-prepared venison is a tasty treat indeed.

Regards to your fam in ND. I spent two years in Minot myself. Ducks and geese on the table every other day. Loved it!
I got the jest of it. I did send off the recipe and asked them if they try it, to let me know how it turns out.

My mother remarried after my father died (many moons ago) and this man loved deer meat. That is where my experience with it comes from. He said a person needs to cure it in milk during the process. He barbied brisket, here try this. I said, oh yea that's good. All the while wishing to get that out of my mouth. He wanted me to take sausage home with me and I was like, that's okay, you and mom, you need that.

ND, I was there in 2008; loved it. They live in Ypsilanti. My grandfather from my father's side he settled there many more moons ago. It is beautiful country.

I was raised in East Texas farm area. Actually I'm a Tylerite and spent time in the country on the farms of my mother's side. They farmed cattle. However, we do have produce growers too. (Rose and Peach farms) Then on my father's side, the farms, I want to say are grain. Oh, he told me while I was there and I forget.

The country side is breath taking though. However, the one thing that unnerved me was the too many miles of isolation in travels. The road ways were clear, the Interstate roads were very fine. The restrooms, where so clean a person could have lunch inside one. Southern restrooms they are always nasty. So if we looked at that (and I do) the difference in people, well their you have it.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Didn't read all the posts.. sorry but did buy the T shirt Size does matter with little Texas in AK boundaries. And Venision is tasty if cleaned, bled and hung right. Do miss Elk in AK but moose is tasty and smoking salmon now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska