Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times

Advertisements

Medellin looks pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,728,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Medellin looks pretty cool.
In my opinion it's over-rated but I agree it can offer a good lifestyle to many, just probably not for me.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
In my opinion it's over-rated but I agree it can offer a good lifestyle to many, just probably not for me.

It seems like a lot of foreigners are going there these days, so for that reason alone I wouldn't spend much time there. I would like to spend a lot of time in a place like "Planeta Rica" Cordoba.....Those are the type of places that really attract my attention.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 PM

127 posts, read 123,795 times
Medellin is very international

only about half of the colombians in Medellin are paisa people (the ethnic group of the region where Medellin is). the other half is colombians from elsewhere, and of course growing numbers of europeans, North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans, asians.

its a fun city to live a good life, the outskirts/suburbs are STUNNING!

Guatape (right outside the city)

Old 02-26-2017, 04:13 PM

368 posts, read 454,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Hello!
I am a Black Female looking to possibly relocate from Arkansas, U.S. to a Latin American country. I work in the medical field and when I finish school for MRI tech I want to relocate not long after. Me and my significant other will be moving together. I would like to be able to buy land (inexpensive) and have a small farm but be close enough to the city to work.

Can someone tell me the best country (ies) for me? I'm interested in Argentina, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

Things important to me:
1. Safety
2. Non racist environment
3. Friendly people
4. Decent income comparable or better than southern U.S.

And can someone explain how difficult it is to mortgage lan/home in another country if you are not a citizen.

If you want to be in a Spanish speaking country with large amounts of African descended people:
1. Dominican Republic (most Dominicans are what Americans call "light skin black" or mulatto, but have self hate for their African side, so if your lightskin or brownskin you be alright, but if your darkskin you would be almost shunned)
2. Puerto Rico (tho technically its a US territory, most Puerto Ricans have similar ancestral make up to Dominicans, but slightly lighter)
3. Cuba
4. Panama
5. Colombia
Most black/mulatto latinos live in the Spanish Caribbean or along the caribbean coast of Central & South America. While the interior parts of Central & South America, and Mexico are very native american with very very few blacks.

If you want to live in a country with a decent economy and somewhat safe:
1. Costa Rica
2. Argentina
3. Panama
4. Colombia
5. Dominican Republic
Also Mexico has a decent economy. Cuba is very safe. And Puerto Rico, being a US territory may have some benefits.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Dominican Republic can be a good option, but the biggest drawback is very limited opportunities in the field the OP wants to work in. If open to other possibilities, there are videos of African Americans living there. Here are a few (none complained about being shunned, if anything acceptance is what they seem to experience):

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

881 posts, read 924,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post

If you want to live in a country with a decent economy and somewhat safe:
1. Costa Rica
2. Argentina
3. Panama
4. Colombia
5. Dominican Republic
Also Mexico has a decent economy. Cuba is very safe. And Puerto Rico, being a US territory may have some benefits.
Argentina decent economy? Nope. 25% inflation, economy stagnation/recession for like 3 years now and, apparently, Macri's policies have done nothing more than making things worse.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Dominican Republic can be a good option, but the biggest drawback is very limited opportunities in the field the OP wants to work in. If open to other possibilities, there are videos of African Americans living there. Here are a few (none complained about being shunned, if anything acceptance is what they seem to experience):

The Dominican Republic is nice. It has a tropical climate, so anyone who goes there should keep that in mind.

Colombia's mountain valley cities have cool climates. The nations people have suggested have some pretty different climates.

You have interesting teas depending on the Latin America country. You have yierba mate in Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Southern Brazil.

In Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela you have mate de coca (coca leaf tea).

In the DR, I had te de cacao (made from the shells of the beans where we get chocolate from).

Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Dominican Republic is nice. It has a tropical climate, so anyone who goes there should keep that in mind.
The major cities have tropical climates, but the country actually has the greatest diversity in climate in the Caribbean. The type of tropical climate varies too. Santo Domingo is unquestionably hotter and much more humid than Santiago, for example. The nights are also much warmer and muggier in Santo Domingo while in Santiago its much cooler.

They also have semi-arid and desert regions with very low humidity.

Many valleys in the Central Mountains have year-round spring like weather, and some of the valleys are so high that in the winter months temperatures dip below freezing, as can be seen in this video:

It's the only place in the Caribbean where that is possible.

Most tourists that visit the DR would never guess how diverse DR's climate is. The reason is simple, about 70% of the tourists visit Punta Cana and stay there. This is what they experience and can't imagine the rest of the country being any different. Bavaro Beach is the most internationally famous Dominican beach.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:19 PM

What beaches in the DR recieve the least amount of foreign tourist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas