Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 26,579 times

Advertisements

I arrived in Albuquerque two weeks ago for a month-long visit/"job market test", and I've decided to pack up and go to Seattle instead (but not till October because I want to stay for the Balloon Fiesta). One reason is because I've noticed that only maybe 25% of motorcyclists bother to wear a helmet (that percentage is not exact because I didn't do an exact head count, nor do I even care to - got better things to do).

Fair enough - my answer would be, "It's for the same reason most motorcyclists in Florida and Texas don't wear a helmet. NO ONE'S FORCING THEM TO! Duh." Okay, so perhaps I just answered my own question. And this question doesn't even have to be in the "Albuquerque" forum, I could just as easily post this in a Florida or Texas forum (or in any state with no helmet law).

I understand motorcyclists not wearing helmets is NOT solely an Albuquerque thing. So, I'm NOT trolling in any way. I would just like to hear some opinions from other motorcyclists about why they take such a big toll on their lives by not wearing helmets. Is Albuquerque too "hot" for a helmet? I've heard motorcyclists in the South make that claim.

It does irritate me (I don't why though - those motorcyclists do NOT make me angry; I make MYSELF angry). But I mentioned Seattle because at least Washington State has a helmet law for motorcyclists.

But still, why not wear a helmet since you're going pretty fast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
I consider them organ donors.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
I don't know, I wear a helmet.

Of all the reasons not to live somewhere, this one takes the cake.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,665 times
It makes for a pretty pattern on the road when the motorcyclist slides under the semi.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanSchweizI10 View Post
...I've decided to pack up and go... One reason is because I've noticed that only maybe 25% of motorcyclists bother to wear a helmet...
So you're a helmet salesman, mfrs. rep, or helmet designer/decorator?

Can't imagine dissing an entire state for lack of a helmet law unless you're profiting somehow from people who wear the product?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

Can't imagine dissing an entire state for lack of a helmet law unless you're profiting somehow from people who wear the product?

My thinking also. I can't imagine choosing not to live some place because motorcyclists don't wear helmets there.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM

117 posts, read 257,527 times
Easy. It's a lot more fun to ride a bike without a helmet, albeit more dangerous.

In Vermont, there is a helmet law. In New Hampshire there is not. Most of the motorcycle owners I knew in Vermont would go to NH to ride, and riders in NH would avoid Vermont.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM

195 posts, read 472,457 times
We 505'ers like to live dangerously, on the wild side. That's how we roll. Booya!
Plus, a helmet is uncomfortable and takes time to put on/take off.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 PM

372 posts, read 712,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't know, I wear a helmet.

Of all the reasons not to live somewhere, this one takes the cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

The OP never said or gave any clue that this was the reason they are not going to live here. They simply want an opinion on why people don't wear a helmet, and I don't see how that gives anyone a reason to pick on them by seeing something that isn't there.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
The OP never said or gave any clue that this was the reason they are not going to live here. They simply want an opinion on why people don't wear a helmet, and I don't see how that gives anyone a reason to pick on them by seeing something that isn't there.
I considered this part of their post to be a possible clue, however parts of the entire post was a bit confusing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanSchweizI10 View Post
I arrived in Albuquerque two weeks ago for a month-long visit/"job market test", and I've decided to pack up and go to Seattle instead

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque