Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
I agree that they could have more suppliers. Your idea is to get the gas from places close to NM, and yet the problem is with a basin that sits under west Texas and NM. The pipes are big enough, but the gas isn't being delivered because there is not enough electricity to run the compressors that put the gas in the pipes under pressure. They also are relying on other sources, but its not enough. Also, Arizona is being affected by this. This means that NM Gas Co probably isn't to blame, the way that we move natural gas around the entire country is.
Most utilities I am familiar with use natural gas powered compressors to move gas on both transmission and distribution lines. The compressors run the gamut of size from big enough to fill a small building to about auto engine sized. The gas that powers them is right there in the line running through the compressor. That, then, raises other serious questions, if those compressors are owned by NMGC, why use electric compressors on a natural gas line? If those electric compressors are not owned by NMGC, then why did they put their (and our) gas supply in jeopardy dealing with suppliers who were doubly at risk - lack of gas and electricity outages with no backup power?

Last edited by jiminnm; 02-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM

372 posts, read 711,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Most utilities I am familiar with use natural gas powered compressors to move gas on both transmission and distribution lines. The compressors run the gamut of size from big enough to fill a small building to about auto engine sized. The gas that powers them is right there in the line running through the compressor. That, then, raises other serious questions, if those compressors are owned by NMGC, why use electric compressors on a natural gas line? If those electric compressors are not owned by NMGC, then why did they put their (and our) gas supply in jeopardy dealing with suppliers who were doubly at risk - lack of gas and electricity outages with no backup power?
NMGC doesn't own the basin that I'm talking about. As far as why they are using electric compressors, I don't know. That would be a question for the owners of the basin; either way, not the fault of NMGC.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
I live in Placitas and tried my darndest to buy a space heater this afternoon, but struck out. Felt lucky to find an electric mattress pad, which should help.

After this experience, I'm adopting a new philosophy: Expect nothing, anticipate everything.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I live in Placitas and tried my darndest to buy a space heater this afternoon, but struck out. Felt lucky to find an electric mattress pad, which should help.

After this experience, I'm adopting a new philosophy: Expect nothing, anticipate everything.
Most of us who moved here from the Gulf Coast learned that lesson many years ago. After a hurricane. Or two if one was particularly dense

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times
Well we don't want to invest in infrastructure in this country. We're headed if not already a third world country. Rolling black outs, lack of natural gas when NM is the 4th largest producer of natural gas in the country? I can't believe that it took two days to declare a state of emergency when we knew the storm was coming a week ago. No answers on when the gas will be turned on? Where's the accountability? Utilities are not responsible to their consumers? WUWT? Very disappointing?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Great shutdown all the government buildings and APS schools so that more pipes can break. Swell!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 PM

Maybe all government building should have solar panels installed for electricity generation and job generation.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Well we don't want to invest in infrastructure in this country. We're headed if not already a third world country. Rolling black outs, lack of natural gas when NM is the 4th largest producer of natural gas in the country? I can't believe that it took two days to declare a state of emergency when we knew the storm was coming a week ago. No answers on when the gas will be turned on? Where's the accountability? Utilities are not responsible to their consumers? WUWT? Very disappointing?
It's not just in NM. It's all over the Southwest - Arizona, NM, Texas. It happened earlier in the winter, back with the cold snaps in November, in the Southeast. You have unusual weather like this, it happens. It's like a hundred year storm or hundred year flood.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Maybe all government building should have solar panels installed for electricity generation and job generation.
Texas is forced to endure rolling blackouts and import electricity from Mexico because of reliance on wind power. Mexico supplies electricity to wintry Texas - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110202/ts_alt_afp/mexicousweatherstorm - broken link)
The liberals and environmentalists are trying to turn our great country into a backward, third world dictatorship. Wake up America. Looks like the Windmill (our energy salvation) is but a pipe dream. WTFwin the future

Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 PM

5,041 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Texas is forced to endure rolling blackouts and import electricity from Mexico because of reliance on wind power. Mexico supplies electricity to wintry Texas - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110202/ts_alt_afp/mexicousweatherstorm - broken link)
The liberals and environmentalists are trying to turn our great country into a backward, third world dictatorship. Wake up America. Looks like the Windmill (our energy salvation) is but a pipe dream. WTFwin the future
Actually it was the reverse. The cold temperatures caused unexpected equipment failures at fossil-fuel power plants in Texas. The wind turbines continued to supply reliable power. Over-reliance on fossil fuels is the problem.

Thanks, Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque