Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 11:53 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

There are many different types of probiotics called strains and each one has its own special function. Every person also has a unique gut microbiome or balance of beneficial bacteria in the gut, so the best probiotic for you may be different from the ideal choice for someone else.
What are you trying to accomplish? (OP is not a member anymore)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 10:57 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What if you;re allergic to dairy?
Dairy is not the only source of fermented foods. There are many other fermented foods.

Or --- Consuming natural prebiotic foods creates the ideal environment for your body to grow and diversify its own probiotics.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Dairy is not the only source of fermented foods. There are many other fermented foods.

Or --- Consuming natural prebiotic foods creates the ideal environment for your body to grow and diversify its own probiotics.
Thanks. Now I remember one dr recommended "real" sauerkraut, not some cheap grocery store brand (unless it's Whole Foods probably.) And miso soup.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:19 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Thanks. Now I remember one dr recommended "real" sauerkraut, not some cheap grocery store brand (unless it's Whole Foods probably.) And miso soup.
Bubba's sauerkraut is a good brand of old fashioned sauerkraut that you may enjoy. It is fermented. Health food stores usually have it in the refrigerated section in glass jars.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:57 PM

547 posts, read 327,311 times
Quote:
What if you;re allergic to dairy? Are the plant based yogurts as good?

not sure about plant based yogurts, but if they have bugs, i would eat it. i do know that kefir is lactose free, as are some cottage cheeses. i think i remember hearing that the bugs consume the lactose. my wife had developed allergy to milk products - then we learned about and fixed our guts. her dairy allergy disappeared completely

Old 04-15-2023, 08:07 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Bubba's sauerkraut is a good brand of old fashioned sauerkraut that you may enjoy. It is fermented. Health food stores usually have it in the refrigerated section in glass jars.
Sorry, close but no cigar, lol. It should have been Bubbies Sauerkraut.

https://www.bubbies.com/products/sauerkraut

-------------------------

Old 04-17-2023, 11:29 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Most grocery stores carry "real" fermented foods (pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.) in a refrigerated section which is usually near the produce section. Some fermented foods are not "real" aka probiotic because they have been pasteurized, heat-canned, or otherwise gone through further processing that kills the bacteria. The sauerkraut, pickles, etc., on the other shelves (room temp) are not probiotic because the bacteria is dead, so they are not "real". If you heat up real fermented food too high at home, like miso soup, that kills the bacteria too.

I prefer fresh foods over fermented ones. You consume about 10 million live bacteria from one apple alone, for example. Lactobacillus and others. And consuming whole foods that contain prebiotic and other fibers provide what the body needs to grow, diversify and maintain our own bacteria.

Humans began preserving foods by fermenting them with salt to avoid starving through the winter, which is no longer a problem. Fermented foods or prebiotic pills may be fine to consume for a few weeks but longer or continuously is uncertain. Might lead to an imbalanced microbiome or other problems. Also certain people, like immune-compromised or those sensitive to histamines or have other intolerances, are advised to avoid consuming fermented foods or other probiotics.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
This one (so I read) comes with the food to keep the bugs alive. I am trying it as we speak, taken about 4 daily doses so far.

The jury is still out. I mainly got it for my gastritis, it's just a test to see if it helps. It could provide some other additional benefits.

It does have good reviews on just about every site I see it. There must be something to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Probiotics-Fo.../dp/B079H53D2B

Old 04-20-2023, 02:09 PM

547 posts, read 327,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This one (so I read) comes with the food to keep the bugs alive. I am trying it as we speak, taken about 4 daily doses so far.

The jury is still out. I mainly got it for my gastritis, it's just a test to see if it helps. It could provide some other additional benefits.

It does have good reviews on just about every site I see it. There must be something to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Probiotics-Fo.../dp/B079H53D2B

if that one doesnt work, keep using trial and error - you are on the right path

gastric microbial dysbiosis = messed up gut/gut bugs

i see different kinds of gastritis. which one are you working on reversing?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36927582/

Studies have consistently shown that chronic gastritis is usually associated with gastric microbial dysbiosis

Old 04-21-2023, 07:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
if that one doesnt work, keep using trial and error - you are on the right path

gastric microbial dysbiosis = messed up gut/gut bugs

i see different kinds of gastritis. which one are you working on reversing?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36927582/

Studies have consistently shown that chronic gastritis is usually associated with gastric microbial dysbiosis
Mine is bad. I had an endoscopy about a year ago, I'd have to look at the test results to give you the name but it was something like "Erosive Gastritis". Probably due to diet, maybe eating a lot of acidic foods. I also love spicy foods which is something I have been cutting back on. Spicy is not acidic per se but it sure doesn't help. I'm only about a week into taking this. I am also trying a bit of yogurt to see if that helps. I will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine