Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM

111 posts, read 243,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
I have spent quite a few months in Belize. It is a beautiful little country with a very young population. Keep in mind that the entire country MIGHT have a population of 250,000 and they have a really young average age. I never felt unsafe throughout my travels, but always avoided Belize City where most of the crime does occur.

My favorite area has to be San Ignacio which is the jungle area fairly close to the Guatemalan border. If Mayan ruins are your thing, then taking a day trip to Tikal, Guatemala is the way to go. Very beautiful ruins and quite expansive in size. I am now in Ecuador and have been here for quite some time, and I saw more wildlife in its natural habitat in Belize than I have in Ecuador.

Lots of beautiful caves in Belize as well and if you are a fan of diving and fishing, then Belize is hard to beat.

You may also want to check out Ecuador. I highly recommend the country and I am now living here. Very affordable and nice people.
I've spent years in Central America on various projects. Belize is my fav and I return there at least four times each year. I agree about San Ignacio.

Ecuador? I lived and worked in Salinas and enjoyed my time there, but I won't return until they stop the wholesale slaughter of billfish for dimes per pound. From Salinas to Las Esmeraldas it's a sad situation. Inland - somewhat better, but with much higher elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I have experience with Belize I would be happy to share. My wife is from Belize, so we visit. I can confirm that most of Belize is gritty, however, just like another poster said it also has touristy areas such as San Pedro and Placencia, and private resorts on the mainland and in the Caribbean sea.
Back before there was so much resort development, all I ever heard about Belize was warnings not to go there, due to high crime. Apparently the resorts have managed to buffer themselves from that, but at what expense--marginalizing the local population? idk. But I must admit, I'm tempted by the Mayan ruins. I love snorkeling, but I can do that elsewhere in the area, without dealing with Belize. The Bay Islands off Honduras used to be great for that. Too bad Honduras got trashed by the Contra war and subsequent political issues.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Back before there was so much resort development, all I ever heard about Belize was warnings not to go there, due to high crime. Apparently the resorts have managed to buffer themselves from that, but at what expense--marginalizing the local population? idk. But I must admit, I'm tempted by the Mayan ruins. I love snorkeling, but I can do that elsewhere in the area, without dealing with Belize. The Bay Islands off Honduras used to be great for that. Too bad Honduras got trashed by the Contra war and subsequent political issues.
The Contra War was staged from Honduras, but the fighting was in Nicaragua. Why are the Bay Islands no longer great for snorkeling? Utila is one of the cheapest places in the world to learn scuba diving.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
I was very surprised to see Amish people there

Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I was very surprised to see Amish people there
The largest farms in the country are operated by Quakers and Mennonites - NOT Amish!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM

There are many reasons for increased crime.

1. A number of years ago the US emptied their prisons (setting many prisoners free) by sending many hardcore criminals back to their respective countries. They did so without telling anyone what they were charged for so no one would have a biased opinion of these people. While saving money in the penal system, this has backfired tremendously as these prisoners first grouped together in the their respective countries, then banned together regionally. Police leave them alone as they are known to ruthless and believe it or not are managed by prisoners still in US captivity.

2. The US held an "operation kingfish" which effectively cut off supply routes through the Caribbean. The drug trade then moved heavily into Central America with lots of open, protective areas.

3. In recent years, the drug trade started paying employees with guns and product instead of cash. This has led to increased violence.

4. Many Central America officials (Belize included) accepts payments to look the other way.

5. Many people have immigrated to Belize from former war zones in Central America. These people already numbed early in life bring a lot of baggage which is obvious in daily lives and can be seen in the type of crimes.

6. Administrations have different views of how to deal with crime. As hardship and poverty increase people ban together for comfort and survival. This administration has chosen not come down hard on violent criminals and has instead gone as far as to paying them to behave. Some criminals are more special then others and get more. This has caused problems.

7. We have a very inexperienced police force when it comes to the law and very sharp attorneys who can get anyone off once they are paid adequately.

8. Due to the Privy council and European grant money many "should be convicted" people get off and the death penalty cannot be implemented other we would lose our country funding.

9. The churches (with the exception of one church) have removed themselves from society either by fear or lack of concern.

10. Since Independence no administration has really thought about the people. It all been about "my party" and what is in it for me. A very humble nation was left alone to fend for themselves, seeing things in television they could never afford. When they look around they see politicians and businessmen break the law in favor of profit and get away with it. They see the drug dealers living "the life" with very little effort and above the law. It doesn't take long to draft many into the life style.

11. In Belize City the family unit is broken. Most kids raise themselves or are left with aging grandparents. Dad's are almost never around and if they do care for their child it is usually a daughter. The sons are left to fend for themselves and many are actually degraded by their mothers as 1) they remind them of the guy no longer around and 2) it is not uncommon for a mother to tell her son he is a waste if he cannot bring in any money.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM

385 posts, read 858,922 times
just returned from Belize, loved it, was in San Pedro, the people are always happy to see and help you, I stayed at Pedro's hotel, owned by locals, they treated me better then family, even helped me find and talk with realtors, I'll be going back in a few weeks to see some properties, not sure but I think I left my heart there ;-)

Last edited by dragonsong; 01-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM

270 posts, read 260,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
just returned from Belize, loved it, was in San Pedro, the people are always happy to see and help you, I stayed at Pedro's hotel, owned by locals, they treated me better then family, even helped me find and talk with realtors, I'll be going back in a few weeks to see some properties, not sure but I think I left my heart there ;-)
I'd like to hear more details on your trip there as we are think about going to Belize. Did you travel around in Belize? Any other areas/hotels you thought you wouldn't mind staying at? We want to snorkle but also get into the mainland nature areas.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
The Contra War was staged from Honduras, but the fighting was in Nicaragua. Why are the Bay Islands no longer great for snorkeling? Utila is one of the cheapest places in the world to learn scuba diving.
San Pedro Sula, where people used to get flights to the islands, has been ruined by crime and violence, and I'd heard the same about Roatan. If that info about Roatan is incorrect, please feel free to update me. But even if Roatan were it's traditionally placid self, how would one get there without going through San Pedro Sula?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

508 posts, read 889,217 times
Ah Belize if you please! How about putting up a Home Depot and Wal-Mart in country? No more trips to Mexico. What does everyone think about the McAfee story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas