Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have never met a Brazilian of any social class who wasn't good-natured and cheerful; but Americans seem like the most unsatisfied and whiney people on the planet.

So, if the Brazilians need money to be happier, I hope they find a different happiness with it than we have.
Well the crime rate is a lot higher in Brazil than even much poorer third world countries, so I'm sure not all Brazilians are good-natured and cheerful...

Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

Foreigners Follow Money to Booming Brazil, Land of $35 Martini

RIO DE JANEIRO — Pondering the financial storms lashing Europe and the United States, Seth Zalkin, a casually dressed American banker, sipped a demitasse and seemed content with his decision to move here in March with his wife and son.

“If the rest of the world is cratering, this is a good place to be,” said Mr. Zalkin, 39.
For those with even the dimmest memories of Brazil’s own debt crisis in the 1980s, the global order has been turned on its head. The American economy may be crawling along, but Brazil’s grew at its fastest clip in more than two decades last year and unemployment is at historic lows, part of the nation’s transformation from inflationary basket case into one of Washington’s top creditors.

With compensation rivaling that on Wall Street, so many foreign bankers, hedge fund managers, oil executives, lawyers and engineers have moved here that prices for prime office space surpassed those in New York this year, making Rio the costliest city in the Americas to lease it, according to the real estate company Cushman & Wakefield.

(...)

Read the rest of this article on New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/13/wo...pagewanted=all
That's a sad development. You import the same parasites and criminals now that have already participated in the downfall of the US. And they make prices rise, making life more difficult for locals.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,467,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's a sad development. You import the same parasites and criminals now that have already participated in the downfall of the US. And they make prices rise, making life more difficult for locals.
Erm....I wouldn't go that far. Prices in Brasil have been insane for awhile. It's the value of the Real to blame, not the United States. Convenient excuse though.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The Nyork times does not know that Brazilians are Americans too..
For crying out loud, get over it.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Erm....I wouldn't go that far. Prices in Brasil have been insane for awhile. It's the value of the Real to blame, not the United States. Convenient excuse though.
I didn't say the US, did I? I said parasites and criminals from the US, and probably not only from there. That greedy bunch roams the whole world in order to extract local wealth, economic scorched earth policy...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well the crime rate is a lot higher in Brazil than even much poorer third world countries, so I'm sure not all Brazilians are good-natured and cheerful...
No, nor I suppose are U.S. thugs.

Not withstanding that, my personal experience and observations is as I stated.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I know, how dare a bunch of Yanks come in and help provide capital for economic growth. Bastards!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I know, how dare a bunch of Yanks come in and help provide capital for economic growth. Bastards!
I don't think Brazil needs foreign investment. They can create everything on their own, maybe at a somewhat slower pace, but that would be a good thing.
Plus the parasites from New York, London, Frankfurt, Peking etc. don't do anything in order to help, they are egoists.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think Brazil needs foreign investment. They can create everything on their own, maybe at a somewhat slower pace, but that would be a good thing.
Plus the parasites from New York, London, Frankfurt, Peking etc. don't do anything in order to help, they are egoists.
Most of the uber-rich have egos. It helps fuel them.

And besides, why does it matter from where the money comes?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Most of the uber-rich have egos. It helps fuel them.

And besides, why does it matter from where the money comes?
Well, because I would like to see Brazil build its future on its own strengths and solid independent finances. In my view US influence is bad influence, no matter where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas