Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:55 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,326,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
...I love it here and have no plans on leaving. I'm close to everything(2-10 minute drive), have great neighbors that have a sense of community, and feel safe all of the time.
Live in house or apt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 08:18 PM

192 posts, read 256,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Live in house or apt?
Currently I own my own home. When I first moved here I lived at the Cottonwood Ranch Apts across from the mall.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,511,299 times
I know this guy personally--sort of.
https://www.krqe.com/news/investigat...r-trespassing/

Old 02-02-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I know this guy personally--sort of.
https://www.krqe.com/news/investigat...r-trespassing/
Maybe you can talk some sense into him.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can talk some sense into him.
LOL!! Tried to but this guy is REALLY out there. Gave him a taco burger once from Church Street Cafe.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
LOL!! Tried to but this guy is REALLY out there. Gave him a taco burger once from Church Street Cafe.
Does he still have that thing sticking out of his forehead?

Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Does he still have that thing sticking out of his forehead?
Never noticed it. Haven't seen him for a few days. Probably got arrested again.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:29 AM

Shooting at Effingbar just feet away.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1423295/p...west-side.html

Looks like the bad guy got it.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:17 PM

511 posts, read 626,214 times
Does anyone know if there has been any followup - anyone arrested for this murder? I've tried to find something but don't live locally and don't know where to look other than the ABQ Journal and nothing.

Brutal but muted end of rrevered UNM professor

By Matthew Reisen / Journal Staff Writer Sunday, January 5th, 2020 at 12:05am

https://www.abqjournal.com/1406717/b...professor.html

I'm not one to worry about crime, but I tell ya...this one got me. It got me because it appears senseless and awfully cruel and mean and only someone pretty bad off mentally could do this. I'm in WA state. Last year, a couple UNM astronomers were passing through our town and presented at our library. They were touring the country with this presentation.

Anyway, when I saw the NM plates on their car, I told them I'd visited several times, loved it and was thinking of moving near ABQ. When I told them this, they said they'd lived there 20 years but after this tour completed, they were moving out of state, probably to AZ. They said they were leaving for a few reasons, but mainly it was because of the crime. They said the crime was "stupid," because it was done with so little planning, thought, strategy, and so it felt like the theft and crime was so unpredictable that it kept them off balance.

He said, for example, recently their lab had been broken into and very expensive large equipment stolen, a couple items that were so unique that there were only 4 of them made in the US, and EVERYONE knew where they were. So like, um, how valuable could they be since they could not be sold? And besides, he said, it was highly unlikely the thieves even knew what they were taking. He said things like computers and small digital equipment had been left that could have been easily sold, but instead these huge, impossible to sell items stolen.

He was disgusted with the "stupid," as he called it, type of stealing. He said if it wasn't locked down, it was fair game. He said simple things like cheap masonry statues in his front yard near his front door kept disappearing. He said he was weary of always wondering if he was going to return to his car to find it broken into or not even there.

He went on with things, and I listened. I still thought I could deal with this, but this, this kind of murder in the newspaper, not so much. Not so much because this seems "stupid," just like what the UNM people meant. Now, if it turned out that the prof had just seen his relative and told him he had cut him out of his million dollar will, well, that could explain things, and I could accept that, but without some kind of motive, this kind of thing leaves ME off balance. When things don't make sense or seem illogical, it's hard to stay out of the way.

Please, if you've heard any followup to this story or if anyone's been caught, I'd SO love to know. I'd really like to know the why most of all.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
So burglaries never end up deadly in Washington State? A quick search shows that some do-- but somehow when it happens in NM it's worse or it's more "stupid"? One of my colleagues in ABQ moved to Seattle and was mugged on the street in the first few months, nothing like this ever happened to her in ABQ. She eventually moved back here. You can look at one case somewhere and then let it taint your view of the whole state, or not. I've been in ABQ for 30 years, feel much safer here than where I used to live (Boston), have had no "stupid" vandalism and no cars stolen. If the professor knew that things not "locked down" could get stolen, then why didn't he lock them down? In Boston people locked down ornamental trees and potted plants in their front yards in my neighborhood because they'd be stolen. But I haven't seen that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque