Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you want an "introductory" Scotch I recommend good old Dewar's white label. It's not fancy and Scotch snobs won't like it, but it has a milder taste.
Dewar's is a fine blend. It would surprise me if its white label weren't one of the more popular blends sold, here.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
If you want an "introductory" Scotch I recommend good old Dewar's white label. It's not fancy and Scotch snobs won't like it, but it has a milder taste.

For the somewhat fancier single malts, Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are smooth tasting.

Agreed with all this. Ballantine's strikes me as another such scotch, nice flavor, somewhat mild but has personality. The various Johnnie Walker types might also fit this category.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Start with a blended Scotch like Dewars, on the rocks with a bit of water to cut it. After you acquire a taste for that you can move on to the single malts which get expensive, quickly.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:21 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

For the somewhat fancier single malts, Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are smooth tasting.

The "peaty" taste can be quite offputting when you first encounter it.

It's almost like there are two kinds of liquor, "little-peat Scotch" and "lotsa-peat Scotch".
Yes, I keep Dewar's around for a basic drink. Dewar's, some water, and little bit of ice. Nice refreshing drink without any sweetness and doesn't overfill you like beer.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Balvenie Doublewood.
In my opinion one the best bang for your buck I have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I wanted to update this. I've since tried some different types of Scotch (Macallen Fine Oak, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfarclas 105, Glenfiddich 15) and realize that I do like Scotch, but I don't like peated/smoky Islay Scotch. I need to stick to highland or speyside and stick to sherried or fruity pours.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I think all whiskey tastes bad but I drink it anyway.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
JW Black has always been my "go-to" but recently within the last few years, I prefer Dewars 12. Not a big fan of Bourbon. It's the same with wine, some like it sweet, some like it dry. I'm on the dry side.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
As a really good value blended scotch I can't recommend Monkey Shoulder highly enough. It's light years beyond JW Red or Black, which I find have very flat flavor profiles. Monkey Shoulder is a lot more like a Speyside with some of the fruity complexity of the style like a Macallan or Glenlevet

My other piece of advice is to open it up with some cold water instead of ice, unless you're somewere like here in Texas where the ice isn't going to last long enough to matter. Ice kills a lot of flavor, and tends to highlight the peaty, smoky, earthy stronger parts of a Scotch.

Here's the thing. Like Tequila, cheap Scotch is just generally ****, and drinking the cheap stuff as your first foray is what puts people off of it. Decent Scotch isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to be $50 a bottle either. Don't drink poorly made booze. Life is too short.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I wanted to update this. I've since tried some different types of Scotch (Macallen Fine Oak, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfarclas 105, Glenfiddich 15) and realize that I do like Scotch, but I don't like peated/smoky Islay Scotch. I need to stick to highland or speyside and stick to sherried or fruity pours.

I still prefer bourbon because of the heavy, wood, sweet, and caramel flavors which I have not yet found with Scotch, but a nice light/fruity Scotch is refreshing to drink and just different.

That being said, it's not something I'll buy in bulk because Scotch is SUPER expensive. For one bottle of good Scotch, I can buy two bottles of decent bourbon.

One thing I'm still trying to acquire a taste for is tequila. Even the expensive bottles taste too raw and funky for me. I love it mixed though.
I missed the update. I can recommend two tequilas for you. Any really high end tequila bar in your area should have at least one. If you don't like either of them, you won't ever like tequila, and that's perfectly ok.

Fortaleza, either blanco or reposado. They're pricey. Blanco will run you about $45 a bottle. But they are, without a doubt my number one favorite tequila. Small batch, limited production, completely old school, and you get the clearest agave fruit flavor out of anything I've ever had.

The other is Maestro Dobel Diamante. Smoooooooooooth. It's like drinking velvet. Neither are really meant for cocktails, but the Fortaleza would make a kick-ass margarita, but it's really top shelf.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
I see the topic somehow changed to Tequila at least temporarily. I'm not a Blanco guy. I got gifted bottles of Don Julio and Patron Silver and they are still sitting in the cabinet. They are good for mixed drinks but not for shots IMO. I sip tequila much like someone would sip Cognac. Blanco is for slamming it back or making margaritas. I prefer a reposado and even more an Anejo. This is my favorite, Reserva de la Familia. You can probably find it for around $80 without the fancy box or for around $120 with the box. It is absolutely the smoothest tequila I've ever tasted.

http://cuervo.com/products/reserva-de-la-familia/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages