Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

I apologize that since I have traveled the world and have found places I find better, gives me a biased opinion. Hey, that happens. I'm a bit spoiled rotten. But, hey... If you've explored the true essence of some of the world's greatest cities, you might be biased too. But, I don't know anything.

Whatever you respond to with what I've just said, that's the end of it. Don't really care to argue about an opinion, it goes nowhere and does nothing for this thread..
I defend your right to your opinion. I have traveled a lot too, lived in other US cities and abroad. I have dozens of friends and acquaintances here in Albuquerque who are originally from other countries in Europe, Asia, Latin America, and Africa. They all call Albuquerque home and have for many years. While it may not be their favorite city in the world they have many reasons for staying and have adapted to the city very well. I don't know of any that have plans for leaving. Some truly love it here. In fact I remember a couple who did leave to take jobs elsewhere (NY and CT) and told me they would come back to Albuquerque in a heartbeat if they could find a job here.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
I'm going to respond even though your Righteous Indignation will not allow you to respond.

Quote:
I have explored ABQ.. and there are tons of little things I like about this place, but the overall picture to me is suburban sprawl . And... New Mexico is #7 for Walmarts per capita (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed), and ranks 37th in population, less than all the other aforementioned states. You're smoking crack if you tell me that ABQ isn't sprawled out suburbia..
It is a poor state. Wal-Mart has cheap products. But there is sooooo much more to the city then people shopping at Wal-Mart. The entire center/valley of the city which is about 15 miles is all small quint sometimes rural neighborhoods. This does not include downtown, nob hill, edo, and many other old established neighborhoods.

Quote:
I do enjoy Erza's place (Duck enchilada) and I've made good friends with the owner of Joe's off Vassar. I work at the Red Cross and have met some amazing people, same with Stand Up For Kids. It's unfortunate that I work 16+ hours a day and cannot "explore the true essence of the city", as you say. I know Erza's and Joe's aren't exclusive spots - but I do know good places for any occasion.
Wow, that really shows that you have explored the city. Ever attended a Matanza in the South or North Valley?

Quote:
I apologize that since I have traveled the world and have found places I find better, gives me a biased opinion. Hey, that happens. I'm a bit spoiled rotten. But, hey... If you've explored the true essence of some of the world's greatest cities, you might be biased too. But, I don't know anything.
You're not the only one that has traveled the world. There are many that have and choose Albuquerque as home. I am one of them. I have lived abroad on a couple of occasions. I was raised in several areas of Southern California giving me large city experience. I have explored many great cities yet I call here home just as many others do. I don't get why you believe you are the only one to have experienced anything outside of Albuquerque. I'll be sure to let the couple moving into my rental property from NY city know they may want to travel some more before choosing Albuquerque as a residence.

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post

You're not the only one that has traveled the world. There are many that have and choose Albuquerque as home. I am one of them. I have lived abroad on a couple of occasions. I was raised in several areas of Southern California giving me large city experience. I have explored many great cities yet I call here home just as many others do. I don't get why you believe you are the only one to have experienced anything outside of Albuquerque. I'll be sure to let the couple moving into my rental property from NY city know they may want to travel some more before choosing Albuquerque as a residence.
Haha, well... shows you how righteous I am...

Anyways, I never said no one else has explored the world like I have - I had made the wrongful assumption that those experiences MIGHT give you a biased opinion like me. I will say that those experiences impacted me differently than other people.

Anyways, quite cheeky of you to sarcastically say I have explored the city. I was just naming those as examples. I wanted to stop responding due to our exaggerated and often misrepresentation arguments. But, seems it's getting more civil now.

I obviously came off quite harsh (Coming from the thread that was joined with this one that was only dislike), so I apologize. I do thank aries though, for the peaceful response =) despite my lack of control on my first post.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Some truly love it here. In fact I remember a couple who did leave to take jobs elsewhere (NY and CT) and told me they would come back to Albuquerque in a heartbeat if they could find a job here.
I to know several people like that. A good golfing buddy of mine moved from here to VA for his wife's job promotion. He is a high level manager in the IT field. He is recently divorced and during our 3 day golf extravaganza here in the metro area, he told me that he would do anything to move back to Albuquerque.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Haha, well... shows you how righteous I am...

Anyways, I never said no one else has explored the world like I have - I had made the wrongful assumption that those experiences MIGHT give you a biased opinion like me. I will say that those experiences impacted me differently than other people.

Anyways, quite cheeky of you to sarcastically say I have explored the city. I was just naming those as examples. I wanted to stop responding due to our exaggerated and often misrepresentation arguments. But, seems it's getting more civil now.

I obviously came off quite harsh (Coming from the thread that was joined with this one that was only dislike), so I apologize. I do thank aries though, for the peaceful response =) despite my lack of control on my first post.
Have a good day and hopefully you will be able to live somewhere that makes you happy just as what Albuquerque does for me.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,431 times
Default 'Burque's not for everyone

Here's what I like about this place: The air is clean. The freeways are not the parking lots that they are the big cities. Housing is affordable. The breathtaking contrast of a golden (in fall) cottonwood and the intensely blue sky behind it cannot be found in any other state.

Here's what I don't like about it: The intense heat and lack of rain. The intense cold (-7 last Winter) with almost no snow. The fact that the Catholic church has way too much influence in the state. The gangs, the skateboarders, the skinheads. But mostly the drought which is predicted to last another 30 years. I moved here intending to move on in about 10 years, but got trapped by family. If I could, I would leave in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbum View Post
Here's what I like about this place: The air is clean. The freeways are not the parking lots that they are the big cities. Housing is affordable. The breathtaking contrast of a golden (in fall) cottonwood and the intensely blue sky behind it cannot be found in any other state.

Here's what I don't like about it: The intense heat and lack of rain. The intense cold (-7 last Winter) with almost no snow. The fact that the Catholic church has way too much influence in the state. The gangs, the skateboarders, the skinheads. But mostly the drought which is predicted to last another 30 years. I moved here intending to move on in about 10 years, but got trapped by family. If I could, I would leave in a heartbeat.
I would agree the drought over the past year has been tough...I hope it doesn't last that long, but I've seen predictions all over the map. Most meteorologists seem to predict a dry winter and then back to normal for next year.

But, "intense heat"?! I've lived in the upper midwest, and east coast - both are considerably more difficult to deal with in the summer than ABQ. Most smmer days are in the upper 80's/low 90's, with very little humidity. And you can find 70's in about a 30 minute drive. And the cold? Come on - the really cold conditions last year stuck around for about 1 week - mostly it was a comfortable winter. Other than California, you likely won't find a state that has less extreme weather - and if you do, it's likely very, very humid.

My likes list for ABQ is long - good people, diverse, amazing geography/vistas, sunsets, great food,affordable, variety of neighborhoods, interesting architecture, open spaces abound, awesome possibilities for weekend roadtrips...

My dislikes? The city hasn't made a lot of progress in developing a more livable downtown - there has been little investment by the city in quality urban projects. Chalk that up to poor leadership that has plagued this region for decades - we need to be creating walkable neighborhoods, etc.

So, the sprawl gets to me, but the fact that there are plenty of neighborhoods with character offsets that for me, and everywhere has sprawl.

I deplore the drivers - worst I've ever experienced.

I also dislike how expensive it can be to get places from the ABQ airport - unless traveling to LA, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc.

But overall, I think this place is pretty special - largely because of its faults.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM

148 posts, read 234,002 times
Default What are the best and worst things about living in Albuquerque?

I'd particularly be interested in hearing the perspective of people in their 20s, although all are welcome! How happy are you with your life in the city overall? What are the biggest pros and cons about daily life in ABQ?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM

313 posts, read 329,436 times
1.) It's boring here. theres not much to do unless you just want to spend money at restaurants EAT EAT EAT. Theres the outdoors but other than that everything closes early. Huge lack of entertainment, no wonder crime is high, boredom doesn't help.

2.) Lack of culture. Despite the many different races and groups, Albuquerque
is dull as a grain of sand. If you go to places like NYC or Miami ( yes they are larger cities) you see and FEEL the different cultures that sprinkle the city like a candy covered cupcake.

In Albuquerque all the neighborhoods look at pretty much feel the same.

Austin is a small city and is much more vibrant.

3.) SMALL TOWN MENTALITY. People here don't seem to think outside of the Sandia mountains bubble. people are not ignorant but they don't seem as 'fun' and progressive in thinking.

4.) Not many places to buy goods. Sometimes I don't feel like buying online and want to go on a stroll and bargain/buy.

That reminds me that there is not much to do as far as taking a weekend stroll, everything is too spread out and sometimes sidewalks just end in dirt. theres not much to see either.

5.) Dating scene sucks.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
^^ Way to see the glass half empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque