Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,721,380 times

Advertisements

This post is partially to let folks who may be considering Albuquerque for relocation know just how special and nice a place Albuquerque is and partially as something somewhat therapeutic for me personally – I just got done living there for 4 years, and recently moved “back home” to Wisconsin; I cannot describe in only a few weeks how much I already miss the place!

There is an adage in New Mexico that the “Land of Enchantment” is really the “Land of Entrapment.” To some longtime locals, that is kind of a derogatory term…I think often some locals can still see ABQ or NM as too “sleepy”…to “small”…and they yearn for bigger, brighter lights of Phoenix, NYC, Chicago, or L.A. However, to others, and to transplants largely (that realize they are moving a) into a desert, and b) into a unique region of the US beforehand), the “Land of Entrapment” moniker is really one of true, genuine affinity.

I moved to Albuquerque in my late 20s and left in my early 30s and the time just flew by. I already anticipate coming back. While here for the purposes of possible relocators I could describe the overall, general items that make ABQ so attractive (weather, scenery, culture, architecture, people) – which I have in many posts here through the months previously – I instead wish to point out why autumn – early winter (October and December) are such special times in Albuquerque with three particular events very near and dear to me.

OCTOBER – The chile harvest season

I cannot describe fully what a wonderful time October truly is in the city of Albuquerque. Daytimes are sunny and warm with highs in the 70s and 80s…nights are cool, crisp, and even chilly with lows in the 40s and 50s. The leaves of the cottonwoods that sprawl along the Rio Grande all turn their majestic golden bright. It is dry, in addition to sunny and bright. Heat may be needed in the car on your way into the office…air conditioning on the way home.

During this time, stores and roadside stands all across the city have their chile roasters in full force, and mornings fill of the air of the unbelievably pleasant aroma of roasting chiles…that smell will now to me forever mean fall. This is a great time of the year to buy a fresh, new chile ristra which looks great against an adobe home. To buy and freeze chile is great for year-round dining delights, and to eat some freshly roasted whole chiles are another true delight. Golf is great at this time of the year…morning pinon coffee in a sweatshirt on the patio go well with late afternoon ice-cold cervezas on that same patio.

While it is warm for so much of the year in ABQ that fall colors start relatively late, a weekend road trip up to Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire, Durango, etc., for massive fall colors is hard to beat. Catch a UNM Lobos football game at University Stadium (tailgate beforehand).

OCTOBER – The Balloon Fiesta

This event is oft written about, and the hype is all “out there.” However, moving here as a fairly (what I think at least) “guy’s guy”…I thought when people would tell us how much we’d love the Fiesta, hey, hot air balloons, they might be fun for my wife, but I don’t think I would get into that all all that much. Boy, was I wrong.

To wake up at 4:30am, step into the chilly high desert air, and make the trek to Balloon Fiesta Park along with thousands of others is surreal and exciting at the same time. You get into the dark nighttime air amidst the bustle that already is Balloon Fiesta park in your fall or even winter gear…end up warming yourself up with a big hot chocolate and, what is heaven itself truly at that point – a breakfast burrito with tons of queso and green chile – and you are satisfied, awaken, and ready. The unbelievably gorgeous sunrise coming above the Sandia Mountains occurs. That ol’ roasting chile smell continues to waft across the air.

Then, the initial “morning patrol” balloon complete with its light goes up and the buzz of the anticipation fills the air. Then…the balloons start. Tons and tons and tons of them. Hundreds! All across the bright, bright blue New Mexican autumn sky. Kids squeal with delight (so do adults). Photos snap. News people report. The city is alive. By the time 9am or so has come, the balloons are wrapping up, and you’ve stripped off your clothing layers to more summertime proportions as the temps are now in the 60s or 70s and going up.

Go home now and take a nap after a great, fun morning…you need some energy for the fun glow event at the Fiesta again that evening, sandwiched after your afternoon round of golf!

DECEMBER – Christmas time at Old Town

What a tremendous Christmas experience…celebrating it in Albuqureque.

Unlike Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Florida, Albuquerque can be semi chilly-ish around Christmas (highs range from 40 degrees to 60 degrees roughly, but lows range from 15 degrees to 40 degrees roughly). There is even always a respectable chance for snow in ABQ for Christmas. But there is also an even higher chance for golfing on Christmas.

You have ancient, historic New Mexican Christmas traditions that are so unique. Faralitos/luminarias are awesome – glowing on houses and businesses all throughout November...especially the tradition of lighting the real ones on Christmas Eve is a real treat (as is seeing them all aglow at Old Town). Eating tamales with red chile and biscochitos and drinking hot chocolate. Ancient (from the 1700s and 1800s) churches being dressed up for Christmas. The scent of pinon burning in chimneys.

The Christmas tree lighting tradition in Old Town. I cannot describe how enjoyable that event is. We went last year for the first time and it ranks as one of the most pleasant evenings I have spent in years. All of the shops open serving free food (cookies, hot apple cider, hot chocolate). Tamale stands. Choirs and carolers singing a range from “Feliz Navidad” to “Joy To The World.” The huge, beautiful Christmas Tree. Old Town aglow in luminarias.

Oh…that pinon burning in chimneys…that is a huge treat for both of these months referenced (and December, January, and February too!). I cannot describe how thick the air gets with that amazing aroma on autumn/winter evenings…its smell is just amazingly unique and New Mexican (and wonderful). Evening walks under the vast, open New Mexican stars and moon with the thick smell of pinon burning are real memories.

Wow...just typing this makes me really, really already miss being in Albuquerque for October, Christmas (and it is only September!).

Bottom line folks…there are reasons to live other places in the nation for sure, but here are three reasons in only two months of the year (my 2nd favorite month in ABQ is April which I did not even describe) why Albuquerque should be high on your list as a place to live or visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,090,141 times
It sounds like you made the mistake I made -- you moved out.

You can always come back. Just stop writing so many nice
things. People are going to want to come here and it might
fill up before you get your, er, ... 'stuff' together and make it
back to your "real" home. Stop it.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
It sounds like you made the mistake I made -- you moved out.

You can always come back. Just stop writing so many nice
things. People are going to want to come here and it might
fill up before you get your, er, ... 'stuff' together and make it
back to your "real" home. Stop it.

Yeah, that is the tough thing about ABQ...a "hidden gem"...you ("you" meaning you, me, and everyone else) want people to know how great it is...but you don't want 'em to know that either, so they don't all flock there and ruin it (Phoenix-style). OK, I will try to be only semi-enthusiastic from now on!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM

361 posts, read 1,093,048 times
Default Melancholy for ABQ

Hmmm! Reading your post really brought back some good memories of when I lived in ABQ. I'm in Chicago now, and while I really do love Chicago - I really love ABQ too! Reading your descriptions made me feel melancholy, because I can't live there right now, to live those experiences again. Maybe someday soon.

Although - I am going to be there (and taking a friend whose never been there for the Balloon Fiesta in October. I can't wait!!!

EnjoyEP - you are a great ambassador for ABQ and NM. Hopefully you'll make your way back there someday. Stay well.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Yeah, that is the tough thing about ABQ...a "hidden gem"...you ("you" meaning you, me, and everyone else) want people to know how great it is...but you don't want 'em to know that either, so they don't all flock there and ruin it (Phoenix-style). OK, I will try to be only semi-enthusiastic from now on!
Well, I can offer you this: instead of thinking about days gone by, think about what you have right now. Ive enjoyed reading your posts and if Im correct, youre now in Milwaukee? Am I correct?

If so, take in what you have around you in your new locale. The smell of the lake, the crisp winter mornings, the gentle snowfall, prolonged thunderstorms, the professional sports and awesome lakefront fests that Milwaukee is famous for. Enjoy Door County and SW WI. Enjoy Madison and Appleton and LaCrosse, ALL wonderful towns! Take in a pumpkin farm, a game at Miller Park, take a ride on the Wisconsin Ducks along the bluffs, etc. There are unique gems in each and every state, you just need to find them and enjoy them. I know how you feel, Ive moved away from home and was extremely homesick. the only problem was that I moved to a small town out-of-state where there really wasnt much to do, which made things even worse. But Milwaukee is rather large and very unique, enjoy it while you can!!!

Also, youre a short drive to Chicago if you need.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,919,951 times
Finally, a positive and truthful post about Albuquerque!!! ABQ has its bad's but its goods dwarf the negatives.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,487,227 times
Thank you so much for your eloquent description of ABQ!!!

I was going to visit, perhaps in 6 months, but now maybe Christmas. Perhaps there isn't a "bad" time to go?

A lyrical way to process your erstwhile home. It does help others, too.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 PM

13 posts, read 45,740 times
EnjoyEP - you are so eloquent! I became quite involved in reading your post. As a recent (two weeks ago!) transplant to ABQ, I can't wait to experience these things - how wonderful to see them through your eyes! Thank you!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,073,685 times
Absolutely lovely EP!

I do like the Fall and Christimatime here to be sure!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM

You know, the great thing is that ABQ is great in pretty much any season (and there are four distinct ones)...one of my favorite months in ABQ is actually April - by April, lilacs are already in bloom, leaves are growing / grown on trees, spring has sprung, days are warm and nights still cool. Locals complain quite a bit about the wind, but that occurs only on a few select days and really, I would take some SW'ern winds over the severe rains/storms that most of the rest of the US typically faces in spring. Spring comes early in ABQ and lasts a while.

Summer is actually probably one of my least favorite times in ABQ, but it is still really nice. It just does get fairly warm, however, a summer monsoon is a sight (and smell) to behold and now, living up here in Milwaukee, I miss being able to go out on the cooled-off desert nights relatively mosquito/fly-FREE!

How many places can you be in the U.S. where nearly each of the four seasons is ideal? (That still actually gets each of the four seasons!)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque