Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Not much will change. For the vast majority of the US "Hispanics" is entirely synonymous with Mexicans, and they have always been a part of US culture. Hispanics in general aren't coming in mass numbers like Mexicans. If you look at the stats, almost every other group separately doesn't even reach the one percentile. The only exception is Puerto Ricans who make up 1.6% of the US population, and that's surprisingly small considering they're US citizens so they can go there freely.
Except Puerto Rico is a small island, 1.6% of the US population is nearly the population of the entire island.

Puerto Rican migration to New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4.6 million Americans claim Puerto Rican ancestry, though some might be part Puerto Rican. And no, Hispanics and Mexicans are not synonymous. The US has 21 million foreign born residents [from Latin American], and only about half of those were born in Mexico. And this excludes Puerto Ricans.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
According to what I read from the big guns, small brains crowd on P&OC, the US is going to become a crime ridden cesspit, with 3rd world living conditions and local despots ruling each town with the newly minted federales oppressing us while dealing drugs on the side.

Also, can you guys PLEASE stop lumping us in together as if we're one monolithic group that thinks the same way? I'm not Mexican, I don't look like a typical Mexican, I don't speak "Mexican", and have zero family or ancestral connections to Mexico or even Central or South America. Also, for the love of God, stop putting Puerto Ricans in the same category as every other immigrant from Latin America. We're culturally similar, yes, but we are Americans first and foremost.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM

263 posts, read 808,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except Puerto Rico is a small island, 1.6% of the US population is nearly the population of the entire island.

4.6 million Americans claim Puerto Rican ancestry, though some might be part Puerto Rican. And no, Hispanics and Mexicans are not synonymous. The US has 21 million foreign born residents [from Latin American], and only about half of those were born in Mexico. And this excludes Puerto Ricans.
Many are in fact, only half Puerto Rican. I've known plenty of Nuyoricans who were half Irish and half Italian, and many of the darker ones are half Afro-American. But that's besides the main point though, which is that the term "Hispanic" outside of the Northeast and Florida pretty much just means Mexican, since other groups are such a small minority compared to them. Like almost every stereotype Americans have about "Hispanics", negative or positive, is entirely based on how they view Mexicans.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:

You're in the norheast. In most of the rest of the country, Hispanic IS synonymous with Mexican.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 AM

308 posts, read 500,350 times
Quote:
Many are in fact, only half Puerto Rican. I've known plenty of Nuyoricans who were half Irish and half Italian, and many of the darker ones are half Afro-American. But that's besides the main point though, which is that the term "Hispanic" outside of the Northeast and Florida pretty much just means Mexican, since other groups are such a small minority compared to them. Like almost every stereotype Americans have about "Hispanics", negative or positive, is entirely based on how they view Mexicans.
A lot of Puerto Ricans in NYC are also half Dominican Republic descent too.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
According to what I read from the big guns, small brains crowd on P&OC, the US is going to become a crime ridden cesspit, with 3rd world living conditions and local despots ruling each town with the newly minted federales oppressing us while dealing drugs on the side.

Also, can you guys PLEASE stop lumping us in together as if we're one monolithic group that thinks the same way? I'm not Mexican, I don't look like a typical Mexican, I don't speak "Mexican", and have zero family or ancestral connections to Mexico or even Central or South America. Also, for the love of God, stop putting Puerto Ricans in the same category as every other immigrant from Latin America. We're culturally similar, yes, but we are Americans first and foremost.
¿What does a "typical" Mexican even look like?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Depends on where. Most Hispanics in the Northeast and Florida aren't Mexican. And they don't have a small hispanic population there, either. New York is #3 in hispanic population, Florida #4, New Jersey not far behind.
That's changing very fast and quickly. The Dominican and Mexican populations in NYC is increasing dramatically. Mexicans are becoming more and more quite common in NYC more now than ever.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Except 25% of Hispanics marry non-hispanics, and the numbers are higher once you look at US-born Hispanics, which suggests some integration. Blacks marry out far less, in comparison.

The Rise of Intermarriage - Page 7 | Pew Social & Demographic Trends - Page 7
Ah but the contradictions and intersectionality of terminologies make things tricky and even more confusing.

Hispanics are NOT a race. What about those Hispanics that marked down that they were/are racially black. What if the black stats included racially black categorized under the Hispanic/Latino ethnic category.

The Census is crazy lol!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Not much will change. For the vast majority of the US "Hispanics" is entirely synonymous with Mexicans, and they have always been a part of US culture. Hispanics in general aren't coming in mass numbers like Mexicans. If you look at the stats, almost every other group separately doesn't even reach the one percentile. The only exception is Puerto Ricans who make up 1.6% of the US population, and that's surprisingly small considering they're US citizens so they can go there freely.
Hmm not even Cubans or even Dominicans or Salvis or Colombians? Hmm

Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
¿What does a "typical" Mexican even look like?
Generally brown skin, varies to some degree. Often "exotic" looking features, especially the women. I know it's popular to be politically correct but I live 5 miles from the Mexican border, there is such a thing as a typical looking Mexican even if saying so is unpopular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.