Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here who was involved in WMHS's planning, designed, or construction? Anyone live nearby when it was first erected? I know it was built on an old airport, and I-40 predates it. Other than that, information online is currently lacking. I once heard that its formidable appearance and layout and was due to it being designed, but not built, as a prison, before the design was recycled for a school. This is surely a myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
I did a little googling - see maryellen / School Descriptions (to be put in final project). West Mesa is listed at the very bottom. Perhaps you could follow up with the contractor or architects that are mentioned.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
This is an old article from the Albuquerque Journal about the construction bids but I don't have a subscription so cannot open it. The high school opened in 1966.

Albuquerque Journal from Albuquerque, New Mexico · Page 6

Old 03-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys! These links are an excellent start. You don't need a subscription to read the (very) poorly transcribed version. I was able to deduce from these, and my grandmother, who lived near John Addams at the time, that the school was built as a relief school, and the 8th to be built in ABQ. After it was built, the school system was organized to its present-day grades(Middle-6 7 8, High-9 10 11 12) to relive the middle schools as well. It was designed by firm Flatow, Moore, Bryan, and Fairburn, and built by K.L House at a bid price of $1,992,995(1965). I have a more logical theory about its thick concrete exterior that blocks out cell signals and lack of exterior windows, it was built in the '60s so was probably designed to somewhat survive the bomb. It wouldn't have ignited, blocked a portion of the gamma and x-rays, and probably to far from the likely target (Sandia Base) for a blast wave from existing devices at the time to have any effect. Does that seem plausible?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:04 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Seems like a much simpler explanation for the thick walls could be for climate control/energy savings. Just guessing, though. The architects are probably the only ones that would know for sure.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Seems like a much simpler explanation for the thick walls could be for climate control/energy savings. Just guessing, though. The architects are probably the only ones that would know for sure.
Could be. But it was built before energy-saving was a thing. But still quite likely. I know it could even be as simple as the architects just thinking concrete panels look cool.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I have a more logical theory about its thick concrete exterior that blocks out cell signals and lack of exterior windows, it was built in the '60s so was probably designed to somewhat survive the bomb. It wouldn't have ignited, blocked a portion of the gamma and x-rays, and probably to far from the likely target (Sandia Base) for a blast wave from existing devices at the time to have any effect. Does that seem plausible?
No... It's not a theory, it appears to just be a guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I would possibly buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Could be. But it was built before energy-saving was a thing. But still quite likely. I know it could even be as simple as the architects just thinking concrete panels look cool.
"before energy-saving was a thing"? Just when was that?

Anson Flats, in Albuquerque was built in 1910. It was built and originally owned by Anders W. Anson, a general contractor and cement supplier. Anson constructed several other significant Albuquerque buildings. The building's exterior appearance, highlighted by the rough-textured concrete walls and columns and repeating pattern of porches, made a strong statement.
Reference: Historic Landmarks — City of Albuquerque

The Rosenwald Building is a historic building in downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico. Designed by Henry Trost and built in 1910, it was the first reinforced concrete building in the city.
Reference: Rosenwald Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Romans used concrete extensively from 300 BC to 476 AD, a span of more than seven hundred years." and even earlier uses.
Reference: Concrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A concrete building is not uncommon in Albuquerque. And was not used to "designed to somewhat survive the bomb."

Old 03-15-2015, 10:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Anson Flats, in Albuquerque was built in 1910. It was built and originally owned by Anders W. Anson, a general contractor and cement supplier. Anson constructed several other significant Albuquerque buildings. The building's exterior appearance, highlighted by the rough-textured concrete walls and columns and repeating pattern of porches, made a strong statement.

The Rosenwald Building is a historic building in downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico. Designed by Henry Trost and built in 1910, it was the first reinforced concrete building in the city.

"The Romans used concrete extensively from 300 BC to 476 AD, a span of more than seven hundred years." and even earlier uses.

A concrete building is not uncommon in Albuquerque. And was not used to "designed to somewhat survive the bomb."
I think he said before "energy-saving" was a thing -- not before "concrete" was a thing. But I enjoyed the links.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's just colloquialism.

Quote:
I would too, though I think there is more to it than that.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis
Not to imply that it didn't exists back then, but it didn't really take off in the mainstream until we were forced to.

Quote:

Interesting reads. Thanks!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
I remember being a sub at Highland around 1992. The halls seemed 10' wide if not more. The building had a lot of character. Thanks for that link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque