Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 AM

508 posts, read 889,076 times

Advertisements

Please compare the following:

Asuncion, Paraguay (Uncertain which districts are considered "good.")

Montevideo, Uruguay (Specifically, the Ciudad Vieja and Pocitos neighborhoods)

Buenos Aires, Argentina (Palmero and Recoleta neighborhoods)

I do realize Paraguay lacks the beach and Buenos Aires isn't exactly a coastal city like Montevideo. But I have heard Asuncion is considered one of the least expensive cities on Earth. Is that really true? I'd be curious to get clear cut examples of this.

Just how "French" is the influence over Montevideo and Buenos Aires. Is the architecture and food really that Parisian? I do notice some similarities, but is it really overwhelming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Huge difference. Asuncion has a very small-town atmosphere, easy to stroll around in, and is very South American in character. Montevideo is much more of a "European" city, with an urban urgency to it. Also, Montevideo is much larger. Montevideo would be like a city in Spain, while Asuncion more like a smaller city in Mexico. Asuncion is a much more "open" city of wide streets and parks, although with modernization and development, probably filling in quickly..

Buenos Aires I do not know, I successfully avoided that city on my travels.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Huge difference. Asuncion has a very small-town atmosphere, easy to stroll around in, and is very South American in character. Montevideo is much more of a "European" city, with an urban urgency to it. Also, Montevideo is much larger. Montevideo would be like a city in Spain, while Asuncion more like a smaller city in Mexico. Asuncion is a much more "open" city of wide streets and parks, although with modernization and development, probably filling in quickly..

Buenos Aires I do not know, I successfully avoided that city on my travels.
Why do you say that.

Buenos Aires is very European. It almost feels like a hybrid of France, Italy and Spain. Italian food is everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE and Argentineans even speak Spanish with a Italian like accent. The city buildup seems more French in terms of architecture and also that Buenos Aires has a very fashion forward type of lifestyle. How you look and what you wear is one of the most important things. Buenos Aires is also very hustle and bustly with lots of people and lots to see and do. I don't think Buenos Aires is a very relaxing city (except in some neighborhoods). It's more comparable to places like NYC, Paris, London, Sao Paulo, etc., big urban dynamic cities.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
my roommate somehow got it into his head that asuncion is a hidden gentlemens paradise and keeps on trying to get me to fly down there with him. a friend of ours who we used to party w in other places keeps flying down there every couple months which sparked the suspicion but he's secretive about the city. have a feeling i'll make the trip with him sometime in the next year just to check it out. i'd like to check out the other cities mentioned in this thread while there but the 24 hr bus ride between them doesn't sound fun.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,475 times
Buenos Aires is a terrific place, Montevideo is very cool too!!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Why do you say that.

(Buenos Aires I do not know, I successfully avoided that city on my travels.)
Because I was expressing my own opinion, based on my travel style. I bypass big cities wherever and whenever I can, usually venturing into them only to get onward visas, or some other urban necessity. I would never go to a big city for pleasure. I could always get around in Argentina without going into BA, so I was happy enough not to have to. Never been in Rio, either, but been all over Brazil. Lima is hard to avoid, but all I did was change buses there, and never walked out of the bus station.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM

230 posts, read 904,764 times
I nominate "Fashion Forward" as the lamest term of this century. But yea BA and Montevideo are both cool. I really want to go to Asuncion but all my Brazilian friends think I am batsh*t crazy for wanting to go. So will go alone.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Despite personal opinions about those 3 cities (i know some things about Montevideo -a lot of people i know went, i didnt go and will visit first time in october-, and i never visited Asunción), you have to take in count that Montevideo and Asunción are slow paced cities,with around 1,500,000 hab each, and Buenos Aires is a huge metropolis (13,000,000 hab) with crazy rythim and insanely fast paced.
Totally different things.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 AM

276 posts, read 762,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
my roommate somehow got it into his head that asuncion is a hidden gentlemens paradise
Meaning what exactly?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
I will let you know...I'm posting this from a restaurant waiting for my bus to Montevideo after that I go to Buenos Aires. I am not going to Asuncion since Paraguay charges me $100 for the visa as a US citizen, screw that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas