Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Why The Hell Does Your Drink Cost So Much?

http://deadspin.com/why-the-hell-doe...ium=socialflow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
I think the article is righteous, although the top-graphic is bogus.

The reason we pay 5X ingredient costs to have an alcoholic drink in a public place is that we like drinking alcohol in a public place.

You want to drink cheap? You can buy decent and legal 80 proof ethanol to drink at home at around $10/gal in most US locations... the rest is just condiments. Heh.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Of course, when drinking out ... whether in a great sports bar with zillions of flat screen TVS with our buddies, or in a very stylish and upscale cocktail lounge on a date we are paying not for the drink ... but the experience.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Of course, when drinking out ... whether in a great sports bar with zillions of flat screen TVS with our buddies, or in a very stylish and upscale cocktail lounge on a date we are paying not for the drink ... but the experience.
exactly plus booze has always been known to be the big money maker. I can remember years ago and I mean years: maybe close to 50, when our home owners association would have group picnics and dinners. the association would supply all the food, you had to buy drink tickets: on the liquor we made enough to pay for everyone's meal plus some. And I will add, the tickets were not expensive.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
exactly plus booze has always been known to be the big money maker. I can remember years ago and I mean years: maybe close to 50, when our home owners association would have group picnics and dinners. the association would supply all the food, you had to buy drink tickets: on the liquor we made enough to pay for everyone's meal plus some. And I will add, the tickets were not expensive.
I sometimes patronize an establishment downtown that was both a great bar and restaurant - nice sit down place with cozy atmosphere and the food was excellent. It was not an inexpensive place to eat but the dinners were so good you got good value. In fact a group of friends took me there for my birthday many years ago. Unfortnately about 6 or 7 years ago the place evolved to putting 85% emphasis on drinking and only 15% on food - so instead of rack of lamb or filet of sole meuniere things like caesar salad with grilled chicken breast and cheeseburgers are on the limited menu. The once elegant dining room had a "makeover" to look more casual and modern. The owners understood their profits were in the drinks ... not the food.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
work goes into producing good wine, and they usually take time, the you add in the shipping costs from overseas. i dont mind payig 20 bucks a bottle...as long as i like it. the more expensive it is will limit to how much i drink as well, which is a good thing in the long run

Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Sin Taxes.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
work goes into producing good wine, and they usually take time, the you add in the shipping costs from overseas. i dont mind payig 20 bucks a bottle...as long as i like it. the more expensive it is will limit to how much i drink as well, which is a good thing in the long run
Well, if you pay $20 a bottle in a store, chances are good that you'll enjoy it.

But if you pay $20 in a restaurant, the cost to them was probably about $4, which might be Three-Buck Chucky style drinkable, but it might be plonk.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I lived in Boston, and Maine. One thing that I always found odd was that beer in New England was more expensive than the same beer in other parts of the country; even if the beer was brewed next door. Taxes, of course. Just an observation.

Sixteen years in the restaurant biz, and this sounds about right; not just for liquor, but for food as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The experience, meh. Tell that to the guys and gals who inhabit the hole-in-the-walls drinking their $1 Boh's.

Besides, someone has to pay for those flat screen TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, if you pay $20 a bottle in a store, chances are good that you'll enjoy it.

But if you pay $20 in a restaurant, the cost to them was probably about $4, which might be Three-Buck Chucky style drinkable, but it might be plonk.
I find wine gross, and wine culture even more unpalatable. However, I really do like Two Buck Chuck (even if it is now $3 at most locations. I actually call it Charles Shaw). They just got a blend that makes me not want to puke.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 AM

95 posts, read 129,736 times
Ok so there are various things to address in this article. Because it is now a year old I wont address the prices specifically quoted. However... location does change the cost of a keg, bottle of wine or bottle of liquor. Depending on the liquor control commission.

The standard mark up on food is 20%, for beverages, is FAR higher. However, the cost is not simply for the product. It is the glass, washing, ingredients (if required), garnishments, maintenance to the washing machines. Then you have the glycol systems, and bag in a box gun systems, containers for other mixers and garnishments that are either needing to be washed or replaced. Then... you have to pay the staff, electricity, water, cable.. so on. You are not paying for the drink, you are paying for the business.

When I was training a new manager, I explained to her as each "regular" came in... I would say.. Bob - he drinks 4 draft beers, 1 shot, and one meal a day... Bob averages $35 each day. Bob comes in nearly every day, so he averages $1000 in sales each month. So Bob pays for the electricity. Then comes in Jan.. and Jan pays for the cable bill, and then comes Jeff.. and he pays for the water. Having paid the bills, I knew exactly what customers kept the bar open, and which customers paid the staff. I knew the profit margin was made Friday and Saturday night. That is when the owner actually got to make a little bit of money. When I say a little bit, I mean it. Because if you have entertainment.. and there is no cover charge. That comes out of the bars pocket. Even if there is a cover charge, doesn't mean it will cover the entire cost of entertainment. Either way... if you don't like the price you pay, drink at home. Its simple. However, most people go to the bar for the experience, ambiance, or interaction with other people. For that bar to stay open, they HAVE to charge those prices to keep he doors open. I have tried to raise bars from the dead as a consultant... and let me tell you.. its nearly impossible. Prices will make or break you.

Now, as a wine drinker and also knowing cost prices to bars on bottles of wine.. I have always found it annoying to pay $7 a glass of wine, when I know the bottle cost $7. But there is a very important reason. That bottle of wine, is only good for one additional day, two at best. Tho sweet wines can hold a bit longer. So if no one else orders it in the next day or two.. guess what they are going to toss it. But, the truth is.. a lot of bartenders don't know. So they are first going to serve it to you.. and if you complain they will open a new bottle. With wine, there is a lot of waste. So charging the price of the bottle is key to not having a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages