Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 25,249 times

Advertisements

I don't think Albuquerque's down town has declined as much as other cities it's size. Look at Sacramento for instance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Most downtowns are dead in the US because people moved out to the Burbs, freeways killed main streets by bypassing them, and redevelopment kicked out homes and retail. Stop bashing other cities and Albuquerque. The number of high rises doesn't determine a city. Honolulu has more high rise buildings then a lot of cities in the US. Doesn't make it better or worst. What will make downtown lively? Where do people hang out if the sidewalks are rolled up at night?

What will make downtown lively? Anything that will attract people to live and visit downtown often, as it is, if you go downtown at night, you are strictly there for a movie,alcohol or strippers, no other reason.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,812 times
Hmmm, well I could just be getting food at flying star, dancing/seeing a show at Burt's/Sunshine/Launchpad/Blackbird/El Rey, playing pool at Anodyne etc.

But I'm not sure why I'm trying to make this point - as there are plenty of reasons to visit downtown ABQ at night (what is nightlife besides music, movies, alcohol, dancing?). It's the daytime hours in which downtown needs the most improvement - which can be accomplished through an increased number of downtown residents, a full-service grocery store, and more retail/shopping.

Downtown ABQ is interesting as it is and has alot of room for improvement. But that's the fun part!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Hmmm, well I could just be getting food at flying star, dancing/seeing a show at Burt's/Sunshine/Launchpad/Blackbird/El Rey, playing pool at Anodyne etc.

But I'm not sure why I'm trying to make this point - as there are plenty of reasons to visit downtown ABQ at night (what is nightlife besides music, movies, alcohol, dancing?). It's the daytime hours in which downtown needs the most improvement - which can be accomplished through an increased number of downtown residents, a full-service grocery store, and more retail/shopping.

Downtown ABQ is interesting as it is and has alot of room for improvement. But that's the fun part!

oh yeah, I forgot about 1 of the 2 restaurants that are opened at night and most dancing involves alcohol, at least downtown anyways(clubs) and playing pool(most people drink) but there are usually shows to go to, that is something I forgot about and something that does attract people downtown, cool little places too.

but ABQ needs more residents downtown, more restaurants that stay open past 3, a grocery store,a downtown arena,maybe some activities such as bowling and some retail.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM

123 posts, read 236,347 times
I think a fair assessment of downtown is that it is in transition and trending better (though not as fast as many would like). The EDO area is filling in really nicely (and is profiled in latest Sunset Magazine). There are some interesting, green housing developments on the site of the old Greyhound bus station and just to the west. The Andaluz Hotel is fabulous (new outdoor, second story patio opening April 10). What is needed (desperately?) in my opinion, is the downtown arena project currently being studied by the mayor. We need to get large numbers of folks downtown on a regular basis. This would have all kinds of ancillary benefits, especially economic. Plus it capitalizes on significant transportation investments (Rail Runner and the Rapid Ride bus lines). We are close, but need this big project to complement current efforts and encourage more.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,279 times
Does anybody remember Downtown from the early 90's? I'd say we've come a long way since then. Geez.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM

123 posts, read 236,347 times
It's my sense that the harshest critics either don't live in and/or don't frequent downtown or simply don't get the value/appeal of downtowns. If you want a better downtown invest your time and disposable income there. If you don't pray that $5 a gallon gas happens later rather than sooner

Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdwell View Post
It's my sense that the harshest critics either don't live in and/or don't frequent downtown or simply don't get the value/appeal of downtowns. If you want a better downtown invest your time and disposable income there. If you don't pray that $5 a gallon gas happens later rather than sooner
There has to be something first that makes someone wanna live downtown, I do try to visit downtown and eat lunch down there or maybe go to the bank or just take a cruise down there sometimes and look around.

every city I go to I visit their downtown, some have been impressive like Denver's and some have been depressing like Little Rock's

Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM

19 posts, read 54,658 times
Downtown ABQ is a real turnoff for any one who has ever lived in a legitimate city. It not the night life one would naturally crave for.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader-G View Post
Downtown ABQ is a real turnoff for any one who has ever lived in a legitimate city.
ABQ is somehow not a legitimate city?

It's all relative... scale-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque