Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM

372 posts, read 712,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I considered this part of their post to be a possible clue, however parts of the entire post was a bit confusing:
Rich
Maybe they just worry about the average intelligence level of Albuquerquens (sp?), I know I do. I wear a helmet for biking, and can't imagine why it would make sense to go bare-headed on a motorcycle. That said, the OP made no mention of no helmets being the only, or biggest, reason for not staying. They are even staying longer because they want to experience one of the nice things about our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,787,516 times
I hate to be the one to say this, but perhaps the OP took that as evidence of a lot of, how shall we say, not to smart people in Duke City? Probably a bit unfair, but like litter, it is one of those things that makes an impression.

When I was a 17 year old boy, I liked taking my Dad's Suzuki 750 "waterdog" out screaming up the county roads, in shorts, flip flops, and no shirt but I did wear a helmet. I used to drop it into 4th at 100 mph. It was great fun, though dumb as the day is long.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,890,148 times
I currently live in NH and ride a motorcycle. I choose to wear a helmet even though the law does not require I do so. I figure I can survive most any fall so long as my head stays protected.

Although I am politically pretty far left of most of NH I do not think it is a function of the State to protect people from their own foolishness. This applies to wearing helmets as well as using dangerous drugs like alcohol, tobacco and dope. To indulge or not is the individuals choice.

That being said I do approve of the State protecting me and the rest of the population from the fools that chose to drive impaired by alcohol or dope.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,199,807 times
I think it would be interesting to see a sum total of care costs for people with traumatic brain injuries, etc. caused by helmetless riders and passengers, as far as federal and state expenses.

If the number is more than zero, then the libertarian argument gets a big minus. Is the more important liberty the freedom to go helmetless or the freedom from taxation to pay for the care of those who didn't? When you pay court costs for speeding, etc., there always seems to be a fee for brain injury fund. While that's slightly less unfair than a gross receipt tax toward the same, it's still a tax.

I think helmetless riders want to donate their most valuable organs. The fact they consider the brain is not valuable is self evident.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,458,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
The OP never said or gave any clue that this was the reason they are not going to live here. They simply want an opinion on why people don't wear a helmet, and I don't see how that gives anyone a reason to pick on them by seeing something that isn't there.
How could you miss it? He says: "...and I've decided to pack up and go to Seattle instead .... One reason is because I've noticed that only maybe 25% of motorcyclists [in ABQ] bother to wear a helmet."

It's more than a clue, he's very explicit. Not the only reason, but the one he chose to write about.

One of my neighbors rides around without a helmet. I think it's to show off her long blond curls.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,458,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I think it would be interesting to see a sum total of care costs for people with traumatic brain injuries, etc. caused by helmetless riders and passengers, as far as federal and state expenses.

If the number is more than zero, then the libertarian argument gets a big minus. Is the more important liberty the freedom to go helmetless or the freedom from taxation to pay for the care of those who didn't? When you pay court costs for speeding, etc., there always seems to be a fee for brain injury fund. While that's slightly less unfair than a gross receipt tax toward the same, it's still a tax.

I think helmetless riders want to donate their most valuable organs. The fact they consider the brain is not valuable is self evident.
From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

"Unhelmeted riders have higher health care costs as a result of their crash injuries, and many lack health insurance. In November 2002, NHTSA reported that 25 studies of the costs of injuries from motorcycle crashes "consistently found that helmet use reduced the fatality rate, probability and severity of head injuries, cost of medical treatment, length of hospital stay, necessity for special medical treatments, and probability of long-term disability. A number of studies examined the question of who pays for medical costs. Only slightly more than half of motorcycle crash victims have private health insurance coverage. For patients without private insurance, a majority of medical costs are paid by the government."

Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM

372 posts, read 712,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How could you miss it? He says: "...and I've decided to pack up and go to Seattle instead .... One reason is because I've noticed that only maybe 25% of motorcyclists [in ABQ] bother to wear a helmet."

It's more than a clue, he's very explicit. Not the only reason, but the one he chose to write about.
I missed that the first time I posted, which is why I later said that that there is mention of no helmets being the only, or biggest, reason for not living in Albuquerque. The OP also mentioned that the reason for the trip was for a "visit/job market test." One could have just as easily come to the conclusion that the big reason for not living here is related to Albuquerque not being the best place for their particular job/business.

My point is that several posters ASSUMED that the OP was only starting the thread in order to bash Albuquerque. These posters then made comments to that effect, and I simply felt the need to stand up for the guy/gal who was only asking for an opinion on why many people in Albuquerque do not wear helmets. I was just not happy seeing people jump all over the OP for what they perceived as a harmful comment on their life choices.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,432,157 times
I dont buy the two hot or takes too long excuse for helmpets. It takes at most 30 seconds for me to put my helmet on and it has good ventilation when I need it too. If you buy a $30, yeah its gonna pretty much suck in that regards but if you buy a well made one it will work good. Can they be uncomfortable ? Yeah but you get used to them or get a different helmet, I would say all of my helmets were comfortable.

I choose on occasions to not wear a helmet because I just dont want to. Simple as that, I dont try to convince myself of some reason or whatever I just dont want to wear it all the time.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM

366 posts, read 870,622 times
Quote:

"Unhelmeted riders have higher health care costs as a result of their crash injuries, and many lack health insurance. In November 2002, NHTSA reported that 25 studies of the costs of injuries from motorcycle crashes "consistently found that helmet use reduced the fatality rate, probability and severity of head injuries, cost of medical treatment, length of hospital stay, necessity for special medical treatments, and probability of long-term disability. A number of studies examined the question of who pays for medical costs. Only slightly more than half of motorcycle crash victims have private health insurance coverage. For patients without private insurance, a majority of medical costs are paid by the government."
To be fair they also won't be using the health care system anymore, die of cancer, or be on medicaid/ss, so depending on how old they are when they die they probably save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont buy the two hot or takes too long excuse for helmpets. It takes at most 30 seconds for me to put my helmet on and it has good ventilation when I need it too. If you buy a $30, yeah its gonna pretty much suck in that regards but if you buy a well made one it will work good. Can they be uncomfortable ? Yeah but you get used to them or get a different helmet, I would say all of my helmets were comfortable.

I choose on occasions to not wear a helmet because I just dont want to. Simple as that, I dont try to convince myself of some reason or whatever I just dont want to wear it all the time.
I occasionally don't wear my helmet if I am just going a block to the gas station or something, but I feel really naked without it, like driving without a seat belt, I have done if for so long it feel wrong without it.

I don't understand how people ride around without something protecting their eyes. What do people do at night if they don't have a helmet?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,199,807 times
Quote:

"Unhelmeted riders have higher health care costs as a result of their crash injuries,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
when they die they probably save money.
Excellent. Refuting a cited statistic with an uncited gut feeling. Can anyone remember a time where that wasn't cool to do?

(Health care costs only go toward living people, usually)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque