U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Mexico City or Santiago De Chile to live abroad (learn Spanish and work)
Mexico City 10 43.48%
Santiago De Chile 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Are you disagreeing with the fact that Mexico City is a global city? I would think a claim like that would be hard to argue, despite the fact it is not that diverse.
I disagree, yes. If you were to ask anyone in Europe, USA, Africa, or Asia to tell you the first 10 cities in the world they consider to be "global", Mexico City would never make the cut.
Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing aren't particularly diverse, yet they are global cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Economically, culturally, politically, environmentally, etc., it is very influential.
More so than San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, Guatemala City, Quito, I don't dispute that. Within Latin America it is no more influential than São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires. Still, I don't consider none of the aforementioned cities to be Global Cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
most important Spanish speaking city in the world perhaps only rivaled by Madrid but I think in terms of importance it has even there beat, it has to be up there (Top 20-and as a destination, in my opinion, it's Top 10, if not Top 5-maybe my favorite major city I've visited, and I've been all over)
Preferences are just preferences. Mexico City is to the Spanish-speaking/Central world what Lagos is to West Africa, Delhi to the Indian subcontinent, Almaty to Central Asia, a large city of REGIONAL importance unlike New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Toronto, Moscow and a few other.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)
 
5,171 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Reputation: 4269
Mexico City is the most important Spanish-speaking city in the world, more than Madrid. Mexico City is more important than Moscow and Toronto too. The only Latin American city that is above Mexico City is Sao Paulo, but places like Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro are at inferior levels to Mexico City.



https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2016t.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:49 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Mexico City is the most important Spanish-speaking city in the world, more than Madrid. Mexico City is more important than Moscow and Toronto too. The only Latin American city that is above Mexico City is Sao Paulo, but places like Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro are at inferior levels to Mexico City.
The ranking you quote is one among other the 2018 ATKerney Global city report is the following

https://www.atkearney.com/documents/...2-408285d4bb7c


Regarding the one you posted, while I would tend to agree with their Alpha ++ and Alpha + cities, I really can't see MC, Warsaw and Johannesburg and Istanbul ranking higher than Amsterdam, Brussels, and Los Angeles. It even puts Manila and Bogota at the same level as San Francisco, a city where much of humanity technological progress is made.
The bottom line is that we could go on about what makes a global city for days, but a place where access to running water, paved roads, drinkable tap water and a sewer system isn't dangerously close to 100% isn't one for sure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:49 PM
 
251 posts, read 189,863 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
The ranking you quote is one among other the 2018 ATKerney Global city report is the following

https://www.atkearney.com/documents/...2-408285d4bb7c


Regarding the one you posted, while I would tend to agree with their Alpha ++ and Alpha + cities, I really can't see MC, Warsaw and Johannesburg and Istanbul ranking higher than Amsterdam, Brussels, and Los Angeles. It even puts Manila and Bogota at the same level as San Francisco, a city where much of humanity technological progress is made.
The bottom line is that we could go on about what makes a global city for days, but a place where access to running water, paved roads, drinkable tap water and a sewer system isn't dangerously close to 100% isn't one for sure.
Wait...what are you on about? What metrics do you have in mind when you say CDMX is not on par with Los Angeles or Chicago? Quality of life?

Sure, the worst parts of CDMX are worse than the worst parts of LA or Chicago.

But that is NOT the single criteria used to gage the global influence a city can project.

Mexico is already the 11th largest economy globally and it is one of the few trillion dollar economies.

As I mentioned earlier, distribution of capital within Mexico is heavily imbalanced - with the majority of wealth concentrated in the capital.

CDMX is indeed a Global City - it is the primate center of a G20 economy.

You keep hopping on the traumatic inequality of CDMX as reason enough to dismiss it as a "Global" city. I agree that inequality is an issue NOT to be overlooked, however it does not diminish the economic stature of the city.

Last edited by sf_arkitect; 12-04-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)
 
5,171 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
The ranking you quote is one among other the 2018 ATKerney Global city report is the following

https://www.atkearney.com/documents/...2-408285d4bb7c


Regarding the one you posted, while I would tend to agree with their Alpha ++ and Alpha + cities, I really can't see MC, Warsaw and Johannesburg and Istanbul ranking higher than Amsterdam, Brussels, and Los Angeles. It even puts Manila and Bogota at the same level as San Francisco, a city where much of humanity technological progress is made.
The bottom line is that we could go on about what makes a global city for days, but a place where access to running water, paved roads, drinkable tap water and a sewer system isn't dangerously close to 100% isn't one for sure.
You don´t seem to understand the power that Mexico City has.

Around the world when people think of Latin America, and especially of Spanish America, they imagine that its all like Mexico. It doesn´t matter if its people in China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, USA, Nigeria, etc; everywhere the images that pop into peoples minds when Latin America is mentioned are all Mexican cultural references.

Around the world Mexican television programs, such as the famous novelas, are consumed in the original Spanish language they are filmed as well as dubbed to other languages. Mexican movies are well received in many countries. Mexican singers and music are also well known. Mexican companies have major investments in several countries. The Mexican Stock Exchange is one of the most important in the world.

All of that and more radiates from Mexico City.

Then there´s all the culture that exist in that great city. For example, did you know that Mexico City has more museums than any other city in the world except London?

There is no question that Mexico City is a global city, the most relevant of the Spanish-speaking cities with an influence that spans the world like no other.

Sometimes I wonder if you have truly visited Mexico City. Your views of Mexico City (not just in this thread) are more in tune with the opinion of people that haven´t been there than of those that have.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-04-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 10:54 AM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Wait...what are you on about? What metrics do you have in mind when you say CDMX is not on par with Los Angeles or Chicago? Quality of life?
Your question is pretty self-explanatory. Saying that there are enough Mexicans living in Los Angeles legally and illegally to make it the second city with most Mexican population and that Los Angeles isn't even located in Mexico, is already enough of an answer.
Los Angeles attracts many Asians, Indians, Americans, even some Europeans. On the other hand Mexico attracts...Mexicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Mexico is already the 11th largest economy globally and it is one of the few trillion dollar economies.
Mexico being the 11th largest economy in the world doesn't make it the 11th richest country in the world. The mexican economy is only large because Mexico has a large population. Large doesn't mean wealthy, per capita. Inequality has nothing to do with it. GDP per capita bypasses the income disparity skew and shows Mexico is medium income country typical of developing nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
CDMX is indeed a Global City - it is the primate center of a G20 economy.
The caravan of migrants from Central America that's all over the news crossed Mexico for an infinitesimal chance of crossing into a country where they're not welcome. Mexico City the "Global City" was half their way, still they were not too impressed by it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 AM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You don´t seem to understand the power that Mexico City has.

Around the world when people think of Latin America, and especially of Spanish America, they imagine that its all like Mexico. It doesn´t matter if its people in China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, USA, Nigeria, etc; everywhere the images that pop into peoples minds when Latin America is mentioned are all Mexican cultural references.
I don't live in Mexico so I think I have a more object perspective on how Mexican culture is viewed abroad. In the US maybe, because a huge Mexican diaspora lives there. In other parts of the world most people have no clear notion of what Mexico is like. Foreigners think all Latin American countries are the same, In fact many think Mexico is a place in South America with drug dealers, and where people live in favelas and dance salsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Around the world Mexican television programs, such as the famous novelas, are consumed in the original Spanish language they are filmed as well as dubbed to other languages. Mexican movies are well received in many countries. Mexican singers and music are also well known.
If by "around the world" you mean Spanish-speaking Latin American countries+ Mexican diaspora in the US, I agree with you. If by "the World" you mean "the world", I say no. Personally I've never watched any Mexican movie nor TV show in Europe, I wouldn't be able to name a single Mexican singer. Europeans (including Spaniards) consume European-made and American movies, singers, tv shows. I'm pretty sure the same pattern goes for Africans, Middle Easterns, and Asians. To each their own. I just can't picture your average German, French, Russian or Chinese watching a Mexican soap opera while rocking to some banda music, and neither can you. It's just out of place. The only Hispanic-ish tv show I can recall was "Ugly Betty", but it was the American remake of the Colombian original production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There is no question that Mexico City is a global city, the most relevant of the Spanish-speaking cities with an influence that spans the world like no other.
Global means global. A global city is enticing enough to attract people from all over the world. Tokyo is attractive beyond Asia, so is Seoul. If you feel the need to qualify your statement by adding " in Spanish-speaking cities" then it's not global. I don't dispute the fact that is an important player within the Hispanophone Americas, but outside of it sphere of influence it's influence is next to none, which makes Mexico City a regional power.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM
 
251 posts, read 189,863 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Your question is pretty self-explanatory. Saying that there are enough Mexicans living in Los Angeles legally and illegally to make it the second city with most Mexican population and that Los Angeles isn't even located in Mexico, is already enough of an answer.
Los Angeles attracts many Asians, Indians, Americans, even some Europeans. On the other hand Mexico attracts...Mexicans.
Mexico being the 11th largest economy in the world doesn't make it the 11th richest country in the world. The mexican economy is only large because Mexico has a large population. Large doesn't mean wealthy, per capita. Inequality has nothing to do with it. GDP per capita bypasses the income disparity skew and shows Mexico is medium income country typical of developing nation
The caravan of migrants from Central America that's all over the news crossed Mexico for an infinitesimal chance of crossing into a country where they're not welcome. Mexico City the "Global City" was half their way, still they were not too impressed by it.
WHOOAA!!! Your post is non-sense! I am amazed how many people there are on this forum like you. People who cling to subjective and poorly informed ideas of Mexico and Latin America. It's disgusting and offensive because it's tinged with so much ignorance.

Do you know what GDP is??? GDP is not a translation of population size!!

If it were, then China and India should have been the 1st and 2nd largest economies respectively throughout the entire 19th and 20th century. BUT they were not!

GDP is a measure of all forms of capital and productivity in a country! NOT a measure of population size.

If you don't believe me, here is a credible source, a definition provided by our very own US Dept. of Commere: https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/fi...ion-by-BEA.pdf

And an example, Germany is the world's 4th largest economy (population around 80 million people), it's economy is much larger than that of Pakistan (population +190 million)!

There is tremendous wealth in Mexico City for reasons I mentioned in an earlier post! It's just concentrated immensely into the hands of a few people. It's Gini coefficient (an index of inequality) sadly reflects this.

Btw, your thoughts on the caravan migrants is very telling of your sentiments (read misunderstanding/ignorance on Latin America).

For all of Mexico's wealth and economic advancement, it is still not a destination for migrants because of the degree of corruption and impunity that transcends all levels of society. I hope that the new president (the first leftist in power since the 1930s) can do something to change that.

But I digress, CDMX is indeed a global center. It is the leading city in the Americas and the foremost city in the Spanish speaking world. That gives the city a measurable degree of gravitas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 03:28 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
WHOOAA!!! Your post is non-sense! I am amazed how many people there are on this forum like you. People who cling to subjective and poorly informed ideas of Mexico and Latin America. It's disgusting and offensive because it's tinged with so much ignorance.

Do you know what GDP is??? GDP is not a translation of population size!!

If it were, then China and India should have been the 1st and 2nd largest economies respectively throughout the entire 19th and 20th century. BUT they were not!

GDP is a measure of all forms of capital and productivity in a country! NOT a measure of population size.

If you don't believe me, here is a credible source, a definition provided by our very own US Dept. of Commere: https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/fi...ion-by-BEA.pdf

And an example, Germany is the world's 4th largest economy (population around 80 million people), it's economy is much larger than that of Pakistan (population +190 million)!

I think you don't understand what GDP means. I'll try explaining. Mexico’s GDP is $1,046,002 million, which may sound like a lot, but the moment you realize it took 120 million inhabitants to produce and is divided among as many people things come into perspective. For instance, Denmark’s GDP is $306,730 millions which is a lot less than Mexico's. Some might believe that Mexico must be much wealthier than Denmark. However, Denamrk’s population is barely 5 millions, 24 times less than Mexico’s. In other words, with an equal population Denmark’s GDP would be $7,361,520 millions. This means that one Danish worker produces as much as 7 Mexicans. By the same token, one Dane has as much wealth as 7 mexicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
There is tremendous wealth in Mexico City for reasons I mentioned in an earlier post! It's just concentrated immensely into the hands of a few people. It's Gini coefficient (an index of inequality) sadly reflects this.
Even if all the Mexican wealth was arithmetically averaged and equally split among all the citizens, Mexico would be #70 between Saint Lucia and Kazakhstan, so you see that it's not just a matter of "inequality".


Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Btw, your thoughts on the caravan migrants is very telling of your sentiments (read misunderstanding/ignorance on Latin America).
You're throwing your own scenario in there. People want to feel safe and search for a better life, it's only human and I don't blame them for that. Apparently they seem to believe they can achieve that in the US and not in Mexico, not an opinion just a fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
For all of Mexico's wealth and economic advancement, it is still not a destination for migrants because of the degree of corruption and impunity that transcends all levels of society. I hope that the new president (the first leftist in power since the 1930s) can do something to change that.
I think that the Mexican's minimum wage being $3.94 per day shies away potential immigrants far more than corruption.
I am not trying to belittle Mexico nor Mexicans, I am just trying to be fair and have a matter of fact approach. Saying that Mexico is terrible s####hole is racist, saying that Mexico is a global superpower is chauvinistic BS.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)
 
5,171 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I don't live in Mexico so I think I have a more object perspective on how Mexican culture is viewed abroad. In the US maybe, because a huge Mexican diaspora lives there. In other parts of the world most people have no clear notion of what Mexico is like. Foreigners think all Latin American countries are the same, In fact many think Mexico is a place in South America with drug dealers, and where people live in favelas and dance salsa.

If by "around the world" you mean Spanish-speaking Latin American countries+ Mexican diaspora in the US, I agree with you. If by "the World" you mean "the world", I say no. Personally I've never watched any Mexican movie nor TV show in Europe, I wouldn't be able to name a single Mexican singer. Europeans (including Spaniards) consume European-made and American movies, singers, tv shows. I'm pretty sure the same pattern goes for Africans, Middle Easterns, and Asians. To each their own. I just can't picture your average German, French, Russian or Chinese watching a Mexican soap opera while rocking to some banda music, and neither can you. It's just out of place. The only Hispanic-ish tv show I can recall was "Ugly Betty", but it was the American remake of the Colombian original production.


Global means global. A global city is enticing enough to attract people from all over the world. Tokyo is attractive beyond Asia, so is Seoul. If you feel the need to qualify your statement by adding " in Spanish-speaking cities" then it's not global. I don't dispute the fact that is an important player within the Hispanophone Americas, but outside of it sphere of influence it's influence is next to none, which makes Mexico City a regional power.
Are you really that clueless or are you pretending?

I don´t live in Mexico either and don´t have any connections to that country, yet somehow I´m aware of certain aspects of Mexican culture that you refuse to recognize.

“It is a testament to the telenovelas’ success that many of the plot lines are reused or rebroadcast in different countries after being adapted to their national language/dialect variation and cultural reconfiguration.

This transcultural element is only heightened by the incredible export success of telenovelas throughout the Americas, particularly in the United States, and all over the world, including places like Egypt and Russia.”

Mexican Telenovelas - Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Latin American History

As for Mexican singers, lets use Paulina Rubio as proxy of Mexican influence abroad. Since you claim no one in Europe know Mexican singers, lets focus on their European live concerts. Care to explain how it is possible that Paulina Rubio made the following concerts in:

Oslo, Norway


Moscow, Russia


Madrid, Spain


Rome, Italy


London, UK


Milan, Italy


An advertisement in France (and in French) for one of her albums


I perfectly understand that you are just one person and your opinions on Mexico City has no effect on its actual international influence. All over the world when people think of Latin America, they associate it was images and stereotypes that are Mexican. That´s not pure coincidence.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-05-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top