Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

55 posts, read 100,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-up ward mobility chances. I think the population of people that self-identify as black is very diverse between countries. In Canada I would agrue that the majority of people that self-identify as black are 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation Canadians. In the USA I am feeling a lot more people that self-identify as black have had family in the USA for a lot longer.

Being "black" does not really say much else about a person. I should not have to say this ... but the more I read stuff on this forum the more I realize lots of people don't really come from multicultural places in the world and might not actually get that. I think in the USA there seems to be way too much generalization and sterotyping about stuff like this. Ex if someone is black they like this or that music ... sport or whatever. Living in Toronto ( I can't speak to all places in Canada) these semingly American stereotypes don't hold true because the population of people who self-identify as black come from all over the world and do not really share that much in common in comparison to anyone else from anywhere in the world. Ex a black person from Somlia likely has more in common with the guy from Algeria who is not black then a black per from Trinidad or Colombia for cultural and religious reasons.

I am feeling her question is where out of those countries is a black woman going to feel less descriniated against.

I am going to re-direct the question to her ... you are an educate women of colour. You have already broke barriers. Just being who you already are is changing the world regardless or not if that was your intention. You might want to consider lowering this as a factor on your list and realize just by being who you are you have the opportunity to change the way people in other place in the world views people that look like you.

When you look different there are people that are going be fearful or be draw in out of curiousity. If you play it the right way as I always try to it usually works in your favour.

I saw this play/musical recently and it reminded me of this.

Passing Strange | Acting Up Stage Company

Don't let other people's possible ignorance hold too much influence over your decision on where to go.
You are correct. I just want to move to a place where I am not immediately stereotyped against. I'd love to be near a city but also in a rural enough area that I can have a small farm. I grew up and still in the south of the US and deal with racism and stereotyping every day. On the street. At my job. Amongst my own people. You may say I am giving up on the fight for equality, but I don't want to spend the rest of my days hoping for change when I feel for our country it may never come. You cannot change how a person thinks.

With that being said I love the Spanish language and culture. I would appreciate people not assuming what I'm thinking, my like and dislikes as you stated above. Freedom is what I seek. True freedom to be myself. You are correct is stating that the south where I was raised is not all that multicultural. Most people here identifying as "black" are usually descendants of former slaves or other blacks that migrated here. We have been here a long time. Then there are Caucasian and a lot of Hispanics. But, all the other cultures making us the "melting pot" are usually in bigger cities and border cities. The mindset of our people here is very narrow (generally speaking). We don't experience "different" so we do not seek "different".

And that is my dream for someone to ask me what kind of music I listen to instead of assuming. Or what movies I like or what I like to eat. They just may be surprised. Thank you for your comment. I needed to hear that from someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
You are correct. I just want to move to a place where I am not immediately stereotyped against. I'd love to be near a city but also in a rural enough area that I can have a small farm. I grew up and still in the south of the US and deal with racism and stereotyping every day. On the street. At my job. Amongst my own people. You may say I am giving up on the fight for equality, but I don't want to spend the rest of my days hoping for change when I feel for our country it may never come. You cannot change how a person thinks.

With that being said I love the Spanish language and culture. I would appreciate people not assuming what I'm thinking, my like and dislikes as you stated above. Freedom is what I seek. True freedom to be myself. You are correct is stating that the south where I was raised is not all that multicultural. Most people here identifying as "black" are usually descendants of former slaves or other blacks that migrated here. We have been here a long time. Then there are Caucasian and a lot of Hispanics. But, all the other cultures making us the "melting pot" are usually in bigger cities and border cities. The mindset of our people here is very narrow (generally speaking). We don't experience "different" so we do not seek "different".

And that is my dream for someone to ask me what kind of music I listen to instead of assuming. Or what movies I like or what I like to eat. They just may be surprised. Thank you for your comment. I needed to hear that from someone.
I've been to a number of Latin American countries. It also depends on what climate you like. Medellin and Bogota are at high altitudes and have cool climates year around.

Mexico City is at a high altitude and often (not always) cool.

Then of course there are the tropical parts of Latin America. And there are areas with a mediterranean climate.

I too love Spanish language and culture, and my family is originally from the US South as well.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
There are no restriction on buying property in Colombia for foreigners. However, you won't get any mortgage as you have no credit history in the country. Therefore you will need to go in as a cash buyer. Some US banks may loan on properties abroad. You should sign up to the Escape to Medellin vlog founded by a black American. You can see the cost of different properties in different areas of Medellin. Therefore he's doing the groundwork for you. Also its best that you find some income from the US even if its renting your home in the US as extra because the salary will be much lower in all Latin America but then so is the cost of living so its relative. But if you have an income in US dollars and add that to a local job salary then you're laughing. Teaching English doesn't pay well, only in private institutions and they're very sought after so the competition is fierce.

Condos from $75k

Good to know. I will have a house to rent out but it won't be for much extra income. I will have to think of something else as I have a few more years before I am ready to relocate. MRI techs make around 62k/yr here in Arkansas and that's the low end for the nation. I would hope it would relatively be the same cost to income ratio there, but I guess I will find out. Also I want to buy rural. Not sure how it works there, but definitely want to buy rural. If I want to stay in the city I'll stay here. I want a little nature in my lifestyle. I'm wondering if they have any owner financing type agreements among the locals as we have here in the south. Being I have no credit abroad and no telling how long it would take to build credit. I will check into US banks financing internationally. Thanks. Good info!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Default Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I would highly discourage anyone from just moving anywhere and buying property because you get a job and actually get to know the country. I have a family member that had an amazing job in Canada ( easily $300 000 a year salary... she took a promotion to work in the USA and rushed in buying a home. Even with her income and high cash deposit buying a house was a pain. Regardless in less then 3 months she moved back as she hated it. It was not what she thought it was going to be like at all. She did not like the work culture or the city. So bye bye $300 000 income ... hello back to square one. Get a taste of what you might be getting yourself in to before just jumping straing in. Unless you are a billionaire buying property is usually a big deal. You also want to understant the law related to this stuff in advanced as well. Law around are very different around the word. Ex In some countries there is not bankruptcy ex you dont pay you end up in jail case closed. Very different then the USA and Canada.
Good to know. I do plan to rent of course for a little while. But, when I decide to settle it will be somewhere rural. It would be amazing if someone would rent a farm. That would be perfect.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Colombia is a free market economy there are no issues or restrictions and things function very much as they do in North America and Europe especially when buying new developments or off-plan. What you should do though is have a real estate attorney who can check the property titles and ensure all service charges and property taxes (known as council taxes in the UK or Predial in Colombia) is paid and up to date. Also property prices are set to keep increasing in the long term so its a good investment. However, I'm very much against selling up in the US to move as well, it's best to have a one foot in both places approach as one can support the other in different times. During the financial crisis between 2007 and 2013 in Europe it was my investments abroad in South America that saved me and my home.
I agree. I never planned to sell my house or any other property I ever bring into my possession if I can help it. It would be awesome to obtain more rental homes as a long term retirement investment. I am going to research more about the rural areas down there. Even if I have to rent a farm or small house for awhile I will. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Also I want to buy rural. Not sure how it works there, but definitely want to buy rural.
Countless amounts of farmland and country around Medellin and Colombia but you need to keep in mind work is in the cities so you'll need to commute. Escape to Medellin has started to show some places just outside Medellin like Rionegro and Las Palmas. Rural properties are usually family owned and partitioned off plots of land from a massive acreage split into smaller acres. Therefore a good real estate lawyer that checks the title deeds is even more important in this scenario. Around Medellin places like Santa Elena or Rionegro/Guatape (near the airport) are good options. Maybe you could have a crash pad in Medellin like a studio apartment and the rest you invest in your retreat outside the city where you get more for your buck.

Guatape

Santa Elena

Again its not all about Medellin it just marries a lot of things like black expat community, top medical in LatAm, direct flights to the US, etc. But Bucaramanga is another city with top medical institutions as per 2016 ranking provided on the 1st page.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
When you say "owning financing type agreements" do you mean something like the following? As a cash buyer everything is negotiable...

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Countless amounts of farmland and country around Medellin and Colombia but you need to keep in mind work is in the cities so you'll need to commute. Escape to Medellin has started to show some places just outside Medellin like Rionegro and Las Palmas. Rural properties are usually family owned and partitioned off plots of land from a massive acreage split into smaller acres. Therefore a good real estate lawyer that checks the title deeds is even more important in this scenario. Around Medellin places like Santa Elena or Rionegro/Guatape (near the airport) are good options. Maybe you could have a crash pad in Medellin like a studio apartment and the rest you invest in your retreat outside the city where you get more for your buck.

Guatape

Santa Elena

Again its not all about Medellin it just marries a lot of things like black expat community, top medical in LatAm, direct flights to the US, etc. But Bucaramanga is another city with top medical institutions as per 2016 ranking provided on the 1st page.

Thank you for this. I am ok with a small portion of land. Something around 5 acres or less. I am trying to work my head around the no credit issue. I highly doubt I will be able to buy anything outright cash with a house on it. I doubt the land is that cheap. Although, it would be neat to find a local realtor site where I could actually price land. I don't mind a short commute.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Yes!

Quote:
When you say "owning financing type agreements" do you mean something like the following? As a cash buyer everything is negotiable...

Yes this is what I mean. Hopefully I will be able to find something like this on a rural property.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
Thank you for this. I will check into Panama as well. I'm sure Brazil is amazing and I do want to visit, but I would prefer a Spanish speaking country as I am already familiar with the language.
Portuguese is very easy to learn if you speak Spanish. Just a matter of learning a few verbsthat are not used in Spanish (like "ficar") and pronuntiation rules, and you'll be able to understand 70-90% of Portuguese. Being fluent is another matter but it won't take long either. At least that was my learning experience.

Quote:
I live in Arkansas. Aside from Mississippi we are just about the lowest income in the country.
Mississippi has a much higher income than any LatAm country too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas