Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:44 AM

83 posts, read 64,790 times

Advertisements

Brazil is a very conservative society. It wasn't always that way, back in the 90's Brazil was very hedonistic and open.

There are countries in Latin America that are much more hedonistic than Brazil. Examples would Argentina, Cuba even with its communism, the old Venezuela prior to this mess was the queen of the hedonistic way of life, Colombia today is pretty much hedonism turned society.

However not all of Latin America follows the same pattern.

I find that countries with more indigenous /native American component like Peru, Mexico, Guatemala, Bolivia, Honduras tend to be more religious and evangelical.

I visited Mexico in 1997 with several people from Colombia and Venezuela.

As we made our way into Zacatecas in northern Mexico, the weather got warmer and the Young Colombian and Venezuelan ladies took our their tops and tiny shorts.

One of them didn't see anything wrong with riding a motorcycle with very tiny shorts around town, while the local Mexicans felt awkward as ladies generally ride motorcicles sitting sideways and would never go out in such tiny shorts.

What I found interesting was the reaction of the visitors, because the Colombians and Venezuelans arrogantly enjoyed showing off and being the center of attention.

The Sharp contrast of morals and principles was visible.

The Colombians were vastly sexualized and very eager to show off so they could stand out and be noticed, while the Mexicans were far more concious and modest and tried not to stand out. (I am not saying one is better than the other) but the different concepts of morality vary tremendously from country to country in Latin america.

You can also observe it on the TV.

In some Latin American countries like Argentina or Colombia, tv series include cursing, nudity, gay kisses, boobs…. while in Central America that would be pretty much off tv.

Last edited by rovia; 02-11-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
I met many foreigner visiting Brazil for business and their impression is that ‘’Brazilians know enjoy the life’’. I think the point is how we live in a country with good climate all year long, fulled of beachs and natural atractions, Brazilians naturally do much outdoor activities.
The meat and beer are cheap in Brazil so we are always in our spare time meeting friends and family for barbecures, it looks like if we are always celebrating but it is more for lunch in family.

The carnival parade and touristic oriented areas of Rio de Janeiro and in the Brazilian Notheast coast (also tourist fun oriented) is another point, most Brazilians in these areas are in there vacation also like the foreigner, but the last think we live this life all year long.
Last thing sex prostitution in Brazil is legal and well organizated business, so for men from countries where it is repressed Brazil looks the paradise. There are many clubs in Brazil where men can find top model looking women and pay her for having sex with no trouble.

This is nothing to be proud of at one time Brazilian prostitutes were "invading" Portugal anyway they were common enough that pretty much all the local Brazilian women we suspected of being Putas. Not a good thing and nothing to be proud of.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

This is nothing to be proud of at one time Brazilian prostitutes were "invading" Portugal anyway they were common enough that pretty much all the local Brazilian women we suspected of being Putas. Not a good thing and nothing to be proud of.
It is nothing question of be proud or not, but I think if some women want charge for have sex and some men want pay for that is just their business, both are adults.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM
AFP

Quote:
It is nothing question of be proud or not, but I think if some women want charge for have sex and some men want pay for that is just their business, both are adults.
All I can say is melhor no Brazil que em Portugal. I'm not a misogynist but I see some benefits to there still being a strong stigma to the label of **** in some parts of the world. Those sorts of tourists in my view are some of the most vile as they pretty much come for one reason and view all women in the countries they frequent as Putas.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Brazilians in Portugal indeed suffer from the image of female prostitutes and male crooks. But it is getting better I think...

(Personally, I find prostitution and the banalization of it depressing. One of the few aspects where I am rather conservative.)

Some things might seem contradictory at first. Like Brazilian women's extremely revealing swimwear. In reality it is conservative in a way as complete nudity is kind of taboo.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:40 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
All I can say is melhor no Brazil que em Portugal. I'm not a misogynist but I see some benefits to there still being a strong stigma to the label of **** in some parts of the world. Those sorts of tourists in my view are some of the most vile as they pretty much come for one reason and view all women in the countries they frequent as Putas.

Yes I agree Sex tourist are douche bags and they often tend to view all Latinas in the same way. Not just the ones from the countries they visit.

I agree with what the other poster wrote above. Guatemala is a right wing ultra conservative paradise. Though I have to say showing off your ass and having implants doesn't make a place socially enlightened or a liberal progressive paradise either. That often just looks trashy and vulgar. Most Colombians and Venezuelans I run into are also hardcore rightwingers.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:13 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,161 times
Quote:
[/b]
To tell the truth, brazilian prostitution is just not illegal, but it isn't regulated either. And exploring prostitution of someone else - for example, owning a night and hiring women to work there as prostittues - is illegal.

As for what happens in Portugal... well, as both countries speak the same language, Portugal will be the obvious choice for the least educated brazilians to emigrate, since they don't have to learn another language. Meanwhile, the most educated brazilians go to Germany, France, Britain, Canada, USA, where the criteria for receiving immigrants is more rigid and there is a language barrier, forcing them to learn. As a result, the people of these countries have a much better concept of Brazil than Portugal or even Spain have.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
To tell the truth, brazilian prostitution is just not illegal, but it isn't regulated either. And exploring prostitution of someone else - for example, owning a night and hiring women to work there as prostittues - is illegal.

As for what happens in Portugal... well, as both countries speak the same language, Portugal will be the obvious choice for the least educated brazilians to emigrate, since they don't have to learn another language. Meanwhile, the most educated brazilians go to Germany, France, Britain, Canada, USA, where the criteria for receiving immigrants is more rigid and there is a language barrier, forcing them to learn. As a result, the people of these countries have a much better concept of Brazil than Portugal or even Spain have.
There are especific night clubs / hotels for prostitution in Brazil like the Bahamas and Scandalo, the two most famous of São Paulo, and the way for these kind of night clubs / hotels work legally in Brazil is because they don’t hire the girls. The women pay the enter there (like the men) to find their customers and the men negotiate and pay direct to her. The clubs make money with entrance tickets, selling overpriced drinks, and renting rooms.

I think this arrangement works perfect, in countries where prostitution is really forbidden is common happen humam traffic with woman being forced prostitute, or doing that clandestine without the night clubs security extructure to protect the women. Capitalism always finds the solution.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post

There are educated Brazilians in Portugal as well but they are fewer in number there isn't a demand for well qualified Brazilians unless they want to start a business.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
There are especific night clubs / hotels for prostitution in Brazil like the Bahamas and Scandalo, the two most famous of São Paulo, and the way for these kind of night clubs / hotels work legally in Brazil is because they don’t hire the girls. The women pay the enter there (like the men) to find their customers and the men negotiate and pay direct to her. The clubs make money with entrance tickets, selling overpriced drinks, and renting rooms.

I think this arrangement works perfect, in countries where prostitution is really forbidden is common happen humam traffic with woman being forced prostitute, or doing that clandestine without the night clubs security extructure to protect the women. Capitalism always finds the solution.
It doesn't have anything to do with capitalism.
And that sort of lack of morals and values that made a lot of Brazilians vote for Bolsonaro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas