Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 AM

154 posts, read 154,393 times

Advertisements

Why would you want to leave Olympia? I live on the Eastside near Big Toms. There's no Food Coop in Anchorage. There are few jobs in Alaska, unless you want to be a cop. There's all kinds of law enforcement jobs in Alaska - it's a police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Why would you want to leave Olympia? I live on the Eastside near Big Toms. There's no Food Coop in Anchorage. There are few jobs in Alaska, unless you want to be a cop. There's all kinds of law enforcement jobs in Alaska - it's a police state.
then why are you even here on the forum??? psssthttt stay in Fornicationtia and out of Alaska!! thank you very much!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Do yourself a huge favor, if you can afford it. Send your child to a private school in Anchorage. I lived in the Seattle area for a few years, the schools are better there. Anchorage is not known for its public education. Now don't get me wrong, our schools are not the worst in the country, but they are not the in the top echelon either.

Answer to your question for public school - Trailside Elementary which is next door to Service High School.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM

65 posts, read 268,590 times
Why leave Oympia? JoeMama I am by no means a Evergreener as you would appear. I am why more conservative then this liberal state. Alaska has very cool people and a beautiful state. More fishing, hunting, ice hockey, climbing then most places.

Sorry quakinator you got your panties in a bunch but I never implied I was upset or thin skin. I have all the threads printed you referenced, just thought I would ask something (thread) that was fresh. You are correct I should ask more direct questions. Whats your favorite beer? Will buy you one when I get there and shoot the crap, never meant anything in any post Like I said, I respect the peoples point of view on this site much better then the Anchorage site. No harm no foul. I can and do chill with the best of them! Flying up either next weekend or Memorial weekend.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM

218 posts, read 518,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6369 View Post
No worries. I have done the searching (before the post) on this site and also posted on the Anchorage site. I find that site, well none responsive. I have viewed 1000's of posts/threads on this one and respected the people.
I guess I will go on my own. Will find the neighborhood we decide is the best, purchase out of state fishing for 1 yr (thanks Jason). Will find friends in Anchorage, was hoping for 1 or 2 from here, guess not.

Love the photos though on this site!
Please re-read your above post. To me it seemed to be an overreactive, petty, dramatized response to my suggestion. Direct questions are good and if you take the time to think of good questions there are a multitude of people here kind enough to provide so much useful information. Best of luck to you in your search for more about Alaska. And like I said, it's nothing personal, I just want you to get answers. There's nothing more frustrating when someone posts for the first time here and asks:

1) Where are the good neighborhoods in Anchorage?
2) Are the schools good?
3) I've heard there's a lot of crime in Anchorage, is it true?

Keep us updated on your move.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Nothing personal taken. Well not really you didn't say what your favorite beer was... I am finding answers, thank you. We will keep the move posted. Sure can't wait to get there and fish but not liking the out-of-state fees but only for 1 yr. If it keeps others out, more fish for the locals. Might wait 1 yr to hunt though. Can't wait for the first Moose, have a friend up there that sends some once in a will, it is the very BEST!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
I don't want to come across as rude, that's not my intention, but do a simple search in the search box for "good schools in Anchorage" or "good neighborhoods in anchorage" or "Eagle River."
Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 05-07-2009 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: No Advertising

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Thanks Catus,
Have done after much recommendation. Thanks!

Last edited by tomcat6369; 05-06-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Tom, that is spam!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM

218 posts, read 518,644 times
As to my favorite beer. I'd have to say rootbeer. I'm not a drinker, I've never tasted alcohol unless you count the beignets flambee (flaming donuts) in France or beer bread my grandma used to make. I cook with wine sometimes though too, I just have never had a desire to drink. When I was up in Fairbanks we'd all go down to the bar and I'd have a Dr. Pepper and a cheese fry

The fishing is worth the out of state fee, I had a blast on the Deshka, the Kenai, the Russian and even Ship Creek. There are so many places to go and fish it will be the best money you've ever spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage