Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Lots of Blacks live in Latin America so I am not sure what your point is
Yes but in those countries that are mixed with people of Latin descent and/or Latin Spanish is the dominant culture and language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Yes but in those countries that are mixed with people of Latin descent and/or Latin Spanish is the dominant culture and language.
There is no such thing as a Latin Spanish culture, even remotely.

Spanish is just a language as English, it has many variants, accents, etc.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Go to Trinidad... 55% of the population is black and 45 % is Indian. Try to derive latinos from the population. Good luck!
No, not accurate. Trinidad's population is as follows:

37% Indian (South Asian)
36% African
23% Mixed and Other.

Plenty people have Hispanic/Latino heritage. It's very regular...

Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
There is no such thing as a Latin Spanish culture, even remotely.

Spanish is just a language as English, it has many variants, accents, etc.
While Spanish is just a language like English, there are obvious Latin American cultural and historical similarities. Spanish speaking (and for that matter Portuguese speaking) countries tend to have large numbers of Catholics. Large parts of Latin America have similarities in terms of music, food/cuisine, architecture, law, the beverages one drinks, sports (futbol is very common in Latin countries) etc.

The poster who wrote Latin Spanish mistyped, but that doesn't mean that they aren't many similarities across many Spanish speaking countries.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
While Spanish is just a language like English, there are obvious Latin American cultural and historical similarities. Spanish speaking (and for that matter Portuguese speaking) countries tend to have large numbers of Catholics. Large parts of Latin America have similarities in terms of music, food/cuisine, architecture, law, the beverages one drinks, sports (futbol is very common in Latin countries) etc.

The poster who wrote Latin Spanish mistyped, but that doesn't mean that they aren't many similarities across many Spanish speaking countries.

Quebec has large numbers of Catholics. So does Ireland. I have never heard any one suggest that these are part of a Latin world. Your obsession with Catholicism is baffling.

And which country do you think that the DR shares more with in terms of food, music, dance? Paraguay or Trinidad. When people define cultures from a Eurocenttric perspective and ignore the very strong African and Indigenous contribution they end up coming to nonsensical conclusions.

BTW football is very popular in Trinidad. Less so in the DR!

It is not as clear cut as you wish to pretend. Language is only PART of cultural identity.

Latin American is a very loose form of identity and not as hard and fast as you wish to suggest, which is why many even dispute its validity as a concept.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM

42 posts, read 50,670 times
I just got back from Colombia and Argentina and the term latino is hardly even used there.

I have come to the realization that the term Latino is an Americanism hardly used south of the US border.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Quebec has large numbers of Catholics. So does Ireland. I have never heard any one suggest that these are part of a Latin world. Your obsession with Catholicism is baffling.

And which country do you think that the DR shares more with in terms of food, music, dance? Paraguay or Trinidad. When people define cultures from a Eurocenttric perspective and ignore the very strong African and Indigenous contribution they end up coming to nonsensical conclusions.

BTW football is very popular in Trinidad. Less so in the DR!

It is not as clear cut as you wish to pretend. Language is only PART of cultural identity.

Latin American is a very loose form of identity and not as hard and fast as you wish to suggest, which is why many even dispute its validity as a concept.
I said nothing about Trinidad, Quebec, or Ireland. In this context, I was speaking about the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries of the Americas. There's substantial similarities in terms of DIET, RELIGION, and other various forms of culture.

Being from Guyana does not make you the defacto expert or spokesperson for everyone in the Americas.

Of course you have your own personal prejudices towards Latinos.

Of course not everything in the cultures of Latin America is Latin. Yes, there's substantial African and Native influence, and yes in many countries the African based religions are pretty influential. But if we're honest the dominant culture is very much Latin/European/Catholic. The language uses is going to be either Spanish or Portuguese.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
I just got back from Colombia and Argentina and the term latino is hardly even used there.

I have come to the realization that the term Latino is an Americanism hardly used south of the US border.
If an Argentine refers to a Paraguayan, they will say un Paraguayo. If they are going to refer to themselves, soy argentino/a. (I am Argentine). However there is definitely an awareness of being South American and Latin American.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 AM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
Spanish-speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:24 AM

42 posts, read 50,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If an Argentine refers to a Paraguayan, they will say un Paraguayo. If they are going to refer to themselves, soy argentino/a. (I am Argentine). However there is definitely an awareness of being South American and Latin American.
Being Latin American to Latin Americans has the relevance of being North American to people in the US. People don't fundamentally identify with it but they know the term.

surprisingly to me, Argentines feel more Latin American than Colombians, Colombians were quite insular to my surprise, knowing next to nothing about their neighboring countries. I found the average Colombian knew more about Miami than about neighboring Ecuador!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas