Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone my GF and I will be going to Jamaica for a family reunion in July. My mother is from the island, but she is kinda old school and she has not lived in Jamaica since 1973. I am curious what are somethings that are not allowed or frowned upon in Jamaica. Id like to know what to pack versus what I shouldnt take. In 2011 my family went to St Lucia to meet relatives on my dads side of the family, my brothers and I were all wearing black tee shirts and army fatigues (it was the style back home in Florida that we used to wear) When landed in St Lucia my brothers and I were separated from the rest of our family and patted down ask if we were soldiers in another country's army. We were then told we were not allowed to dress the way we were dress if we wanted to leave the airport to the St Lucia population. My dad was really annoyed by this being this was his home island. So we went in our luggage and changed clothes so we could leave the St. Lucia airport for our house we were renting. To avoid any situations like this, what are some of the things that may not be allowed in Jamaica? Is there any info on dos and donts you have from prior visits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Hey everyone my GF and I will be going to Jamaica for a family reunion in July. My mother is from the island, but she is kinda old school and she has not lived in Jamaica since 1973. I am curious what are somethings that are not allowed or frowned upon in Jamaica. Id like to know what to pack versus what I shouldnt take. In 2011 my family went to St Lucia to meet relatives on my dads side of the family, my brothers and I were all wearing black tee shirts and army fatigues (it was the style back home in Florida that we used to wear) When landed in St Lucia my brothers and I were separated from the rest of our family and patted down ask if we were soldiers in another country's army. We were then told we were not allowed to dress the way we were dress if we wanted to leave the airport to the St Lucia population. My dad was really annoyed by this being this was his home island. So we went in our luggage and changed clothes so we could leave the St. Lucia airport for our house we were renting. To avoid any situations like this, what are some of the things that may not be allowed in Jamaica? Is there any info on dos and donts you have from prior visits?

In many parts of the Caribbean it is actually ILLEGAL to dress in military gear.

Males should ensure that they walk with some trousers and shirts with collars. Some restaurants don't allow short pants or shirts with no collars. You will find that short pants (for men) are used only very informally in the Caribbean. OK for general hanging out during the day. But not so OK at night. Sleeveless dresses are OK for females.

Also understand that if you are black you are expected to know better about observing the rules, even if you aren't from the Caribbean.

Basically just do what you saw people doing in St Lucia.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In many parts of the Caribbean it is actually ILLEGAL to dress in military gear.

Males should ensure that they walk with some trousers and shirts with collars. Some restaurants don't allow short pants or shirts with no collars. You will find that short pants (for men) are used only very informally in the Caribbean. OK for general hanging out during the day. But not so OK at night. Sleeveless dresses are OK for females.

Also understand that if you are black you are expected to know better about observing the rules, even if you aren't from the Caribbean.

Basically just do what you saw people doing in St Lucia.
Well there wasnt anything that I noticed about St Lucia people, other than they were very poor, but they seemed to dress the same ways poor folks dress in United States.

Understand that if im black im EXPECTED to observe THE RULES? What rules are you talking about? I thought most of Jamaica was black, has the population changed?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM

692 posts, read 956,954 times
Quote:
Well there wasnt anything that I noticed about St Lucia people, other than they were very poor, but they seemed to dress the same ways poor folks dress in United States.

Understand that if im black im EXPECTED to observe THE RULES? What rules are you talking about? I thought most of Jamaica was black, has the population changed?
What's meant by that is that if you're Black, you're not gonna get as much leeway for breaking social norms than if you're White.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
It kind of depends on where in JA you will be. The precautions you take in Kingston are much different from Negril for example.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM

39 posts, read 59,215 times
a) Don't dress like a streetcorner gangsta. For gosh sakes don't drop yer drawers
b) Don't dress like paramilitary - no black tees, camo clothing, etc
c) Dress like you are going to a wedding party without the tux.
d) Dress appropriately - women - please leave the sundresses at the beach. Don't wear them in city, maybe ok in a small village
e) Men - leave the shorts/trunks at the beach. Please wear collared shirts and tucked into long pants in city.

Your mother, as old as she is, knows the dress code - follow it!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:

People in the Caribbean assume that you are a West Indian, or that black Americans have similar values.

They will not make allowances for you walking around semi nude, or not saying "good morning", as they might for a white tourist. They consider white tourists to be at best weird, at worst half mad, but they spend money so their oddities are tolerated. Sorry to say that unless the particular white person is very friendly, and/or very interesting, or comes from an unusual country like Greece, they are seen as walking wallets. People need to earn a living and so know that being nice to them allows this.

Black people are expected to know better. They feel that you come from a culture similar to theirs, and so have similar values, and so are expected to know how to behave. Allowances like the military attire will be excused, as they will assume that you don't know the rules, and probably know that it isn't illegal in the USA. Excessively informal attire, or brusque behavior, will not be. You will find that Jamaicans are more forward than St Lucians, so are more likely to let you know what they think of you.

Just the facts. As a West Indian I hear the comments, and I am some one who grew up in the Caribbean, so I will hear things that you might not.

You asked about the rules and I gave you some. If you decide that you know it all and don't need advise well don't ask for it then. But don't parade around looking like a "tourist" and not expect comments to be made about you. Just my 2 cents.

And understand that St Lucia is nice, maybe because they are a tourist destination. In some other parts of the Caribbean walking around in military attire will result in spend some time in a police station, and not because they are telling you to enjoy your vacation either. In countries with high crime, the last thing that they want are criminals impersonating soldiers.

Last edited by caribny; 03-08-2014 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Ok so i will be traveling to Jamaica next week. What would be the cheapest way to do the money exchange, should I change it over in the States prior to getting there, or go there with US dollars and exchange it there

Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Don't call anyone a blood clot.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
People in the Caribbean assume that you are a West Indian, or that black Americans have similar values.

They will not make allowances for you walking around semi nude, or not saying "good morning", as they might for a white tourist. They consider white tourists to be at best weird, at worst half mad, but they spend money so their oddities are tolerated. Sorry to say that unless the particular white person is very friendly, and/or very interesting, or comes from an unusual country like Greece, they are seen as walking wallets. People need to earn a living and so know that being nice to them allows this.

Black people are expected to know better. They feel that you come from a culture similar to theirs, and so have similar values, and so are expected to know how to behave. Allowances like the military attire will be excused, as they will assume that you don't know the rules, and probably know that it isn't illegal in the USA. Excessively informal attire, or brusque behavior, will not be. You will find that Jamaicans are more forward than St Lucians, so are more likely to let you know what they think of you.

Just the facts. As a West Indian I hear the comments, and I am some one who grew up in the Caribbean, so I will hear things that you might not.

You asked about the rules and I gave you some. If you decide that you know it all and don't need advise well don't ask for it then. But don't parade around looking like a "tourist" and not expect comments to be made about you. Just my 2 cents.

And understand that St Lucia is nice, maybe because they are a tourist destination. In some other parts of the Caribbean walking around in military attire will result in spend some time in a police station, and not because they are telling you to enjoy your vacation either. In countries with high crime, the last thing that they want are criminals impersonating soldiers.

It sounds like the rural US in 40s or 50s. I never would have expected that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas