Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

44 posts, read 90,441 times

Advertisements

I know there already is an Albuquerque Crime Thread, but I feel this topic deserves it's own thread. It seems to me there's almost one bank robbery in this city every day, which is disgusting. What are your opinions on how this problem can be eliminated or at least slowed down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Outlaw bank robberies.

That, or stop using money altogether.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitimbo View Post
I know there already is an Albuquerque Crime Thread, but I feel this topic deserves it's own thread.
That might change...

Quote:
It seems to me there's almost one bank robbery in this city every day, which is disgusting.
Come on, this is not a chat room... This is a relocation site. Do you really expect other people who visit this site to believe we have almost 365 bank robberies per year in Albuquerque?

Do you have any real facts?

Are you trying to just bash Albuquerque?

Rich

Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Do you have any real facts?

Are you trying to just bash Albuquerque?

Rich
I'm not going out of my way to bash Albuquerque, just stating the truth. Not literally a bank robbery every day, but more than any other place I've ever lived which includes LA and Phoenix. Do you really live in ABQ? If so do you pay attention to the local news at all?

Today - Another ABQ bank robbed | KOB.com
Jan 2nd - Man robs ABQ bank Monday | KOB.com (http://www.KOB.com/article/stories/S2436163.shtml?cat=0 - broken link)
Dec 30th - Man displays pistol, robs bank
Dec 22nd - Police look for bank robbery suspect
Dec 12th - FBI: Bank robbed Monday in ABQ, suspect at large | News | Northeast Heights News
Dec 10th - Man with tattoos on neck robs Albuquerque bank | KOB.com (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s2407866.shtml - broken link)

I could keep going but I'll stop there

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Not literally a bank robbery every day...
Sgt. Friday: "Just the facts, ma'am!"

Dec. 13, 2011 article:
Quote:
Police arrested the suspect and driver after a short pursuit, but since then, APD said three other banks have fallen victim to robbers looking for some extra cash, making a total of 36 robberies so far this year. Police said there were only 27 robberies in 2010.
Read more: APD: Bank Robberies Up 33 Percent - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
Quote:
I'm not going out of my way to bash Albuquerque, just stating the truth. Not literally a bank robbery every day, but more than any other place I've ever lived which includes LA...
Do me a favour!

There is no way there are more bank robberies per year in Albuquerque than L.A.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Do you really live in ABQ? If so do you pay attention to the local news at all?
I never said I lived in Albuquerque. I have lived in Rio Rancho since 1998. I have owned a home in Albuquerque since 1998. My wife worked in Albuquerque from 1998 to 2012. I worked in Albuquerque on an off from 1999 to about 2005, and on rare occasions since 1968.

But being a resident of an area is not a requirement to hold a conversation and make comments on this site.

I pay attention to the news.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-12-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Do me a favour!

According to this post, 2009 bank robberies in LA county (9.8 million people) numbered 176.

The city of LA itself (3.8 million people) would have 68 of those that year, assuming the per-capita robbery count was the same throughout (no data to confirm).

That's almost double Albuquerque's count, though per capita, it's far far lower.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
You're right, I stand corrected. LA Metro is 15 times the size of ABQ so obviously they have more bank robberies. What I can say is that when I lived in LA the bank robberies that did happen were mostly far from where I lived (and I lived in Echo Park, very centralized and far from the nicest area in town). Here in ABQ I live in a centralized, nice neighborhood (Nob Hill area) and many of these robberies are happening at banks in and surrounding my neighborhood.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
According to this post, 2009 bank robberies in LA county (9.8 million people) numbered 176.

The city of LA itself (3.8 million people) would have 68 of those that year, assuming the per-capita robbery count was the same throughout (no data to confirm).

That's almost double Albuquerque's count, though per capita, it's far far lower.
Per capita is where it's important, thanks for finding that statistic. So ABQ does have many more bank robberies in ratio to it's people than LA. I guess the changes have to be made by the financial institutions mainly; more security, paid police on premises, bullet proof cages for the tellers etc. That and the strict enforcement of the law by judges

Last edited by tikitimbo; 01-12-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque