Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator.

I've been back in Albuquerque a little over a year and it has become apparent to me that the area is going through some kind of weird phase; everyone seems so much meaner and ruder than they were a few years ago. It's like everyone here is unhappy, especially the older people who dominate the area.

I have been in and out of the area well over a decade and have always maintained that Albuquerque is not a friendly town. What I'm noticing now is beyond that though; people seem to have gone from unfriendly to actively hostile and rude. I put up with mean comments and energy from people everywhere I go, and from all age groups, not just the old people. It does not appear to be a race issue although I the Hispanics in general are not generally outgoing, nice friendly people and keep to themselves; some of them are nice in a harmless kind of way, but they are hostile at times too.

When I say hostile I mean total strangers commenting on me as a person, what kind of life I must lead (the politically correct "I know all about you" attitude is very prevalent in New Mexico) I have been called all kinds of names in the work place and in pubic, like bottom feeder, prostitute, wide load, weird chick, that way, and have to deal with a never ending commentary on my age (there seems to be a lack of tolerance for anyone who is not either a teenager or an middle aged or older person). I have worked in three hostile work places in the last year; at my current work place I have been accused of having Botox (there is no way I can have this smooth of a face at 40 unless I have had a surgical intervention, and having no wrinkles is not real and just not right!). People seem obsessed with economic status and what part of town you are perceived as being from. In the Heights I hear "west side" a lot; all over town I hear people mutter "downtown". I have even heard someone comment under their breath "south valley". I have realized I am dealing with a very narrow minded place and group of people. Sometimes I even hear people say "California" since at the moment Albuquerqueans hate California more than anything and are scared their precious little area is going to turn in to god forbid a metropolis. With actual diversity and culture!!

I have recently had a problem with a neighbor who moved out because he was constantly making so much disuptive noise at night. He liked to stomp around his apartment past midnight and even rung my doorbell on on a work night just to irritate me. The maintenance person told me the guy is just a sexist jerk who does not like me because I am single. Really? It is the year 2010. Apparently Albuquerque is so far behind the times that a single woman can't or shouldn't even have her own apartment.

People have written on this board that Albuquerque is not a looks or fashion oriented town but it is. I hear people of all ages, but mostly the old people who want to keep control over the area, "last year"; ie, meaning that my clothes are a whole one year out of style. The other day I was at BCBG Max Azria and I heard a group of old ladies say as I left the store, "let it go". Let what go?

Moderator cut: Inappropriate and trolling for debate.

Thanks.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-27-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
Wow. What a mean spirited post. Although maybe that's unfair; it's more of just a very negative post. What's its purpose? Is the OP just trying to find someone she can vent to without getting the same back at her? Seems like just a lot of complaining to me. IMO life's too short for that. I'm a firm believer in the law of karma, you reap what you sow. if you have a negative attitude you'll attract negative results, which at its worst can even create serious illness in your body. Much better for a lot of reasons to be a positive, happy person.

I've always found that 80+% of folks treat you like they treat them. And after living in several places around the country, the folks I've encountered in Albuquerque are some of the nicest and friendliest anywhere.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,916 times
i don't know about mean people. everyone here i've met has been nice to me. but i will say there are one or two crazy people running around town. well, at least one for sure.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Isn't this one of our old posters using a new ID? I think there may have been some
comments about this poster's ID change and messaging within the last month..

But then I'm a mean spirited person who remembers trolling attempts.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
OP must not get out much.

I contract with two local firms, at opposite ends of the economic and demographic spectrum. One is in the far NE area with high net worth clients, majority of which are white. The other is downtown and specializes in the Hispanic market (I'm the only one in the office who doesn't speak Spanish) so of course the majority of the clients are Hispanic business people from all over, but with a heavy concentration from the SW part of the city.

I've never been spoken down to, patronized, or been treated rudely at either office. The "high end" firm has two very experienced accountants (one a CPA) who are heavily pierced and tattoed and none of the clients mind. The clients at the downtown office laugh at my lousy Spanish (as do I) but are always happy to help me improve it, and make every effort to speak English when I'm around.

The clients at both offices are good people and friendly. The same with my personal clients, I have them in all colors and incomes, and they're all good to work with.

I'm also an overweight, middle aged female who doesn't look her age, yet I've never been asked about Botox (do people really ask questions like that?) or told I should lose weight. None of it has ever been an issue professionally or personally. So it's hard for me to understand where the OP is getting all this flack from. I firmly believe if you put YOUR best foot forward, try to be helpful, and are friendly, you'll get the same in return - and I do, in spades, here in ABQ (and other cities I've lived in).

Could it be, OP , you're the one who needs the attitude adjustment?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 AM

184 posts, read 805,178 times
I am really sorry that the OP feels like this. Obviously everyone has right to believe what they do. Sooo.. here is MY belief about ABQ--

I have found - COMPLETELY THE OPPOSITE about people/living here in ABQ!

I've have lived in several major cities where people are just really too busy and preoccupied to give you the time of day, but it has been very very REFRESHING for me to witness all the people I pass going in/out of supermarkets (for example) to nod and smile as I pass by. I just love that about living here!

Hmm... maybe i'm just wearing a smile more often than not...

I do hope that the OP finds another source of comfort and relief with her frustrations, than to 'mean spirit' these City Forum boards as a form of therapy.

Last edited by Skyszlimit; 03-28-2010 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: removed a few mean spirited words...

Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Lemon and Lime are both sources of sour taste. Wouldn't hurt to apply a heaping load of sugar to all of that sourness. People tend to pucker up when confronted with such bitterness.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Well, the whole country is full of mean-spirited bullies (Moderator cut: This forum is not to be used for political arguments and/or discussions and/or issues, etc. ), but to be fair it's also full of really awesome folks, too. Try to find some of those, Albuquerque has lots of them.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-28-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Mean people are everywhere in the world. Just do what i do & ignore them. I believe their are alot of good people in this world but i have had my share of idiots. I feel sorry for them cause they are lonely bitter losers who have no true friends & they most likely will burn in hell.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Isn't this one of our old posters using a new ID? I think there may have been some
comments about this poster's ID change and messaging within the last month..

But then I'm a mean spirited person who remembers trolling attempts.
Yes, a CatrinaC by any other name (lemon&lime) still sounds as bitter as ever. Its plainly obvious that the OP is still completely disregarding the common element in all of her negative experiences.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque