Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-Jordan jealous!! Did you go to Petra. I have mixed feelings about visiting Israel for personal reasons.
Yes, I was in Petra, wonderful place. I'm willing to go anywhere even Myanmar, US, Russia and Iran. I don't judge a country I visit solely on its government. Also I can usually see or try to see both sides.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:44 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I don't think there's an explanation apart from recent exposure and some people wanting to know more about what they previously didn't know much about. Threads on any subject can pop up at any time - travel, economy, infrastructure, language, rankings are also popular.

It's usually the same characters that ask these questions - people that are unexposed to the wider world or a particular world and people like you and I can inform them...nothing bad about that?
Good point. I'll keep looking at this with good eyes, but if more evidence of trolling appears I will say something.

Usually when multiple threads that at their most basic are of the same thing start to pop up in an internet forum, it has to do with some sort of trolling. People should keep an eye out for that.

If it turns out this is not the case, then no problem.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Seriously when I was teenager I did not know any black people from Latin America. Just like until being an adult I had not meet any Afro-Guyanese people. Likely because I assumed they were Jamacian or Trinidadian if I heard them speak ( the accidents can be very similar between Trinidad and Guyana). Some times you just don't cross your mind until they do.

Hey every time I tell people my family is from Trinidad I get the same reaction. So I don't think any of the questions and comments have I'll intentions.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Seriously when I was teenager I did not know any black people from Latin America..
With the exception of some people from the islands, there are very few Black Latinos here in Canada. I met some black people from the coast of Ecuador and thats about it.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
I don't think there's an explanation apart from recent exposure and some people wanting to know more about what they previously didn't know much about. Threads on any subject can pop up at any time - travel, economy, infrastructure, language, rankings are also popular.

It's usually the same characters that ask these questions - people that are unexposed to the wider world or a particular world and people like you and I can inform them...nothing bad about that?
Some of this is definitely trolling and good grief, people can go on wikipedia or actually use the internet to do legitimate research. Asking questions like this on forums isn't real research because the names are anonymous and anyone can make up anything.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Good point. I'll keep looking at this with good eyes, but if more evidence of trolling appears I will say something.

Usually when multiple threads that at their most basic are of the same thing start to pop up in an internet forum, it has to do with some sort of trolling. People should keep an eye out for that.

If it turns out this is not the case, then no problem.
I agree with you. It's trolling, and this thread got created after another thread got LOCKED.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with you. It's trolling, and this thread got created after another thread got LOCKED.
Race is a sensitive subject but a mature discussion can sometimes aid in opening eyes and breaking down barriers. Looking at homenj's other posts I don't see any signs of racism just genuine curiosity. Here's a post of his on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I feel the one drop rule is a product of colonialism. This is 2018, can't we get rid of it and let people decide what they race they want to identify as, as long as maybe they are at least a quarter of that race? I don't know what percentage you would have to be but it is just an example. Transgenders can say what gender they want to identify with, can't we do the same with race, as long as you at least have some of it in your blood?
Jumping to conclusions and assumptions is one of the main problems where snap judgement accusations mean the issue will never be solved. It's imperative we take every opportunity, even a negative one, to educate.

No I don't think that homenj is a troll unlike posters like Oraculo or Good Hombre who clearly hold racist views. I don't even think CaribNy is racist, somewhat misguided & prejudice, yes.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Race is a sensitive subject but a mature discussion can sometimes aid in opening eyes and breaking down barriers. Looking at homenj's other posts I don't see any signs of racism just genuine curiosity. Here's a post of his on another thread.

Jumping to conclusions and assumptions is one of the main problems where snap judgement accusations mean the issue will never be solved. It's imperative we take every opportunity, even a negative one, to educate.

No I don't think that homenj is a troll unlike posters like Oraculo or Good Hombre who clearly hold racist views. I don't even think CaribNy is racist, somewhat misguided & prejudice, yes.
I do see your points, particularly about mature discussions and education.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do see your points, particularly about mature discussions and education.
I understand your concerns about trolling but my intent is not to troll, just for constructive dialogue.

Anyways I will be going to Colombia this summer so i figured why not start this thread?

I never took an interest in going to Colombia until I have decided to go for some important business.

If I come off as trolling, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

I never took an interest in going to Colombia until I have decided to go for some important business.
I really don't mean to perpetuate stereotypes but this just sounds dodgy. Lol.

1st you had zero interest, now you have business there. All this while creating a thread on Colombians and race.

You really should express yourself better in order not to be misinterpreted. What does the "race" of Colombians have to do with your business in Colombia? Maybe Antonio and NyWriter are right and I'm just being naive. I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas