Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:34 PM

12 posts, read 49,768 times

Advertisements

Many people have mentioned in various threads that moving to Alaska can result in culture shock. I know what culture shock is, and I'm expecting some sticker shock. but Alaska weather aside, what's the deal?

I live in the southwest US, so we have it all... the ultra rich, the middle class working people, the rednecks, the white trash, etc. I'm assuming Alaska has the same stuff. Most places anywhere do.

I see it all here... what does Alaska have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 49,768 times
Anyone gonna take a stab at my question?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM

458 posts, read 2,777,221 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there aren't too many "rich" people in Alaska. I know nothing about it though so I could be wrong. I just figure anyone that has a lot of money probably isn't going to want to live somewhere that cold.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,875,715 times
I am nearly the richest man in the world. And it's not about the money. I have a house, 2 healthy sons, 5 vehicles, a boat, a dog, a garden, an island getaway, a job, and live in the most beautiful place on the planet. Yup...pretty rich. Now if I had a woman to share it with...my house would be a home. Then I will be "the" richest man in the world!
The culture shock may be worse if you moved to an outlying village or bush community. Having to go from modern convieniences to using an outhouse, burning wood to cook or heat, oil lamps, stuff like that would be a shock to some folks systems. Moving into the modern towns won't be so bad. Unless you don't like chasing moose out of the yard so you can get to your car!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,492,385 times
Default you'd be wrong there

If you're assuming that there's no rich people in Alaska, you'd be wrong there. Take a look at the MLS listing for Anchorage and Girdwood, you'll see numerous million-plus $ houses there. In fact, there are ultra-expensive properties spread throughout the state, including many remote but luxurious lodges with their own airstrips, docks, generators, etc. Its not so in-your-face as it is on the East coast and California, but the money is there in abundance. Drive by Merril field in Anchorage, one of the busiest general aviation airports in the US. Its loaded with private planes of all shapes and sizes, as much of the state is best accessed by air. Check out the docks at Whittier or Seward, full of big expensive pleasure boats. Of course like anywhere else its not spread out anywhere close to equally, but in AK you can still make a better than average living even without a degree if you have skills and a good work ethic. Lots of those fancy planes and boats belong to average joes that have worked hard over a long time, and have the toys to prove it.

The biggest culture shock you'll likely encounter moving to the Anchorage area is the huge variance in daylight throughout the year. The summertime days are very long, about 18-20 hrs of usable light with 4-5 hrs of twilight and darkness. It can be hard to convince yourself to go to bed when its still going to be light outside for hours, and many people have to black out their bedroom windows to get to sleep. In the winter its reversed, with Dec. and Jan days running maybe 5-6 hrs. of weak daylight, and a long, long night. It gets genuinely depressing at times, especially if you're working indoors where your only sun exposure for the day is an iffy hour or so over lunch. Quite a few people who live in the higher lattitudes are beset by Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is more or less a winter-long depression related to the lack of sunshine.

Another big adjustment for some people is the fact that its still not uncommon to see wildlife like bears and moose right in town. Even in Anchorage you have to be bear-aware, and not do dumb things like setting your dogs food outside or leaving the garbage where its accessible. Bears are remarkably flexible in what they consider "food", so you have to remove all sources of temptation to insure that your house doesn't become a bear magnet for the neighborhood. In communities that adjoin salmon streams (which is to say a lot), both black and brown bears are a constant factor during the spawning season. The moose are a real problem for gardeners and landscapers, they're relentless eating machines with a taste for tender domestic plants over their usual diet of twigs and native vegetation. A determined adult moose can clear a six-foot fence if there's enough motivation, and if there's a couple feet of snow on the ground they can usually step right over most backyard fences without even jumping, they're so tall. They're also quite a hazard for drivers all over the state, but since the most traffic is in the Anchorage area they typically have the most collisions. Since a big moose can weigh 800-1000lbs and stand on five-foot tall legs, they generally come right up over the hood, doing serious and sometimes fatal damage to car and driver.

Now, if you're considering a move to the very large part of Alaska thats off the road system, you're in for a larger shock. In some places like Juneau, it's the relatively minor inconvenience of having to ferry yourself and your vehicle by boat or paying for expensive airline tickets to go anywhere else in or out of state. In the true "bush" communies, its a whole 'nother world, akin in many ways to living in a third-world country. Things that you take for granted such as ready access to medical care, reasonably priced groceries, availability of fresh produce, even indoor plumbing are simply not available in many smaller bush villiages. There are many levels between the two extremes of course, as some villiages are far more accessible than others. There are even some places which are literally within sight of the lights of Anchorage but are still reached only by small plane or by boat.

Saying "whats it like to live in Alaska?" is really too broad a question to easily answer, its like saying "whats it like to live in the USA?". It depends on where you're talking about living.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:39 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,752 times
Rance pretty much nailed it. If you are moving to one of the larger cities, you shouldn't find much difference from what you're used to except for the cold and lack of light during the winter months. If you are used to having your choice of cultural entertainment, even Alaska's biggest cities will pale to what you will find elsewhere in the U.S.. Yes, the big cities have some quality entertainment (and some of the Bush communities do, also); it's just the quantity that is lacking. Another area that pales to Outside is shopping. The "big" cities have plenty of "average type" shopping experiences, but are quite lacking in high-end and/or many specialty shops. The only other area which I think isn't up to Outside standards is fine dining (the hoity-toity experience). There are several good fine dining options, but not the quantity one would find elsewhere. There are plenty of average, good quality restaurants, but one might be hard pressed to easily find the selection offered elsewhere (French, Thai, Vetnamese, Cajun, Indian, etc.). The final area of culture shock lies in community zoning; unless a home is located within an area covered by covenants, you're likely to have a musher with a hundred dogs move next door on one side and a contractor with lots of equipment on the other.

In other words, you can find just about anything you're already used to in Alaska's big cities. You just won't find them in the same quantity and availability as you likely would elsewhere.

Bush communities, on the other hand, can be a whole nuther experience! Small communities connected to the road system have far more amenities at a much lower cost than off-road communities. There are two large native groups in Alaska--Eskimo and Indian. Within each of these two groups are smaller ones distinguished by language, culture, and location. Many of the Bush communities are dominated by the Native peoples, and many of the Natives predominantly speak a native language and English is considered a second language.

Furthermore, some of these communities have running water while others don't. Some communities have piped water systems; some have holding tanks for water and septic; yet, in others, the residents have to haul their own water and waste (including human excrement). Some have indoor plumbing, while others might rely on outhouses (for homesteaders) or honeybuckets. (Officially, the honeybucket has been replaced by modern amenities.) Many of the Bush communities are ravaged by alcohol and drugs, while others aren't affected to the same extent. Some are wet communities (alcohol can be sold and consumed), some are damp (alcohol can be imported for private consumption but not sold), some are dry (possession and use are illegal). Sexual crimes can be quite high in the Bush, but they are largely confined within certain demographics; very rarely are sexual crimes random. Modes of transportation are largely limited to boat, snow machine, and four wheelers (ATVs) in smaller Bush communities; larger communities have a greater amount of cars, trucks, and taxis. Homes range from quite nice to very humble shacks, all within spitting distance of each other. Bush communities rely on a subsistence lifestyle, so it's not unusual to see animals and fish hung on the porches. Dogs and children (even toddlers) run rampant at all hours of the day and night without supervision. With the exception of the larger communities, it's not unusual for Bush schools to have 2-5 grades in one classroom, and the high school drop-out rate is phenomenal. Literacy rates are rather low in most Bush communities. Prices are very high in off-road communities; all goods have to be flown or barged in. Some communities have NO shopping whatsoever! Most have no law enforcement services on-site, and medical needs are served by small clinics. Major medical conditions require a costly medi-vac to one of the larger towns, if not outside the state. The largest source of money in most Bush communities? Grants! The Natives have access to free medical treatment, travel, funding sources, and other opportunities that are not available to non-Natives.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM

144 posts, read 744,776 times
Re: the rich thing... I concur w/ the other statements. Lots of people have serious money... but people don't live in AK so they can have a McMansion on a hill and a sportscar with vacations to the beach... they live here so they can have piece of land or water on which to land their aircraft... their snowmachines and 3-wheelers litter the yard just like everyone else's... the boat is newer with a bigger motor... the guns - oh the guns...etc. And nobody "dresses" here like they do in the lower 48.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 104,682 times
Default another perspective

Free medical care? I beg to differ. I believe that a price was paid. I've said it before and I'd like to say it again ~ many of these people are being plunged into a culture perhaps not necessarily of their choosing. Sometimes, their own is not shown the same respect. They are adapting. Many of these villages have only been exposed to Western Culture for 200 years or less.

Rather low literacy rates in villages? That's really the first I've heard of that. Once again, they are adapting. For many, English may be a second language. On the flip side, there are many Alaska Natives successfully completing college.

Also, please keep in mind that these people have survived in Alaska for sometimes 9000-11000 years. I'm not an anthropologist, but I'd say that if was largely a subsistance lifestyle, living on the land. Now, they are of course having to adapt by creating businesses of their own, commercial fishing their traditional fishing grounds. And yes, relying on government grants. I believe those are all provided to help in their transitions into Western Culture as well. (for the most part)

15 years ago, many of the residents of my small village community could commercial fish for halibut (to pay the bills) off the shores of the island. Now because of global warming or overfishing of the Bering Sea ("the modern-day gold rush") they must go further and further away risking life and limb in the small boats to provide financial security for their families. Adapting to Western Culture. Maybe the "free" medical care is provided with the simple philosophy of "take a little, give a little".

Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,752 times
Default Yes, it is a matter of perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleutianflower View Post
Free medical care? I beg to differ. I believe that a price was paid. I've said it before and I'd like to say it again ~ many of these people are being plunged into a culture perhaps not necessarily of their choosing. Sometimes, their own is not shown the same respect. They are adapting. Many of these villages have only been exposed to Western Culture for 200 years or less.

Rather low literacy rates in villages? That's really the first I've heard of that. Once again, they are adapting. For many, English may be a second language. On the flip side, there are many Alaska Natives successfully completing college.

Also, please keep in mind that these people have survived in Alaska for sometimes 9000-11000 years. I'm not an anthropologist, but I'd say that if was largely a subsistance lifestyle, living on the land. Now, they are of course having to adapt by creating businesses of their own, commercial fishing their traditional fishing grounds. And yes, relying on government grants. I believe those are all provided to help in their transitions into Western Culture as well. (for the most part)

15 years ago, many of the residents of my small village community could commercial fish for halibut (to pay the bills) off the shores of the island. Now because of global warming or overfishing of the Bering Sea ("the modern-day gold rush") they must go further and further away risking life and limb in the small boats to provide financial security for their families. Adapting to Western Culture. Maybe the "free" medical care is provided with the simple philosophy of "take a little, give a little".
I believe you're being a little too sensitive. The post was written from the perspective of how an Outsider would view things. From an Outsider's perspective, Alaskan Natives receive free medical care.

We can argue from now to doomsday as to whether it's a matter of "take a little, give a little." A non-Native, for example, may look at all the time, sweat, and energy (not to mention personal dollar expenditure) that was required to help the Natives adapt to what was assuredly becoming the new dominant culture and feel just as entitled to "free" medical care to help compensate for what he put into the culture to ensure the peoples would survive.

If this is the first you've heard of low literacy rates, then I imagine you haven't talked to many educators throughout the state. This, by no means, takes away from the fact that many Natives are highly educated and others are striving to improve and succeeding in college.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,809,261 times
As far as "culture shock" , yes you will be hit by one if you live just about anyplace other than Anchorage.
A total change in lifestyle for some, limited shopping, limited nightlife, the commercials you see on TV (if you get cable or satelite) have usually no bearing on you at all. Go try to find a Target or KFC.
Some people adapt and thrive on change and challenge, most buckle.
And yes, you will dress different most of the time. Here you dress for the weather, not for fashion.
I would call all the above a culture shock for some.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska