Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 AM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks for that. I was a little afraid to keep taking it because some website said it could be addictive, meaning, I guess that my bowels would depend upon it? But if I take D3 or something else like that or my blood pressure pill, I'm reasoning out that it is addictive??
I can't think aloe vera would be addictive for any reason. I don't know if this is what you mean, but I'd guess one could say that any medication prescribed and taken to make up for a deficiency or control a harmful chronic condition ( like high blood pressure or diabetes) might be considered "addictive" since the body will be much worse off if the person stops taking the medication. So we keep taking the meds.

I take a D3 supplement at the advice of my PCP. My vitamin D levels were low, and she went over with me how much to take. I still take it despite my vitamin D levels being within normal ranges now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Aloe is a natural product. I can't think of any reason or anything in it that would be addictive. The surgeon that found and treated my gastric ulcers last year suggested that I try drinking aloe vera juice to help with gastric inflammation. Don't know if it helped or not, but aloe is known to be anti-inflammatory. I'd guess that any laxative properties it might have are secondary and maybe depend on the individual. I didn't find it especially so, but then I'm lucky in that I don't need much help in that department anyway. Really lucky in that I take meds that are potentially constipating ( ie, calcium channel blocker and diuretic) but they don't do that to me.

I'm not sure the natural part matters, just by what mechanism is relieves constipation. I wouldn't call it addictive, more it makes you bowels dependent on it. Oh heck, I went and looked it up...

Taken internally, aloe juice can have a soothing effect. Juice with aloe latex — which contains anthraquinones, or natural laxatives — may further help with constipation. However, you should keep in mind that there are some safety concerns with aloe latex. Taking too much of a laxative may make your symptoms worse.

https://www.healthline.com/health/di...r-ibs#warnings

The laxative is only in the latex, and it tastes bad, so most aloe drinks probably do not contain that component.

At one time I tried who aloe plant put in the vitamix to try it for constipation and noticed no difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not sure the natural part matters, just by what mechanism is relieves constipation. I wouldn't call it addictive, more it makes you bowels dependent on it. Oh heck, I went and looked it up...

Taken internally, aloe juice can have a soothing effect. Juice with aloe latex — which contains anthraquinones, or natural laxatives — may further help with constipation. However, you should keep in mind that there are some safety concerns with aloe latex. Taking too much of a laxative may make your symptoms worse.

https://www.healthline.com/health/di...r-ibs#warnings

The laxative is only in the latex, and it tastes bad, so most aloe drinks probably do not contain that component.

At one time I tried who aloe plant put in the vitamix to try it for constipation and noticed no difference.
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about the latex portion of the aloe being associated with the laxative effect.

I was thinking that maybe those little flecks of fruit pulp ( aloe pulp as well as other fruits added to the drink I bought), might provide a little fiber.

Nothing is completely safe or without potential harm, is it?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about the latex portion of the aloe being associated with the laxative effect.

I was thinking that maybe those little flecks of fruit pulp ( aloe pulp as well as other fruits added to the drink I bought), might provide a little fiber.

Nothing is completely safe or without potential harm, is it?
Right?

I'm sure the pulp has nutritional benefits. I'm guessing it's better for you than a soda!

I actually love those drinks, but I think the sugar content is to high for me, though there are a lot of brands and one has got to be low sugar.

Now I'm craving one!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2019, 09:08 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Aloe has a laxative effect by increasing fluid in the colon which increases elimination (the same way Miralax works, by the way). Aloe should not be used for that purpose for more than a few days. Long term daily use leads to the opposite - dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and dependence. Change the diet instead and use only occasionally, if needed. Aloe has several oral medicinal uses but there are other potential side effects, drug and health interactions, too. Too many to go into here.

Aloe also helps with constipation by stimulating liver function which improves digestion. This is the same way so-called liver detox products work. They typically contain herbs that stimulate liver function. If you have a liver condition, none of them should be used without doctor approval and supervision unless you are fine with risking more liver damage, or worse.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Aloe has a laxative effect by increasing fluid in the colon which increases elimination (the same way Miralax works, by the way). Aloe should not be used for that purpose for more than a few days. Long term daily use leads to the opposite - dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and dependence. Change the diet instead and use only occasionally, if needed. Aloe has several oral medicinal uses but there are other potential side effects, drug and health interactions, too. Too many to go into here.

Aloe also helps with constipation by stimulating liver function which improves digestion. This is the same way so-called liver detox products work. They typically contain herbs that stimulate liver function. If you have a liver condition, none of them should be used without doctor approval and supervision unless you are fine with risking more liver damage, or worse.
Healing begins in the GUT...a clean GUT better healing.

My friend who is 93 takes Aloe Vera every day and in spite of her advanced OA, 2 hip replacements and AGE, she is pretty amazing. She does almost better than me at 81 and could be her Aloe Vera regime keeps her going more. We have a little different issues but a lot the same. Bodywide OA and replacements.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...aloe-vera.html

We all need to "figure it out"...

Just know this too, laxatives are the #1 otc drug in our country...it was some yrs ago when I read about that.

SS: I've changed my diet a lot but perfection in that area is something I've never had and do the best for me and how I feel. It was not perfect in my early years and is not now in later years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-13-2019 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Healing begins in the GUT...a clean GUT better healing.

My friend who is 93 takes Aloe Vera every day and in spite of her advanced OA, 2 hip replacements and AGE, she is pretty amazing. She does almost better than me at 81 and could be her Aloe Vera regime keeps her going more. We have a little different issues but a lot the same. Bodywide OA and replacements.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...aloe-vera.html

We all need to "figure it out"...

Just know this too, laxatives are the #1 otc drug in our country...it was some yrs ago when I read about that.

SS: I've changed my diet a lot but perfection in that area is something I've never had and do the best for me and how I feel. It was not perfect in my early years and is not now in later years.

No one has a perfect diet because there is no way to know every little thing that works perfectly, especially not for the long term.

This I do know, chronic inflammation doesn't come out of nowhere. It's usually from things we consume or are otherwise exposed to. I know as much about arthritis pain as anyone having experienced it for 5 decades, and constipation too. I completely eliminated arthritis pain by figuring out which foods/drinks were causing my inflammation and avoiding them, and by focusing more on things like anti-inflammatory foods. And I don't eat anything that I don't like. I tackled and solved chronic constipation the same way.

Maybe be open minded to this and figuring out what is causing your inflammation (and the constipation problem as well) instead of thinking the conventional allopathic way of just trying to suppress it with remedies/drugs and ignoring or failing to address what is causing it.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 11-13-2019 at 12:53 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
No one has a perfect diet because there is no way to know every little thing that works perfectly, especially not for the long term.

This I do know, chronic inflammation doesn't come out of nowhere. It's usually from things we consume or are otherwise exposed to. I know as much about arthritis pain as anyone having experienced it for 5 decades, and constipation too. I completely eliminated arthritis pain by figuring out which foods/drinks were causing my inflammation and avoiding them, and by focusing more on things like anti-inflammatory foods. And I don't eat anything that I don't like. I tackled and solved chronic constipation the same way.

Maybe be open minded to this and figuring out what is causing your inflammation instead of thinking the conventional allopathic way of just trying to suppress it with remedies/drugs and ignoring or failing to address what is causing it.
Inflammation good luck on figuring it all out. Surgeries, advanced OA and yes foods and I do my very best to stay away from allopathic meds but if I didn't do what I do, I could not walk. I won't spend my days left here trying to figure it out, I'm doing what keeps me going and do stay away from the allopathic MD's....Haven't you been reading my posts?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Inflammation good luck on figuring it all out.
Surgeries, advanced OA and yes foods and I do my very best to stay away from allopathic meds but if I didn't do what I do, I could not walk. I won't spend my days left here trying to figure it out, I'm doing what keeps me going and do stay away from the allopathic MD's....Haven't you been reading my posts?
I just told you how to look for what is causing your inflammation. It's all in your control, no one else.

Of course I have been reading your posts which is exactly the reason I am wondering WHY are you approaching your health issues in the allopathic way of taking pills/remedies to suppress or relieve symptoms instead of addressing the underlying causes of those symptoms.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I just told you how to look for what is causing your inflammation. It's all in your control, no one else.

Of course I have been reading your posts which is exactly the reason I am wondering WHY are you approaching your health issues in the allopathic way of taking pills/remedies to suppress or relieve symptoms instead of addressing the underlying causes of those symptoms.
Come on, some of us can't totally stay away from allopathic pain meds. I'd love too, but YOU have no clue how others make it thru their days. I'm tired to work eliminate everything...eggs cause inflammation and I eat a few a week. Should I stop those too? I'm not going to.

The HGH gel has gotten me off 1/2 ibuprofen so to me that is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine